Do you get a good feeling when you give away nice lights to people?

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am going to visit my family out of town later this year and I was going to get a hotel room for the few days I'll be there, but my cousin offered to let me stay at his house, at no charge of course.

So, in appreciation for that, I just got the idea to give him one of my nicer lights that I dont hardly ever use and is in new condition with all the original accessories. I try and take very good care of almost all my lights, and that pays off at times like this. The one I'm thinking of giving him is my Jetbeam PC-10, which I just bought last summer. I like my BC-10, so I assumed I'd really like the PC-10 which costs almost twice as much but comes with a case. and has more options and modes as well as supposedly being brighter.

But I really havent used it or the PA-10 I bought at the same time much. So it just sits in a cabinet only being used once a month for a few minutes. I havent even changed batteries in it yet. Its a nice light with a very nice heavy duty waterproof case and a nice holster. It doesnt have any scratches either. I also took a spade drill bit and drilled holes in the foam that sits in the case, so I could store 8 extra CR123 batteries snugly in the case, which worked out great, so I'll include several extra CR123's.

He owns a few small real estate properties that he rents to businesses, so I'm sure it'll come in handy for him as a small-ish EDC light that runs on a CR123. When I think about giving away a light to someone that doesnt have a decent LED light and isnt aware of their potential, it kinda feels really good! Of course I'll be down 1 light, but thats 1 light I dont use much, so it wont be missed too badly. PLus I know that anyone who I give a light to will remember I hooked them up with it every time they use it and it makes their life easier, so that makes me feel good.

Do you get the same feeling when you give away a light?

Vesper

Enlightened
Thanks HighlanderNorth - nice reminder for all of us that focusing on others is a gift itself. Do you think he'll appreciate it more than say a $15 maglite? Good call on including extra batteries. Most ppl don't know that you can buy 123s for $1.25 online. Instead they get them at the grocery store for $6. Oh yea, gratz on quitting smoking.

Vsin

Newly Enlightened
I love purchasing lights for close friends and family as well as multi-tools! I usually only purchase it for them if I think they will find it useful which pretty much everyone does.

I bought my sister who is in medical school the FourSevens Preon2 as a pen light. I wanted to get the High CRI but she loves it even if the low low isn't quite low enough.

My brother in the Navy I bought a Fenix LD10 which is perfect because of the tail clicky and very powerful.

My cousin at UCLA I bought a Preon1 because he only needs it for late night hikes and finding his way back to the dorms.

My girlfriend I purchased a Fenix E05 because I believed that was the only way she'd carry it with her and it had amazing battery life. It died on us so I purchased her a Preon1 with a clicky accessory for replacement.

My dad I gave my own Zebra SC51 when I purchased my SC52 because it's all he would talk about when I was home. He uses it to check the backyard late at night and taking out the trash.

In conclusion, yeah. I treat the people closest to me well and try to get them to see the light. :p

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like giving them, but generally they are less appreciative.

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks HighlanderNorth - nice reminder for all of us that focusing on others is a gift itself. Do you think he'll appreciate it more than say a $15 maglite? Good call on including extra batteries. Most ppl don't know that you can buy 123s for $1.25 online. Instead they get them at the grocery store for $6. Oh yea, gratz on quitting smoking.

Its hard to say whether he'll appreciate it more than a simple mini maglight. I also dont even know if he has an EDC light, but I imagine that like most people, he doesnt. I doubt anyone will appreciate these lights more than we do, but as long as they help the people we give them to, then I guess thats a win, it just would be nice if they did appreciate them as much as we do. I gave BC-10's to a few family members for Christmas of 2011, and my mom seems to appreciate hers somewhat and she said she uses it periodically, but now she's got an iphone for the first time, and she really digs the dumb flashlight app, because of the novelty value of a phone with a flashlight, so I get the feeling she's now using the flashlight app instead of reaching down into her purse to find the BC-10.

When I gave my dad a BC-10 in 2011, he said that he gets lots of these cheaper LED lights for free from some company he deals with, but that the BC-10 was much brighter than the cheap ones, so I assume he uses it.

Last edited:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I gift lights to those I know like them.

MOST people I know don't really "get it"...and a flashlight to them is like a bottle opener...they keep it in a drawer, and use it if they have to open a bottle, etc....but they would not go out and buy a $100 bottle opener.

Trying to explain that the $100 bottle opener opens bottles MUCH better is a waste of breath as they seem to feel that if the bottle opens, its open, and can't be any more open than that, etc.

(That's what prattling on about lights sounds like to them at least...)

For the "Appreciative" -

For example - I can give my brother a good light, as he appreciates them, and has a bunch of his own, etc....we can even do comparison shots when out fishing, etc....he's into it.

I can give my dad a good light for similar reasons, IF it fits in his pocket....

And, my wife, recently, also if its small and has a simple UI, and no strobe (She HATES twisties...and since her strokes, strobe sends her into seizures)

My LEO and offroad buddies generally are into lights, esp if they can be weapon mounted, etc.

One of my sons, who's just getting into forensic investigations for the past 2 years or so is suddenly a bit more interested...He EDC's, and seems to be foraging for lights in my office, as he comes/goes, and stuff is missing a lot. :D

One of my other kids seemed to get interested during the hurricanes we've had, and now has a shelf with a dozen lights on it (None mine so far...unless he hides them if he knows I might visit), but he doesn't EDC one yet.

herosemblem

Enlightened
No, I do not get a similar good feeling because the gifted lights are not cherished or utilized by the recipients as much as I cherish or care for them.

There are, of course, exceptions to this rule, which others will explain if they feel necessary.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flashlights are one of those tools that most people still don't get.

A folding knife or multi-tool still ranks way ahead of a flashlight for most, and I'm quite certain that the majority don't even carry those either. Before becoming a flashaholic myself, for 90% of my lifetime, I will admit to being one of those people that ask, "what the heck do you carry a flashlight for?" Course now, I feel lost without at least two, but usually three, on me at all times.

If anyone had gifted me a good flashlight in that earlier 90% of my lifetime, it probably would have gone straight into a draw, or glove compartment, destined for a slow and painful death by leaky alkaline.

I gift a lot of flashlights, much more than I own, but I try and be really selective with it. Good ones only go those friends and family that have shown a particular EDC/prepper bent to them, and even then, it's often hit or miss. Otherwise cheaper, but still useful, keychain lights go out to the general population.

The most rewarding, I've found, is when someone wants to buy one and ask for a recommendation. Then you can tailor the light to their specific needs and they are simply dumbfounded by how good lights are outside of what's available in the big box stores.

Last edited:

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I live in Switzerland and went to NY in December to visit family and friends. I had a bunch of lights waiting for me. 2 from OR, a Promethius Ready Made, SWM V10R Ti+, JB TC-R1 Ti, and a Lens Light mini. Of all these lights, my brother-in-law liked the Lens Light mini. Clearly not in the same league as the ORs or Prometheus and not as nice as the SWM or JB. But he commented on it and I just recently bought it for him. I just checked the tracking and he should get it today. I'm sure he'll be happy and thank me. And yes, I feel good about sharing my enthusiasm. Now, if I can get him to use Li-ions, he may become a flashaholic like me. Misery likes company!

Last edited:

outersquare

Enlightened
I gave a surefire G2X as a bday gift to a good friend couple years ago, as his first high end/tactical light, he loves it and uses it for dog walks. He is moderately interested in tactical gear so he has a little more appreciation for it.

He has mentioned on occasion how his family/friends are sometimes stunned how powerful such a small light is, compared to most of the mass market stuff.

Of course these things are an arms race, as even costco lights now are becoming powerful, so another year or two i might get him one of the newest, brighter SF lights then.

Moonwayman

Newly Enlightened
I gave my pc25 away recently and it was greatly appreciated. The person never saw a bright led flashlight before nor a random strobe. They were impressed and very thankful. Was well worth it and I will give away more lights to others in the future.

I am going to visit my family out of town later this year and I was going to get a hotel room for the few days I'll be there, but my cousin offered to let me stay at his house, at no charge of course.

So, in appreciation for that, I just got the idea to give him one of my nicer lights that I dont hardly ever use and is in new condition with all the original accessories. I try and take very good care of almost all my lights, and that pays off at times like this. The one I'm thinking of giving him is my Jetbeam PC-10, which I just bought last summer. I like my BC-10, so I assumed I'd really like the PC-10 which costs almost twice as much but comes with a case. and has more options and modes as well as supposedly being brighter.

But I really havent used it or the PA-10 I bought at the same time much. So it just sits in a cabinet only being used once a month for a few minutes. I havent even changed batteries in it yet. Its a nice light with a very nice heavy duty waterproof case and a nice holster. It doesnt have any scratches either. I also took a spade drill bit and drilled holes in the foam that sits in the case, so I could store 8 extra CR123 batteries snugly in the case, which worked out great, so I'll include several extra CR123's.

He owns a few small real estate properties that he rents to businesses, so I'm sure it'll come in handy for him as a small-ish EDC light that runs on a CR123. When I think about giving away a light to someone that doesnt have a decent LED light and isnt aware of their potential, it kinda feels really good! Of course I'll be down 1 light, but thats 1 light I dont use much, so it wont be missed too badly. PLus I know that anyone who I give a light to will remember I hooked them up with it every time they use it and it makes their life easier, so that makes me feel good.

Do you get the same feeling when you give away a light?

fyrcapn

Newly Enlightened
well............yes and no...Iwant them to be as excited as me but they rarely are. I gave this xmas some fenix lites2 -ld41, 3-Ldo1
and a new model e35. all great lites . my wife and kids--well 1 is 19 -1 is 17. they were pleased with the 70 lumen keychain sized Ldo1. the wife only a little.
I did get a good reaction from a pilot friend of ours. he uses a lite most every day to inspect the plane. I had a PD32 ultimate so I sent it to him. he said he put his surefire on the shelf. That one made me feel pretty good. he sounded real pleased. I know I'm very happy with mine.
Its better to give than to receive. I guess i agree.

lets hope for a better year.

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
I get a good feeling giving a light to someone who will use and take care of it. Only a few people will take care of a flashlight. Usually the light sits in a draw until the battery leaks and the light is ruined. I do not like giving any gift that will be wasted.

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
I get a good feeling giving a light to someone who will use and take care of it. Only a few people will take care of a flashlight. Usually the light sits in a draw until the battery leaks and the light is ruined. I do not like giving any gift that will be wasted.

I agree 100%, and I dont know if this is a good thing or a bad thing, but the truth is, most people, especially close friends and family will leave you to believe they really like the gifts you gave them(ie. a flashlight), even if they dont really think too much of it. I guess most people think its rude to tell tell us directly that they didnt appreciate the gift we gave them, so instead they will give you the old, "yeah, I really love that light you gave me and I use it all the time, thank you so much for it"! When in reality its sitting in a drawer with a leaky alkaline in it as we speak!

But at least we 'feel' like we gave them something helpful, and that makes us feel good, so what are you gonna do? On the other hand, there are narcissistic sociopaths like my brother who have absolutely no trouble disappointing you by arrogantly criticizing you for giving them a certain gift(which is just one of the myriad of reasons I dont speak to my brother anymore), like 5 years ago when I bought him a nice, $140 5 piece knife set for his kitchen to replace the mostly dull kitchen knives they already had, and he coldly asks, "why did you buy something like that which I dont want? You should return it and buy me something I might actually like"! Then just 2 years later, he goes out and buys a high end kitchen knife set!

Fortunately, 90%+ of society arent like that......

tam17

Enlightened

This.

Cheers

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I get a great feeling! Cause, of course, I will have to replace it with something new, state of the art, brighter and better! Better to leak a slow death in their drawer than mine...and maybe they might return the "favor" with a meal at Mcdonalds. All good...

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love to give away flashlights I no longer use, even if they are beat up a little. Best reaction I got was from a friend whom I gave my TK20 to. A few weeks later I saw him and he couldn't stop talking about how useful it was at work, with the pocket clip and all. I recently gifted my last EO1 to my sister, complete with a fresh L92 Energizer.

Gifting light to the world is a noble and honoured thing.

PANGES

Newly Enlightened
I got my gf an ITP A3 upgraded, and she said "I don't want it." .... so now my brother is now a proud new owner of an ITP A3 upgraded. lol.

JohnnyBravo

Enlightened
Yep. Over time, I've found that I don't care too much for crenellated bezels and non-tail standing lights. So lately, I've been giving them away to co-workers. It's neat to hear from one or more getting back to me w/ something like, "Hey Johnny, I got a chance to use that light you gave me..." :)