Alternative pouches/holsters - no velcro allowed!

FoxyRick

Newly Enlightened
Since I first encountered hook and loop closures, I have detested them. Possibly because the first time I encountered it, it was described as a "silent velcro fastener". Or perhaps the number of times I have had the stuff get full of mud, or just wear out, or a cuff adjuster on a jacket get stuck to a pocket while I'm trying to get something out of it :mad: :hairpull: :rant:

/rant.

So, I'm looking for alternative flashlight pouches that can be worn on a belt or attached to PALS webbing, etc., but using some form of closure other than the dreaded velcro. Standard webbing buckles are fine, press studs not too bad, magnets not good (I use a compass)...

The only things I've come up with so far are:

Maxpedition cocoon pouch

Supposedly 8" long, but doesn't hold as much as it sounds due to the restrictive zip opening. I can't fit my LD41 or SX25A6 in there. The zip opening isn't great if wearing it on a belt either. It's great for throwing into a pack, or strapping on a rucksack and I use a few for of these for other things.

maxpcocoon.jpg

Pantac Silencer Pouch

I've been using one of these for a while, affixed to my rucksack hipbelt. It's a little too long if anything, at nearly 10", but otherwise very good and there is room in the bottom for spare cells. Holds my LD41 and Malkoff MD4 very nicely, and the SX25A6 with the head above the top of the pouch and the strap still closes. So far the best I've come across for larger lights.

pantacsp.jpg

Xeno Flashlight Pouches

Very nice quality indeed but obviously only sized for their own flashlights. I bought one from an ebay seller (before I realised who Xeno were) who gave the size of the smallest one miles off what it is, so I thought it would actually hold my SX25A6. Not a chance! Nice pouch though. This is the sort of thing (or the Pantac) that I would really like in other sizes.

xenopouch.jpg

I'm not looking for big pouches that will hold my lunch in addition to a flashlight, just ones the right size for flashlights. Preferably larger ones like the SX25A6. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is a Nite-Ize flashlight holster Stretch which is open at both top and bottom and has a plastic belt clip which rotates 360 degrees. I owned, but didn't like that holster, but it might fit your needs.

There are several video reviews on Youtube.com, including:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3iGcFfZQmM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ey3aVCu8Tw0

I tried using the Maxpedition Cocoon as a flashlight pouch for a while, tool.

cocoon1.jpg

cocoon2.jpg

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like the Eagletac rigid holster you get with most of there lights,one of the best I find because many suppliers just give you a cheap nylon thingy with velcro closure lol. Maybe you could get one on the market place.

Try this,go to Home Bargains,always good for some sort of small gadget bag.I bought a load of these made by a firm called American Traveler and I used them to gift some lights out a couple of xmas seasons ago.

Cost was just a £1 each and no velcro in sight.

120Lumenstorch.jpg