Radio Shack shipping free...retail to your house.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was in a retail Radio Shack to get some KPRXs and they only had one KPR113 left. The guy said he could order some for me so I said sure. He wanted to know where to ship them. I said I didn't want to pay shipping, I'd just pick them up. He informed me that shipping would be free. He went on to explain that it is a fairly new thing they do. They do this because the stores are getting smaller (less stock) so they find they can just as easily ship to the customer. I found it hard to believe but he took the order, plugged it into his system, waited a moment and said, "Shipping is confirmed and it's going to your office."

Did you guys know about this? Hmmm. $10.00 worth of bulbs sent to me with no shipping charges.

I didn't ask if that meant any product from thier catalogue.

baraqyal

Newly Enlightened
Re: Radio Shack shipping free...retail to your hou

IMHO, this seems kind of crazy to me.

So, instead of just stocking items in stores, their plan is to ship things out to customers?

This idea has all the disadvantages of a brick and mortar store (sales tax, higher prices due to overhead) combined with all the disadvantages of an online store (cost of shipping, waiting to get the items).

But, at least they're giving us an option to get the product. The Radio Shacks by me never seem to have what I'm looking for.

-- Rob

gadgetnut

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
baraqyal said:
IMHO, this seems kind of crazy to me.

So, instead of just stocking items in stores, their plan is to ship things out to customers?

This idea has all the disadvantages of a brick and mortar store (sales tax, higher prices due to overhead) combined with all the disadvantages of an online store (cost of shipping, waiting to get the items).

But, at least they're giving us an option to get the product. The Radio Shacks by me never seem to have what I'm looking for.

-- Rob

[/ QUOTE ]I don't think the idea is to eliminate the inventory in the stores. It's more of a service they offer the customers as a convenience. I take advantage of it all the time with JC Penny. I buy their Stafford dress shirts for work, and every time I go to my local JC Penny store, they are out of my size. I can just go to the register, tell them what I want, they key it in, and it arrives at my house in about three days. No shipping charge, and I don't have to drive back to the mall. I love it.

baraqyal

Newly Enlightened

I agree, the fact that they don't charge for shipping is good. I just usually want instant gratification when I buy electronics, so I guess I'm not all that patient.

Anyone know if they're doing free shipping from the catalog?

-- Rob

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

gadgetnut -

I buy Stafford and Crazy Horse from JC Penny. If I would have known I could do that, I can't imagine how much time I could have saved. Thanks, bigtime for that one.

gadgetnut

Enlightened

No problem. Glad I could help. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif It really does come in handy. They always seem to be out of my size, or the color I wanted. The best part is, they can do it right from any register in the store.