Zebralight SC52 review is up!

maxrep12

Newly Enlightened
Despite Zebralights lumen claims being vindicated, and Shelm you seem to be referenced in the review, I imagine that those who have advanced the notion of ZL exaggerating will maintain their adversarial position with apologetic fervor.

I'm sorry guys, but I told you so!

maxrep12

Newly Enlightened
Mods, since it looks like Selfbuilt has announced his review in another thread, feel free to delete this one.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Despite Zebralights lumen claims being vindicated, and Shelm you seem to be referenced in the review, I imagine that those who have advanced the notion of ZL exaggerating will maintain their adversarial position with apologetic fervor.

I'm sorry guys, but I told you so!

I am certainly one that has been arguing about ZL's exaggeration of specs. You see vindication, I see verification :shrug:.

I think Selfbuilt will find that it meets its lumen claims, except for all the L modes. The real question is how many lumens you should increase the competing AA/14500/sub-lumen lights to compare them, apples to apples, on a Zebralight-Selfbuilt scale. Sadly, some of the best competing lights will likely not be in his comparison charts.
Selfbuilt's results are pretty much in line with what I was expecting and, after adjusted for our very different lumen scales, his results agree to what I personally came up with, with the exception of the L1 mode, which I found lower - or about half of spec. Even our runtime tests Mine HERE
, to ~50%, are remarkably close (H1 45 vs 48mins, H2B 2:28 vs 2:30mins).

The point I keep trying to make, and Shelm as well (at least to some extent), is that the other manufacturers of AA/14500/sublumen lights - Foursevens, Eagletac and Thrunite, seem to utilize a significantly different lumen scale than ZL or Selfbuilt, and two of the SC52's three closest competitors (Quark AAX, D25A-X, Neutron 1A) are not even represented in the review. All three are spec'd in 1xAA form by their manufacturers at about half what the SC52 is, BTW. I am also the one that asked Selfbuilt to include the 2xAA and 1xCR123 charts along with his review HERE.

So, if you take a look at the 1xCR123 table, the D25C S2 and XML, Quark QTLC, and Neutron 1C all equal or exceed the SC52 max lumens.... and yet all of them are spec'd below 280 lumens. Pretty much the same story on Selfbuilt's 2xAA output/runtime graph... all those lines appearing well above the SC52 from 47s, ET and TN are spec'd at 280 or below. That's the exaggeration I'm talking about (not to mention the SC52's 3x longer moonlight runtime vs 47s and ET is actually due to it being 1/3 its specified 0.34 lumens). The SC52 specs even match or exceed the D25C-XML (brightest CR123 Selfbuilt has tested) line-by-line, output and runtime, with a 2000 Mah Eneloop vs CR123 Lithium Primary... I'll put money on that showdown.

Don't get me wrong, I own the Quark AAX, D25A-X, and SC52 and have tested them side-by-side with a light meter and stop watch too. I have said this before and I'll say it again, the SC52 is the best light (equally efficient, a little brighter, and with better UI, mode selection, and build quality) at least until the next round of one-ups-manship. But if you consider the ThruSevensTac lumen/runtime scale as your baseline, as do I, the SC52 turns out to be a disappoint with over-zealous specifications. Of course, Selfbuilt's point of view is fine too.... use a liberal ZL lumen scale and then be WOW'd :eek: by how much 47s, ET and TN blow through their specs.

Finally, at least for me, having a fraction of the warranty of the competition, also brings down what is otherwise the ?BEST? light to, well, kinda average. YMMV of course.

maxrep12

Newly Enlightened
Reppans,

it appears like you have identified some lights whose manufacturers may have understated the lumen output. Currently there is a thread running about a Nitecore light whose lumen output is over rated. Selfbuilts measurements indicate that either the sample light, or the model line in question may be over stated.

These types of mistakes are made, both over and under ratings, and the responsibility for these errors rest squarely upon the manufacturer. The onus of correcting their ratings does not fall to Zebra or Selfbuilt. One individual member here threatened to purchase and then return a light if it did not match his newly adopted personal rating system of "Fenix lumens".

We use ANSI measurements here. There are no Zebra lumens, Fenix Lumens, or collaborations between Selfbuilt and Zebralight. This past month seems to have brought out some unfortunate comments from some decidedly adversarial posters, calling both Selfbuilts and Zebralights integrity into question.

In an effort to group the commentary with regards to the sc52 review in one area, I am asking as the OP that we continue further conversations over on Selfbuilts review thread. Thanks.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
The one thing that surprised me...and perhaps disappointed me, was the performance on a 14500. My plan, when I buy this light (on my hit list), was to run it off 14500 only. Really thought it would outperform on it, run time wise, on the lower levels. Still a great light, just thought it would do better...

Latest posts