Outdoorsman's Kit

skeeterbait

Newly Enlightened
1.jpg

Thanks to research I have conducted on CPF, I have assembled an outdoorsman's kit to support my various needs.
While charging my batteries last night, I thought I would take a picture of the items in my kit. It consists of

Princeton Tec Remix Pro green flood/100 lm white throw headlamp
Petzl Ultra Wide 180 degree 300 lm headlamp
Nitecore TM15 2450 lm with Thrunite flip open diffuser
Nitecore EC25 860 lm currently wearing the Surefire flip open diffuser
Surefire P2X Fury tactical with Nitecore green filter and diffuser
Spare batteries for each including spare high capacity cell phone battery
Spare batteries all fit in the small pouch, and the small pouch and all lights fit in the large shoulder pouch
Also both AC and DC charging capability for all batteries in a separate pouch

I keep this kit in my truck at all times so it is ready at a moment's notice. I combine the green Remix and either the Fury or EC25 with the green filter for use going to and from hunting stand, trail walking, camping, or anytime night adapted vision is preferred. I combine the Petzl and the EC25 with flip diffuser to help locate mine or another hunter's downed game. And although we haven't had a call recently, as a member of a local on call SAR team, I believe the Petzl and the TM15 is going to work great to find lost individuals.

The thing I haven't obtained yet is a serious throw torch. We get called out to search on the water sometimes, or when we encounter large fields, more range than the TM15 could be useful. I have considered several but am holding out a while hoping that Nitecore will introduce a serious thrower in the Tiny Monster line. I like the 4 cell parallel design and maintaining the same UI would be a plus.

So any critique or recommendations for improvement in my selection would be welcomed.

RatDrall

Newly Enlightened
And although we haven't had a call recently, as a member of a local on call SAR team

Are you guys mocking him for zombie stuff and MREs, when he clearly stated that he is a member of a Search And Rescue team?

So any critique or recommendations for improvement in my selection would be welcomed.

I hike quite a bit, and every ounce matters, especially if you are out there to help somebody. You have a lot of weight in lights and batteries. I would cut your light load down to 3, and make sure they all run on the same batteries so you only need a half dozen or so spares.

1. Head lamp
2. Thrower for long range searching
3. Long runtime flashlight as a backup to the other two

Even with just 3 lights, if you get the right ones you'll probably be better equipped than most other people on your SAR team.

I would have a Surefire E2L or E1L in my pocket (probably the E1L) for the insanely long runtime on low setting (100 hours for the E2L and 60 hours for the E1L) as a backup to the primary lights.

skeeterbait

Newly Enlightened
Thanks RatDrall,

I had been working towards standardizing on CR123 platforms till I started reading CPF. I am moving toward standardizing on 18650 platforms now for the in the field recharging capability. The Surefire Fury was my original search light and frankly it was more light than most of the large lanterns other guys were carrying, but with it's single output I found it was too hard to keep fed in the field. I plan on the EC25 being my low lumen long runtime light with the TM15 being the primary search light. I can get 25 hours at 60 lumens from the EC25 and having the same UI on the two lights is a plus. That gets me through a night and then some with a spare battery. I just haven't completely cut the cord on the CR123 lights yet. Guess I need to do so and remove the Fury, Princeton Tec and CR123 batteries out of the kit. The Petzl uses proprietary batteries but it is the best navigation light as it can be run on multiple output levels, has wide flood beam, and it does have in the field charging like the 18650 lights. I still would like to obtain an extreme throw light but it's use would be limited as our area is mostly heavily wooded. I see your point on the backup in the pocket I would just like for it to be an 18650 compatible if I am going to standardize on that battery platform. Can anyone suggest a pocket light with extreme runtime on an 18650?

PS, no worries about the other posts. I realize that people who live in a city environment have a hard time relating to the needs of people who have lived all there lives in a rural/outdoor environment.

Last edited:

RatDrall

Newly Enlightened
I can get 25 hours at 60 lumens from the EC25

Nice!

I realize that people who live in a city environment have a hard time relating to the needs of people who have lived all there lives in a rural/outdoor environment.

It all changes when you are miles from help, especially when you're out there to help someone else, it being difficult enough to keep yourself warm, hydrated, and otherwise healthy and alive.

You should post some of your other SAR gear to really confuse them...

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can anyone suggest a pocket light with extreme runtime on an 18650?
Um how about Sunwayman T20CS 82hr on 18lm
It outruns your EC25 in almost every way (Except beam profile and output, EC25 is floodier,Bezel of T20CS can be removed for mule-mode; one 18650 could not sustain 860lm of EC25 for long time i guess)

technopriest

Newly Enlightened
but with it's single output I found it was too hard to keep fed in the field
You must have the Fury Tactical, should have bought the Dual output model. In this post
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?344316-First-post-Surefire-Fury-question
there is guide to mod the Fury from Dual output to single. I checked my Fury P2ZX (single) and the exact cut in the board is factory made by Surefire. So if all Fury models share the exact same Head and electronics, if you solder the contact you can get the Dual Output. I have no use for dual output in my Fury so haven't tried it but for SAR you would save time and space using less flashlights and 500lm is definitely not convenient for reading maps in the dark

lightdelight

Newly Enlightened
Nice collection! It is really nice to have some extras because you know the other guy you're with will have to borrow your stuff. :candle:

I would suggest (based on my setup) a Zebralight sc600w, and a ZL H600fw. They are very small and will cover all of your lighting needs except for the thrower (just save up for the deft-x). You should easily be able to go a whole night without changing cells. Now that you have made the switch to 18650, you should think about reducing the stuff you don't need to take with you.

skeeterbait

Newly Enlightened
It is really nice to have some extras because you know the other guy you're with will have to borrow your stuff.

Isn't that the truth! (lol)

You should post some of your other SAR gear to really confuse them...

The REAL heros are our local Fire Department Search and Rescue team. Our small community has the best trained and best equipped SAR team in the region. The rest of us are on call volunteers, mostly local outdoorsmen and ex military who can read a topo and navigate terrain, who are called when the fire department needs manpower to cover area. We volunteer our personal 4 wheel drives, quads, boats and other equipment. When called, we assemble at a field location, break into teams, are assigned a quadrant and proceed to the quadrant. Sometimes the area is accessable by vehicle and sometimes it isn't. If needed, we have first aid training to stablize and then wait for the EMT's and Fire Department for extraction.

skeeterbait

Newly Enlightened
No problem ArmoredFiend, I do use the kit for multiple purposes outdoors including hunting and camping in addition to search party work. And I usually have a pocket knife on me but I hate MRE's (lol).