Hurricane Oswald (Cyclone)

Samy

Enlightened
Are there any Aussies out there still suffering from the remnants of ex-Cyclone (Hurricane) oswald?

I've had a busy couple of days:

Sunday lost power so i had to go to work to sort some stuff out. About 7 miles out from home at 9pm i became trapped with a few other neighbours by rising floodwaters and spent the next 12 hours huddling from the wind/rain under a closed petrol station's awning. One neighbour lost his little car in the waters where i had been parked high and dry an hour earlier. We went and checked the water levels every hour but it was pretty grim for a long time. Finally at about 8:30am monday we were able to get my jeep through as the water dropped. We were the first through to town and the road in was cut up and washed out pretty bad.

Normally a cow paddock:

photo.jpg

poor little car after the water came down. It wasn't the neighbour's fault, the water was only a few inches deep but sucked up water and hydrolocked then the water covered it shortly after:

photo1.jpg

Monday 9am, we were finally into our tiny town but it was cut in two by another creek and some of my neighbours still couldn't get home. We back tracked up the hill to my place where my wife & kids greeted us and we had a LONG hot shower and a hot meal, had power at our place. We went back and towed the little car to higher ground. We kept driving down to the creek (about 2miles) to check it but it was going down slowly. Take a look at the debris in the tree on the left in the pic to see how high it was while we were trapped out of town:

Hinchcliff001.jpg

We went out to the main road where we had been stranded (some water levels had dropped) and looked around to see if the major roads were cut. They were:

WilliamsBridge01.jpg

WilliamsBridge02.jpg

This Gas bottle washed down from somewhere. The local rural volunteer fire station pulled it from the water's edge to make it safe:

Gas01.jpg

We finally got them home over that bridge at 5pm Monday, some of them had been trapped after a 10hr shift at work, that's 30hrs away from home with no sleep! I went home and watched the disaster unfold on telly and went to bed early.

Tuesday morning off to work to sort out problems, still no power since sunday and can't open for trade. All roads north leading to the city are blocked so we can only go south to home. 3 towns between my house and work all had no power since sunday. They were running out of supplies. Stayed all day waiting for power, finally it came back on, did some work then left for home. Here i am, it's now almost midnight leading into thursday, just about ready for bed. There will be a lot of work tomorrow to catch up on. Hopefully the waters will recede up there so i get get up to the other office for work. I've got to air out the jeep, the soft top couldn't keep out all that rain! I had to pull the drain plugs in the floor sunday night while we were trapped!

We've had nothing on those poor people up at Bundaberg, with tornadoes and now major flooding. The Blackhawk chopper were using night vision last night and apparently rescued over 1000 people from rooftops etc. They even evacuated the whole hospital by chopper it seems.

Before i left and became stranded on sunday night, i grabbed my little 24hr bag. I've got a few little things in there like a phone charger, video camera, swiss army knife, a few other things and half a dozen flashlights. I had my Klarus XT20, Sunwayman V10R, 2x 4Sevens 2xaa tacticals, Zebralight SC600 & SC51 & H51, and a spare set of batteries for each. I also took a bag with hot thermos, tea, fruit, snacks etc so i was ok for the 12 or so hours while trapped. At home we always keep plenty of food, water and flashlights and spare batteries so everything was fine for my family.

I hope if there's any forum members who are trapped up around the Bundaberg disaster area you are ok!

Hope you enjoyed the pics ;)

cheers

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Been through floods like that in the past, when I lived in Townsville. It's never fun.

Glad those that matter to you are safe.

Cheers from bushfire-filled Victoria :)

gollum

Enlightened
thanks for showing the pics Samy

I am at Carina (only 6kms from CBD)
the wind was ferocious lost some trees
rain didn't seem that heavy here but it was never ending

apparently Upper Springbrook had 744mm overnight (sun)
thats a lot of water

in your first pic ... I know that spot
I am familiar with rathdowney and Mt Barney
...kooralbyn turnoff

I will do a ride that way this week but I will have to watch out for pot holes and debris etc

my thoughts are with all the flood victims especially Bundy
J

AmperSand

Enlightened
Hey guys,
Just stumbled on this thread. Nice pics.
I'm in Gympie and we copped it pretty badly too. Got some good pics of the main stretch in town just before the Mary River peaked. I will try and post some up later when/if I finally get on my computer.

Hope everyone stayed safe!

Samy

Enlightened
Gollum, when you go for a ride take a look at the intersection, where the jeep is parked the water went up to the headlights across the hwy!

AmperSand, glad to hear you're ok, i know you guys copped it bad up there. You're only just getting over the 2011 big flood!

Well it's been a week and everything's back to normal. The little green car in the above pic seems to have sucked in a gutful of water. We went back the next day when the water levels dropped and we towed it to higher ground. In living memory this creek has never reached this high. This is considered a high and dry road in flood conditions but as you can see there is debris on fence on both sides of the road as high as the car:

025_zps034bb780.jpg

But understandable, we had 360mm in 3 days but my mate 2klm from my house had 630mm in 3 days and our properties feed into the creek system which feeds into the Logan River. In those paddocks surrounding the creek horses were drowning and some brave souls ventured out and released them so they could get to higher ground. We were ok, even though i was flooded out i had the jeep and some gear i had packed in case. My family was stuck home flooded in but we're on high ground on a ridge and we have weeks of food and water stored and plenty of gear in case there's a power loss. We were organised but many weren't and the local fuel supplies and grocery shops and such ran out. People panicked and bulk bought things they didn't need. We are prepared and it was just another day, except for a bit of water over the road ;)

It's nothing to what the storm did to those poor souls up at Bundaberg. I heard that in one night the chopper pilots with nightvision gear rescued over 1000 people from rooftops. The river just smashed that town:

bundy2_zps3eb4a368.jpg

What about the houses being found in the middle of main roads? Crazy!

bundy1_zps59e2ea38.jpg

One thing though, my dad lost power for 4 nights and told me that the little 2xAA 4Sevens tactical flashlight i bought him last year was a life saver. Also my brother in-law who also lost power for days apparently said he could do with some of my flashlights ;) Guess i know what to get him for his birthday ;) I'm going to get my dad a decent long life tailstander for blackouts - that is unless he gets a generator first ;)

But there's so many people i've talked to in the past week who never thought about flashlights or generators or stocking a little bit of food or water. A few tried to lecture me that i need to stock up for the next big one... i just nodded and agreed, didn't want to burst their bubble that i was already comfortably prepared for this big one ;)

cheers

Last edited:

gollum

Enlightened
I will be very careful,expect to see some big potholes (?)
it is crazy stuff
there were a few houses washed away
news report said one house in Bundy was washed away INCLUDING the slab it was on !!!
more rain for the next week forecast
think I will make a proper large emergency box...
waterproof etc
will have to search for a good link to that sort of thing

cheers and take care

Samy

Enlightened
We lost a lot of stock from coldrooms/freezers at my business so i have been looking for a decent 6-7kva generator to keep them going next time but at the moment decent generators are scarce! LOL

cheers