Olight S series button removal

slangwy

Newly Enlightened
I have been searching for anything with information about how to remove the button from an Olight S series. I have a couple of S10 Baton's and want to paint them. I have everything out of the light body except the button. I have tried to unscrew the metal ring around the button, but it does not seem to budge. The light includes a small fat O-ring that I had assumed was for the button. Does the button press fit? Has anyone removed them? Any help is appreciated.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been searching for anything with information about how to remove the button from an Olight S series. I have a couple of S10 Baton's and want to paint them. I have everything out of the light body except the button. I have tried to unscrew the metal ring around the button, but it does not seem to budge. The light includes a small fat O-ring that I had assumed was for the button. Does the button press fit? Has anyone removed them? Any help is appreciated.

1. Unscrew and remove the metal bezel at the front of the light. Easiest way is probably just to use one of those rubber things they sell at grocery stores to open jars.
2. Put a battery into the battery compartment and push on the back of the battery. This will push all the light innards out of the front of the light (rubber gasket around lens, lens, and the pill which includes the screwed on reflector).
3. With the pill removed, the rubber switch boot will then be exposed. you should be able to push from the top and it will fall into the battery compartment I assume (haven't tried it myself).

slangwy

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the reply. I will see if pushing it through will work. The back of the button has a protrusion that contacts the small switch on the electronics. The hole is quite a bit smaller than the button. If it comes out by pushing it through, I doubt I can ever get it back in there!

slangwy

Newly Enlightened
I attempted to remove the button from the inside and it will not come through. It appears the button is secured somehow by the silver ring surrounding it. I just wish I knew if it screwed on or was a press in fit. I do not wish to pry on it if it is supposed to unscrew. Anyone got any experience?

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good luck. I've removed the pill multiple times on my S10 with no problems. I haven't tried to remove the button boot, but my recollection was that it should easily come out with the pill removed.

Make sure to align the pill properly when putting it back in so that the button inside the pill lines up with the switch boot. There's a slot so it's pretty easy to do.

slangwy

Newly Enlightened
Thanks. I had noticed the notch in there when pulling out the pill (I had no idea that was how it was referred to). I have to unscrew mine a bit. It seems the tab on mine is flexed out just enough that it contacts the threads on the way out. Rather than bend it, I just use the slot on the pill to turn it around a few times until it is liberated. Not an issue when it goes back in. I have put it back together and taken it apart a few time. Hopefully, I will eventually figure out how to liberate that button!

MattSPL

Enlightened
I had the pill out to change the emitter, and it looks like the switch is glued in.

MattSPL

Enlightened
Oh man. I guess I may have to sacrifice one to find out.

Let us know how you get on. I'm guessing that the rubber switch is fixed into the metal ring, then that is glued in place. Its fully waterproof, and i can't think of any other way that could be achieved by looking at it.

slangwy

Newly Enlightened
Let us know how you get on. I'm guessing that the rubber switch is fixed into the metal ring, then that is glued in place. Its fully waterproof, and i can't think of any other way that could be achieved by looking at it.
Will do! I have no idea what the smaller O-ring is for if that switch is glued in. I may have parts for sale shortly! :naughty:

MattSPL

Enlightened
Will do! I have no idea what the smaller O-ring is for if that switch is glued in. I may have parts for sale shortly! :naughty:

Is it the small chunky one? It goes in the tail if you remove the magnet.

slangwy

Newly Enlightened
I decided before I destroy the flashlight to try emailing Olight to see if they could tell me how the button is installed and if I destroy it while removing it, if I can purchase another one. Hopefully, I will hear back.

MattSPL

Enlightened
I decided before I destroy the flashlight to try emailing Olight to see if they could tell me how the button is installed and if I destroy it while removing it, if I can purchase another one. Hopefully, I will hear back.

Ok, good idea :)