fenix tk40 led dropoff

bearverine

Newly Enlightened
Hi all.
My primary reason for looking you all up, at last.
My fenix tk40 was purchased in '09 or '10, and has less than an hour of runtime.
i noticed a dropoff when it was new, presumably because of the tremendous power consumption required to produce that kind of candlepower/lumens.
Now, though, you can put brand spanking new energizers in it, and it still looks like a single triple a door lock illuminator. Poor sad little thing.
So, am I better off attempting to send it back in,to fenix, or replacing the led myself? This light has seldom left the house, and is mostly a bedside light. I must confess that I'm a little disappointed in it.
Thanks,
Andy

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
First give it a good cleaning per cleaning and lube thread to make sure the connections are all good.

crazyk4952

Newly Enlightened
I have a tk40 that I purchased in '09, too and it certainly gets more than an hour runtime. I would highly recommend using eneloop batteries in it (find them on amazon). High end flashlights draw too much power and standard primary aa batts can't handle the current draw.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Energizer alkaleaks (Because alkalines leak) definitely will not make your TK40 happy. At high drain they won't give much power for long. And at high drain, I find that alkaleaks are more likely to leak quickly. +1 for Eneloops, or at least some other 'Low Self Discharge' NiMH cell.

Latest posts