Nitecore EC25 Battery compatability

greeny1

Newly Enlightened
My wife very kindly bought me a Nitecore EC25 for my birthday (with some considerable hint dropping :thumbsup: ) To go along with it she bought an Eagletech 18650 (3400 mah).

However it doesn't work.

I charged the Eagletech and it's showing 4.1 V.

I think the issue is likely the reverse polarity protection on the EC25. Looking at the top of the battery the button barely shows above the top of the wrap. Only a fraction of a millimeter shows.

Unfortunately I have no other 18650's so I can't be 100% certain the light actually works. In addition the eagletech is advertised as:
"Button top design The protruded button top design makes it work with any flashlight that incorporates hardware anti-reversed battery polarity protection."

Has anyone tried this battery with an EC25 - or any other Nitecore polarity protected torch?

greeny1

Newly Enlightened
I've gotten around this by following the suggestion in another thread of putting a bit of solder on the top of the battery. Bit of a faff though.

Bear this in mind if you get this battery. There really is hardly any of the button protruding abouve the battery

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man, this sucks. I just ordered that batt to run in mine. Oh well, guess my SC600 will be the lucky dog.

bthrel

Newly Enlightened
[h=3]Interesting, I am using the EagleTac Protected 18650 3100 mAh in my NiteCore EC25 and have had no issues...[/h]
Brian

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
thats really interesting. Badbeams please tell us whether yours works when you get it. I wondered if maybe my battery was not assembled correctly, or missing a bit. But if you look at the picture of the cell here:
http://www.flashaholics.co.uk/batteries/eagletac-18650-3400.html you can barely see the button, so I'm not sure what to expect.

Lol...well mine won`t be in till tomorrow...I hope. But I just called Going Gear about this. They tested one out and said it works just fine. I will report here regarding mine...keeping my fingers crossed. I have a very old Eagletac 2400...works fine. I have a new 3100 Eagletac...works fine.

Do they make a flat top version of this batt?

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, got the 3400 and no go. It looks like the button does not protrude far enough. Works in the Zebralight, so it will not go to waste. But very disappointing.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, got it working. Folded up a small amount of aluminum foil, put two small pieces of electrical tape to hold it. And stuck it on the positive side receiver in the head...not the battery. Works fine now...back to charging it...

Brera

Newly Enlightened
I have no issues with my EC25 running on Eagletac 18650 3400mAh.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yea, guess the button tops are a nano higher on some. My Eagletac 3100 works fine for example. But the 3400 they sent me must have a hair shorter nipple. The dealer said the 3400 they tried worked. Offered to exchange it, send me the one they tried, but the fix was easy.

One thing on a side note. No matter which battery I use, a 2400, 3100 or the new 3400, the blue light starts to blink right away on turbo...low power. Of course it`s not. Guess it`s only trustworthy on the lower levels. Is everyone experiencing this?

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
It may sound routine but be certain you really tighten down the tailcap, I don't have the EC25 yet but I have some light's that really need the tailcap to be tightened down hard.

__philippe

Enlightened
Speaking of compatibility:

Anyone tried to fit a KeepPower 18650 3400mAh battery (Ø 18.7mm, L 68.8mm) in the EC25 ?

Thanks for the help.

__philippe

Last edited:

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Left the light on the 60 lumen setting from 11:00 PM to 5:00 AM...6 hours (3400 cell) and the voltage was down to 3.8 at 5:00 this morning (6 hours). Fast draw down. Also noticed turbo was gone, as well as the 540 lumen setting...looked the same as the 285 level. Put the cell in the Zebralight and all levels were there, including turbo. I am convinced it has to do with the foil I put in there to act as a spacer...must have added some resistance, made a poor connection.

If I come across a small button magnet or maybe a washer, I will try that. But for now the 3400 will have to run in the Zebralight.

greeny1

Newly Enlightened
I wonder if eagletec have changed the design slightly. If you look at the cell picture on the link I posted above mine looks very similar, i.e. hardly any button protruding. For those that have no issues with theirs does your battery look any different to that picture.

On the query on Battery life. Then I took mine off the charger (notecore SP2) it was only reading 4.08 volts. However I got a good few minutes on turbo until the switch started flashing. I have maybe used this now for 2 hrs (1.5 hrs on low, 15 mins high, 10 mins med, 7-8 mins turbo). The battery level via the switch is showing as 3.7 volts (not sure how accurate this reading is). I can still get all brightnesses no problem (though flashing switch on turbo)

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if eagletec have changed the design slightly. If you look at the cell picture on the link I posted above mine looks very similar, i.e. hardly any button protruding. For those that have no issues with theirs does your battery look any different to that picture.

On the query on Battery life. Then I took mine off the charger (notecore SP2) it was only reading 4.08 volts. However I got a good few minutes on turbo until the switch started flashing. I have maybe used this now for 2 hrs (1.5 hrs on low, 15 mins high, 10 mins med, 7-8 mins turbo). The battery level via the switch is showing as 3.7 volts (not sure how accurate this reading is). I can still get all brightnesses no problem (though flashing switch on turbo)

Thanks. Yea same here. With both my two other batts the turbo and high still work at lower voltages. I`m sure it has to do with the foil I tried in there.

Looking at the 3400 bat from the side...the nipple does not look like it protrudes much...if at all. If I order another one I will call first and ask them to examine it before shipping. But I have been wondering if I want another high amp batt. My old 2400 mha cell seems to work very well. Thinking it might make more sense to order two 2600 batts for about the same money, and have 5200 mha between the two...better bang for the buck. Just have to change batts...not that much pain. And I`m thinking about getting a muti cell, multi led light this year. So...thinking economy cell wise...

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
So you guys or girls with the EC25 Cobra how do you like it and how is the tint and beam quality? How well do you manage the UI, do you have any problems going into general mode without pushing the switch down to far inadvertently going into turbo?

Things that have my interest are first the instant access to max mode and the momentary mode from an electronic side switch, also the blinking light to indicate low battery and btw I read the PDF manual it says when the battery gets low it will blink once every two seconds so I was wondering if anyone has checked what the battery voltage is when it first starts blinking.

I wanted to start a new thread and maybe I will when I get mine but there seems to be a few owners already in this thread so I hope the OP don't mind.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Really does not seem to be many owning it. Perhaps because there are no reviews posted by our reviewers. I think the lack of a low level is killing sales too. Also, it is not a real thrower...nor is it floody. While it`s nice and clean...it`s just a general purpose beam. So it does not fill a nich, either way, in beam profile.

It does nothing outstanding. More/less just another common 18650 light...with a cool IC and switch.

But it does have that blue blinking light that calls/beckons to you "Pick me up, let`s play".

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Really does not seem to be many owning it. Perhaps because there are no reviews posted by our reviewers. I think the lack of a low level is killing sales too. Also, it is not a real thrower...nor is it floody. While it`s nice and clean...it`s just a general purpose beam. So it does not fill a nich, either way, in beam profile.

It does nothing outstanding. More/less just another common 18650 light...with a cool IC and switch.

But it does have that blue blinking light that calls/beckons to you "Pick me up, let`s play".

That is what my thought are without actually owning it but it claims 1200cd which doesn't sound to bad but I'm most curious how well you owners are are able to control the UI with the half press for general.

I think some reviews would help interest and yes I think the lack of any kind of real low mode is hurting it but I do like the looks and some of the features, believe I will order one today and see for myself unless I hear some bad news about the UI or tint.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love that it has a memory. I like that it has a 50% warning. And then a low batt warning. I love that it reads out the voltage. I love that you can jump to turbo from any level...and back...great. I love that you can hand the light to someone and they can see where the switch is as it stays on. I love that it blinks on standby...point the blue light on my other lights, can see them easily, pick which light I want. I love that it is so easy to lock out...both electronically and with a slight turn of the tail cap.

I find the 60 lumen setting much more useful than the Zebralights 65 lumen setting, probably on account of the beam profile. And because of this I use it on that setting nearly all the time, and have great runtimes.

I love the light. But can see where others need one with a lower low...or might want more flood...or more throw. To me the light has more charactor than the Zebralight...maybe the blinking blue light...seems to be more..."alive?"...even when just sitting there.

Mine is the neutral white model...and I expected it to be dimmer than the highly rated ZL SC600 standard...but to my eyes, that it not the case. A pleasant surprise. I`m sure it must put out less lumen, and a true test would probably bear that out. But all I have are my crappy eyes...