Bust A Cap vs XCape Cap - Opinions and Experiences Sought

EscapeVelocity

Enlightened
Which one should I get?

Is the Magnetic Tip on the Bust-A very useful? Is the Carbide Tip on the XCape better? How about the step down angle on the XCape, is that useful compared to the Bust-A...does that make it a better skull cracker?

Im leaning towards the Bust-A right now.

Last edited:

Pekka

Newly Enlightened
Is the Carbide Tip on the XCape better?

Depends on what you aim to use it for really. If and only if you plan to break tempered glass windows, the carbide tip will make it a walk in the park: google yourself some "ninja rocks" videos to get the idea of required force (hint: it's not a lot).

If you're breaking non-tempered glass or want it for zombie pummeling and/or looks the carbide tip doesn't help you any.

EscapeVelocity

Enlightened
Yeah, the key is to bring force at a point....sparkplugs are classic window smashers...you just have to tap the window. So the XCape with the carbide tip would be superior, however the Bust-A would be very good too. The Bust-A is superior for Zombie pummeling and vampire staking....being that is is more pointy. The magnetic tip seems like a little extra on top with the Bust-A too. As far as aesthetics...the Bust-A is more appealing to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does that make it a better skull cracker?

Skulls don't take hardened metals to crack, but glass does.

Consider carefully the concealed-carry and 'intent' laws in your area. There are some countries where purchasing such a thing "For Self-Defense" legally implies the desire to harm people. In those areas, you might be jailed for excessive force (Since you carry a purpose-made weapon in the law's eyes), when an unadorned flashlight would have been quite justified. We on CPF can't advocate unlawful activity. In America, for example, concealed-carry of a knife is acceptable within some limits, but a knife designed for especially offensive behavior (switchblade style knife) is assumed to carry 'intent' to use it gleefully.

EscapeVelocity

Enlightened
Im not really interested in debating foolish laws that deny people the right to defend themselves and the tools to do so effectively. I do realize that Europe has some pretty insane restrictions and legal frameworks for this. The switchblade stuff is downright dumb as well, on the level of assault weapons bans. What next proportionate response, (see the Israeilis).....as if the Israelis shooting rockets back into Gaza would be a good legal proportionate response to the Palestians/Hamas. Senseless insanity.

There is nothing unlawful about what I advocate. And censoring those with different viewpoints is anathema to open democracy. How can you cange the law if you cant advocate for changing the law in the public square to promote your viewpoint.

But Im not here to put CPF in a sticky spot. So Ill drop talking about Bust-A-Caps and XCape Caps and flashlights in their capacity as self defense tools....including shining hostile perps in the eyes to blind them. More's the pity.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a bit of an overreaction. I'd say that the carbide tip is more useful for breaking out of a car in an emergency, and a magnetic tip probably becomes helpful around dropped machine parts. Despite the name, Bust A Cap has pretty inoffensive language in their ads. I haven't perused the magnetic one. It's kind of a niche product, like asking about the best left-handed baseball glove stitch grease. In my continual efforts to serve the diverse needs of the CPF community, I thought I'd mention an oft-neglected aspect of modifying flashlights, and why most threads about these 'extra' tailcaps don't go far: There are strong reservations among myself and others against making a useful flashlight into something at all more like a weapon.

That said, take your pick: Glass busting or magnetic tip. I'd say glass busting for emergency uses, since I usually have a magnet-on-a-stick in the work area anyhow.