Looking to get a dog!

markr6

Flashaholic
My wife and I are planning on getting a dog sometime soon. We have been researching different breeds and still haven't made up our minds. We both like Golden Retrievers but probably won't get one since she is a bit sad about "replacing" her old golden that just had to be euthanized (13 years old).

I really like Siberian Huskies and think it would be cool to have a running companion, take it biking when I'm lazy, backpacking, etc. especially in the snow which they love. However I'm a bit turned off by people saying they like to get away at any chance to run and do their own thing. And it sounds like they don't want to play fetch but rather watch you fetch LOL. That seems like a turn-off for me. Massive shedding could be an issue, but I'll be cleaning with any dog so dare I say "what's a little more?"

I'm not opposed to a mutt. We looked at a mix of Terrier, Pit Bull, (something else not really sure) last night and really liked him but decided to wait and keep looking.

Any comments from husky owners? Suggestions about other breeds? Where to even find a dog other than a from breeder? (I was told not to get one from a pet store)

Norm

Retired Administrator
Have you ever considered a poodle? very intelligent, loving and loyal, ours is 13 years old and if anything ever happen to her, we will buy another.

Three standard sizes, depending on what size dog you want a standard poodle is a beautiful large dog.

Defiantly no shedding or allergies, grooming probably costs us $50 every few months.

Norm

Last edited:

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
mutts are awesome. especially if you get a good mix.

i would advice against huskies and other full on running hyper active dogs.. they need constant everyday work and runs.. huskies loooooove to run.. and if not stimulated enough they often tear things apart out of frustration. and they generally are not the eager to please the owner and obedient kind. they will run their lungs out for you but to have one is completely different way of living than with regular golden retriever. s

o for more companion type dogs look for a retriever or some hearding shephard breed.. they are eager to please their owners and like to play fetch and beeing a hearding dog they can be very active companion too if you like to go for hike or something like agility courses. retrievers like golden and labradors are more "lay in your feet and hanging out while beeing petted" breed.. they often do seem to love endless game of fetch and swimming. but are still happy just to hang around doing nothing. shephards (german, belgian etc) generally need more and longer activity than retrievers and pitbulls. and because they are smart dogs they do like to have some brainteasers and training regimen too.

each dog is personality. you migh find a laxy bum husky that acts like its a st bernhard.. and you might find hyper active nuisance of a st bern. :) when going to see the puppies you will see the personality already there.. if you dont take someone with whom can spot the one in litter that suits you best.

my sisters almost year old mix mutt is good for lot of things.. its mostly american pitbull 75% + 25% german shephard mix.. it does shed hair but its very coarse and easy to clean, not too big in size but heavy and stocky enough one can play "little rough" with it and not worry it beeing ruffled or injured.. it has that "stares in the void" laid back attitude if needed.. and goofy lets go play and keep tabs where everyone is in the house shephard vibe.. just enough protective edge and eagerness to please to learn the commands and obay them too. and seems to have inherited the run along a bicycle endurance gene from his 50/50 german shep dad.

RNDDUDE

Newly Enlightened
We have two standard poodles, and they do not shed at all, so that is a big plus. I just this morning finished reading Cesar Millan's book "Cesar's Way" and I would recommend you read it BEFORE you choose a dog. I say that because in it he stresses that you get a breed whose energy levels are simpathetic to yours, or your willingness to match. His philosophy is that the primary requirements to having a well-adjusted dog are, in order of importance: Exercise, Discipline, Affection.

markr6

Flashaholic
Thanks for the info. After thinking more I decided to pass on the husky. I picked up this little guy last night - Australian Shepherd about 9 weeks old

(sorry, will have to post later...I don't have access to my FTP to decrease image size which is currently 900px wide)

Ok, here's the smaller pic:

toby_sm.jpg

Last edited:

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
We had a Vizsla. Great dog. Medium size, short hair, easy to train and loyal. Sleek and muscular. Great with kids. But a very high energy level.

When she died, we couldn't get a similar dog. Now we have mini Austalian Shepherd. Short and stout. Lots of hair, but not a double coat. Easy to train and sticks to us like Velcro. Very different than the Vizsla, but also a great dog.

I like purebreds. Buy from a good breeder and you know exactly what your getting - size, temperament and character. But some breeders are hard to deal with. I don't hunt or show and it took me awhile to find a good breeder who would sell me a Vizsla puppy. And some breeders start with a long questionnaire with essay questions. If you pass that, they'll interview you.

My brother loves rescue dogs. He has had some great dogs, too. Loyal and wonderful. But he had 1 that had to be put down because it was too aggressive. Went after his girlfriend. He lost the girl and the dog. Bummer.

Just know what you're getting and buy from a reputable breeder. Check out the American Kennel Club site. Lots of info and links to breed clubs and breeders. Also go to a dog show - fun to see all the different breeds and talk to really knowledgeable people.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get a dog from a shelter, take your time, and research the breeds. Good call on the Husky, as they are notoriously energetic, smart, cunning and obstinate. It takes alot of work and determination to make them truly home friendly; if it can be done, they're terrific!

Mixed breeds are the way to go, consider your housing situation and time to invest though.

Good luck!

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seems you are looking at larger dogs.
We have 2 King Charles Cavalier Spaniels ( about 20 lbs).
They are amazing dogs. Great disposition, smart, eager to please their master(s), loving, great with children ( well everyone).
One of ours is training to be a therapy dog, the other we want to train for agility ( as she will walk on fences, borders, fallen trees).
So easy to train, small enough to not overtake our home, no small dog yappy bar.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd10/LaunchMini/6b9601fa.jpg

the one on the right will walk/run with me for miles. She's a trooper. The one on the left ( therapy dog) has a sore leg, so her walks are limited to about 2kms at a time.

See Rule #3 Do not Hot Link images. Please host on an image site, Imageshack or similar and repost – Thanks Norm

Last edited by a moderator:

markr6

Flashaholic
I added a photo in my post above, and here's one of him playing in the snow today.

The hair on his head looks weird because of the HDR photo from my iPhone 5.

toby_snow.jpg

Monocrom

Flashaholic
There's nothing wrong with getting one from a pet store. Not all pet stores are just a front for puppy mills that abuse and mistreat the future pets. Pet stores are like people. You can't generalize that everyone is a jerk simply because you've encountered a few jerks from a particular race.

markr6

Flashaholic
His name is Toby and he's about 10 weeks old now. The potty training is going really well. He sleeps through the night without going in the crate and doesn't cry or make a fuss (only the first night). I have to leave for work and don't want to leave him for 9 hours so I come home during lunch. Today he didn't pee in the crate at all. The last few days he did a little but now getting to the point where he can hold it for 4 hours. Ate his poop a few days ago...SICK!

He was also biting us a lot at first, really hard, but that is getting much better. My vet said this will continue for a while and we just need to keep training to "un-program" his instinct to do this (sheep herding)

He walked through mud yesterday so I got him into the bath tub for the first time; he didn't like that much but loved chomping at the air from the hair dryer.

Puppies are a lot of work! Good practice for kids I guess :)

Changchung

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will love that you adopt a dog from a local shelter, I am from venezuela and I do my best to pick streets dogs and find a home for this little guys. Last sunday I pick one from the street and today I drive almost 200km to deliver him to his new home. I have six dogs and a cat already. I always try to avoid that the peoples buy dogs and understand that exist a lot of dogs that need a place and a family... :)

Sent from my phone with camera with flash and internet on it... :D

blackbalsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will love that you adopt a dog from a local shelter, I am from venezuela and I do my best to pick streets dogs and find a home for this little guys. Last sunday I pick one from the street and today I drive almost 200km to deliver him to his new home. I have six dogs and a cat already. I always try to avoid that the peoples buy dogs and understand that exist a lot of dogs that need a place and a family... :)
Thanks for your caring of animals. I have 5 cats that are spoiled and loved but love all kinds of pets

Sent from my phone with camera with flash and internet on it... :D