Possible uses for the Nitecore P25 Picatinny rails (and gripes)

Fykantrollet

Newly Enlightened
Hi!

Nitecores decision to put rails on the P25 is interesting. It is a good and stable platform to attach things, and quick 'n easy to install and remove.
Still I think they messed up on this one. There is plenty of picatinny light attachments to choose from, but all of these have a female bases. That is, "all" things picatinny have a female base. It is always the gun or other adapters that have the male part. By female I mean the portion that is adjustable, by male the portion that protrudes.

The P25 is neither a gun or an adapter.
How on earth are you going to mount this to anything? As far as I can see all you can install is additional lights! Do you get my drift?

Nitecore, you forgot to include a female-female adapter with this light! :shakehead

I can see several possible uses for the rails; as a quick release bicycle mount, helmet mount or attached to a swiveling belt clip. But this is for the moment not possible if you don't machine something yourselves.

As of now, the rails are just fancy cooling fins. And not everybody thinks they are that fancy...

I have ordered a P25 with the intent of using the rails, so any suggestions are most welcome.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, that`s just nuts! Maybe a gun shop sells an adapter? Have you tried E-bay?

Last edited:

Rattlebars

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, that's pretty dumb. I looked all over for one for ya and no can find.

I use a 1" scope mount seen in my avatar for my nitecore and I have a picatinny >BELT CLIP< that I install it on which allows me to put it on my belt or rotate it and put it on a hat for hands free uses other than a firearm tactical light.

IMAG0157.jpg

Last edited:

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think most flashlight holders that fit on rails would fit that light. Even the Solarforce rail mount should hold the Smilodon.
If I bought one I'd add a laser on one side and a small red led flashlight on the other LoL :p

Fykantrollet

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Rattlebars for trying to help me out. I have searched a lot myself but to no avail.
My plan for the moment is to machine one of my scope mounts; cut off the scope mount, bore and tap threads and then screw on a standard Ram-mount ball with threaded pin.

Edit: I contacted Nitecore now about this. Let's see what the official response is.

Last edited:

kmorar556

Newly Enlightened
Got a quick question. Do the rails on the light look totally stupid to you? Because I just purchased the light and its not going to be here for a few weeks and I didnt get the light for the rails, Im just hoping it doesn't look to retarded with the rails on the light.

Fykantrollet

Newly Enlightened
For the uninitiated :) they probably just look like cooling fins. I haven't received mine yet, but I think the light looks great overall and nicely engineered.
But as someone else mentioned, it does look like the handle of a lightsabre. I like that.
It probably WILL look retarded if you install stuff on to them.

Hmm maybe Darth would have been a better name for this one...

Beckler

Enlightened
Anyone know if someone makes a rail mount for bicycle handlebars? I can't find it.

Fykantrollet

Newly Enlightened
No luck. But two of these will work if the pivots are removed and the parts welded or screwed together.

Now one other thing I found: put two of these on the Smilodon and you can have a whole flashlight family installed. The possibilities are endless :crackup:Might get a little front heavy...
d114546.jpg

adnj

Enlightened
The marketing photos show a laser attached to the light. Since the body is 1 inch, why even bother with adapter? Use a standard rail mount.

Fykantrollet

Newly Enlightened
Anyone know if someone makes a rail mount for bicycle handlebars? I can't find it.

I use 1" ball Ram-mount. With these I can use lights, camera or phone on the same base and arm. The base is screwed on the handlebar, but the arms and other adapters are easily removable. For cycling in rugged terrain you should use the shorter arms. I use the medium arm and it will move a little in heavy bumps.

Last edited:

x2o

Newly Enlightened
My 2 cents on the P25 Picatinny system:

I believe it was designed with the intention to mount onto a firearm with a standard flashlight mount (as mentioned earlier in this thread, it will fit in quite a few popular mounts). Then once mounted, you have the ability to use the P25's rail to mount a laser or second smaller light or whatever you may want to put on there. Here is a picture illustrating it that I took from battery junction (and cropped for CPF sizing ;) )

eIH6KQ.jpg

Note the standard flashlight mount, and then the laser mounted onto the P25's picatinny.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I do believe this was the design intention. Now, is it really necessary? Maybe not entirely, but it does look nice :)

edit : Seems adnj beat me to the punch!

Last edited:

Fykantrollet

Newly Enlightened
The marketing photos show a laser attached to the light. Since the body is 1 inch, why even bother with adapter? Use a standard rail mount.

No, because you will need to fasten/unfasten standard mounts with unbraco tools (normally). It should be quick release. And yes you can install the light even on a tripod with a laser and scope, but really...

Regarding design intention I quote from Nitecore's website: "The Nitecore P25 is a truly innovative, purpose-designed flashlight featuring two integrated Picatinny connectors, making it incredibly easy to install on a firearm".
Well, exactly as easy as any other light without rails...

Last edited:

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love Lego'ing and attachable stuff, this light may be more for the Tacticool crowd than the tactical but I want one, found a deal on one and it should be here in a month. I'm not a gun guy, but if I was I'd have this, a laser and an infrared led and scope because I love gadgets. This adds options in my opinion, and looks like fun