Brightness Differential

rlichter

Newly Enlightened
The new Sunwayman Sirius has a brightness differential in "low" of 10:1 between an RCR123 and a CR123, 10 lumen versus 1 lumen. I have no prior experience with the RCR123 and have never used a pair of CR123s in my 18650 lights, so I don't know if this degree of difference is normal. I don't think this is an issue with my HDS Clicky, so I know a driver circuit can be designed that is more or less consistent in brightness whether a primary lithium or the rechargeable lithium-ion is used. Presumably Sunwayman know what they're doing, so why design and release an expensive ($200) light with this problem? What are the technical reasons for this brightness differential (which only shows up on "low" and not on "medium" or "high")?

laserle

Newly Enlightened
1. Wavelength: 635nm, 650nm, 658nm

2 Pupil Power: 0.3mW ~ 200mW

3 angle: 10 ° ~ 90 °

4 line widths: 50cm at most fine 0.5mm; 1.5m at the thinnest 0.8mm; 6m at the smallest 2mm; finest 10m 3.5mm

5 optical system: a spherical glass lens group, the quality aspherical glass lens.

6 Bending: ≤ 1mm @ 5m Operating voltage: DC 3V, 4.5V, 5V, 9V, 12V (optional)

7 Laser class: II, Ⅲ a, III b Operating temperature: -10 ℃ to 50 ℃; part up to: -10 ℃ ~ 70 ℃ Storage Temperature: -40 ℃ ~ 80 ℃

Thanks you!

laserle:D

tolkaze

Enlightened
Circuit design is expensive, I assume they want to give higher levels on high with a RCR as a bonus (maybe for advertising) and I assume it is easier to just have all levels act the same.
For example:

I create a light with 100%, 40% 1%. It would be cheaper to convert the voltage and just pass through the current at the beginning, affecting all three levels. Assuming you need to keep a low low, you would have to change the voltage, pass through current (higher on RCR) then either limit it for the low, or add PWM etc. So you would have 2 or more circuits. This would affect start up time, time between levels, and could cause pre-flash of the lower levels. HDS has a fully digital circuit, has a lot of redundncy and checks and has evolved over a long time. Added to this HDS is programmed, and I assume cost a lot of money to do and make bulletproof. SWM isn't HDS, and are pushing out many different drivers, control interfaces and light designs every year, coupled with their business strategy, I would guess that every dollar saved is pure profit. HDS on the other hand, have improved consistantly, and clung onto the same designs, the same interfaces and new releases are thought out, tested, and are far and few between.

Simply put, SWM either didn't have the technology, or didn't want to spend the money on the technology.