what flashlight alkaline 3*aaa batteries will work better?

xchcui

Newly Enlightened
hello

1)one cree flashlight has one mode,no regulation,no pwm,and consume from the batteries 300mA.
2)second cree flashlight has 3 mode,no regulation,but uses PWM to to get 300mA on low mode.when in the high mode the flashlight consume 1400mA.
the two flashlights are using 3*aaa alkaline batteries.(like duracell or energizer).
so if i use the second flashlight(the one that uses pwm) with only the lower mode,does it affects different on the batteries compared with the first flashlight?(discharge time?too much load on the batteries?)or the affect on the batteries will be,exactly,the same on both cases?
because at the second flashlight,even that the average current is 300mA(by using pwm to reach this average current from 1400mA by lower the duty cycle rate)the battery,practically,experience,high pulses of 1400mA.(despite of the fact that those high current are not constant,and come as pulses).
so,doesn't the batteries suffer from this high current pulses compare to the batteries that give real constant 300mA on the first flashlight?or it is,exactly the same?

thank in advanced.

Last edited:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
You want alkaline (Alkaleak) batteries...these ruin your lights when they leak out the electrolyte. I would not recommend using them in anything.

Also, your verbiage is hard to follow. Its hard to tell what you are actually asking.

It sounds like you are asking if the one that uses more power will have less runtime, if that's the question, yes....if it uses more power, the battery is drained faster.

PMW can be used to make it last longer.

The main problem is that alkaline cells don't support amp flow beyond a certain limit, and the low energy density severely limits performance.

If you want a higher performance light, consider nickel metal hydride (nimh) rechargeable cells (Enloops, etc) which support higher draw lights, and, are rechargeable, so you don't need to buy new batteries all the time, and, which will not leak and ruin your lights, etc.

Even better, consider lights that run on rechargeable lithium ion cells. These have even more energy density, and higher voltage, so that for any given form factor, your light can be brighter and run longer.

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not an expert, but I would think you would not notice much of a difference using any alkaline battery type. They make higher end alkalines these days that claim to work better with higher drain devices, but I am not sure how much more runtime you would actually get out of them. They do not do well when the light demands a lot of current, and AAA's are low capacity cells anyway. Alkalines also have a tendency to leak which can destroy the inside of your light and the plastic battery holders those AAA's are in. I would buy some good rechargeables and use those. That is what I have in all of my lights. They work much better and will save you a lot of money in the long run!

xchcui

Newly Enlightened
thanks for the replies.
maybe my question has been written poorly.so i try to change my question.
if i discharge alkaline battery with continuous 300mA,the capacity will be at "x" value,and the current consider reasonable.
but if i discharge the battery with average 300mA(NOT continuous)that achieved by using PWM -low duty cycle of 1400mA pulses
does it affect different on the battery?
does it reduce battery life?
does the chemistry inside the battery react differents?
after all,1400mA is too much current for alkaline battery,even though,we get average 300mA.
i hope i express myself better.

Last edited: