Multiple P60 Host?

g.p.

Enlightened
Since multi-LED lights are all the rage now, does anybody know of a P60 host that holds 2-3 P60 modules?

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, but that's be freakin awesome!

Imagine it like a TK45, but with three triples in it... Or a triple, and XP-E2 thrower and XM-L...

Last edited:

g.p.

Enlightened
I would love to find one. I'd also love to find a P60 host helmet light with a remote battery pack.. That would be sweet for dirt biking.

JulianP

Enlightened
I'm also looking for a host that will take 3+ P60 modules.

So far I had no luck, so the next step will be to get a triangular metal plate and drill three large holes in it. I will then put a single P60 host through each hole (probably 3 solarforce 18650 hosts), with the head on one side and the body on the other side. The P60 modules will be XM-L2's, which are just awsome.

This will give me an upgradeable, portable floodlight with 3000+ lumens for about $100. The only drawback will be having to turn on 3 switches.

Pity no one is making a TK45-type triple P60 host with 3x 18650s. It would be a winner.

CMAG

Enlightened
Since multi-LED lights are all the rage now, does anybody know of a P60 host that holds 2-3 P60 modules?

Just the one in the back of my mind for the past year, was keeping it under wraps. I would think many flashaholic's have the same dream, and others will say duct tape
My thought would be a head or host that would take 3 or 4 E compatible heads from there you got P60 and other options

Last edited:

LilKevin715

Enlightened
An concept such as this would be totally feasible. Imagine the head area with three separate heads that are all unscrewable to place desired P60 dropins inside. Have the battery tube in a 3 or 4 parallel 18650 configuration. A user interface switch (4 position) could enable you to select one dropin to illuminate at a time (positions 1-3) or all of them at once (positiion 4). A setup such as this would be the swiss army knife of P60 host flashlights. Hmm, I wonder if Solarforce takes product suggestions...

Edit: Just sent a email to Solarforce, lets see if they drop by here.

Last edited:

LilKevin715

Enlightened
Solarforce replied to me (I'd rather they post here instead...) and they said they would look into it. So for those of you that are interested here is your chance to brainstorm some ideas for a potential future product:thumbsup:. I've got a few ideas as far as a the switch and user interface.

JulianP

Enlightened
Don't forget that many P60s have multiple modes. You don't want one on low, one on high and the third one merrily strobing away. The sequence and memory modes would have to be very similar with one switch activating all three. Unless...[your solution here]

gravelmonkey

Enlightened
I was thinking something along the lines of a P60 compatible Klarus XT20.. Mode switching WOULD be a pain with just one switch!

gravelmonkey

Enlightened
I was thinking something along the lines of a P60 compatible Klarus XT20.. Mode switching WOULD be a pain with just one switch!
Perhaps it could be designed with slightly pivotable heads so the hotspots can be merged into a smaller beam and have more throw, or spread more apart to have more flood.

I have toyed with the idea but decided independently movable heads would be a major weak point for water/dirt ingress. Instead, how about something like a floody XM-L2 in one head and a XP-G2 (maybe even an XP-E2) for throw? 3 modes for each drop-in would allow huge amounts of flexibility if they are individually switched, I'm not sure how you would go about it if they were switched with the same button, perhaps 2 drop-ins with a different number of modes? (see below).

I guess it depends on whether the idea is to have a host to make use of old/infrequent use/loose P60's that people have (better to be individually switched, allows all sorts of weird combinations) or if it's to have a host with the specific intention to buy drop-ins for it such as L-M-H for flood and H-L for spot allowing for all combinations: low flood with high spot, medium flood with low spot, high flood high spot, low flood with low spot, medium flood with high spot, high flood with low spot.

Of course, you could just order 2 of the same drop-ins and have twice the amount of light!

Can 2*18650 sustain 2 over-driven XM-L2's?

LilKevin715

Enlightened
Please excuse the crude drawing, just something I thought of real quick.

(click to enlarge)

The clicky switch retains the ability to switch modes of the individual dropins, as well as momentary operation. The 3 way switch allows the user to select the desired dropin. The DPST switch would be a separate switch wired in between the 3 way switch and the LED dropins to allow for all three dropins to run at once (aka Turbo mode). Ideally the three dropins should have similar drivers/modes in order for the user interface to work properly with the Turbo mode. They would all have to be L-M-H, H-M-L, etc. Each dropin would have to be set to the same level/mode so that once Turbo mode is activated all three dropins power on at the same mode.

I'm thinking as far as switches the clicky switch would be maintained, a selector ring for the 3 way switch, and a separate dedicated Turbo button. This could all be done with a electronic switch but I prefer mechanical switches. The 3 way switch and the clicky switch would need to handle 10-15A though.

A benefit of having 3-4 18650 batteries wired in parallel would be extended runtimes when one dropin is in use. Basically extending the runtime X-times by how many cells you have.

Last edited:

texas cop

Enlightened
My ideal multi headed P-60 would be silimar to the Klarus XT20 or the Shadow TC-750X. Even better would be side by side 18650's with two switches on the head one for each dropin. Then the sky would be the limit on dropin combo's. Current would have to shared by both batteries regardless of which side was on or both being on.