Two-stage switch AA lights

Slamfire

Newly Enlightened
When I refer to a "two-stage switch", I am meaning a forward-clicky-like switch which has the flashlight produce a low-level beam when pressing slightly forward and a high level beam when pressing even further. In other words I am looking for a UI like the Surefire A2 Aviator.

The only two-stage AA light I could find was the Surefire E2L AA Outdoorsman. Are there any others?

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of those in production? Nope. Maxlite AA had the UI, but it's long gone and no longer being manufactured.

Surefire holds the patent on the UI, and the only other manufacturer that I have seen, thus far, that has utilized it was Lumintop, for their P16X model. McGizmo had custom manufactured two-stage replacement switches, dubbed McE2S, for E series lights, but the production was limited and came to a halt since Surefire "politely" told him to stop.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
surefire E2L-AA does not use the dual-stage momentary switch like the A2.
its a 2-mode clicky. same as the E2L, or E1L.

if there was a single AA dual-stage surefire, it would make my perfect EDC. something like a L1-AA. :naughty:

Mikeg23

Enlightened
The only lights that that I know of to use the interface you described are the A2, L1, L2, an LX2. Along with the switch that enomosiki describes and the original McClux PD.

However you could gut an original L2 or an older L1 and make it work. For example I have an old L2 that I pulled the driver out of and fit 3 cr123s in it. The problem is with out the driver you would need to put a different resister in the tailcap to space the two levels further apart.

archimedes

Flashaholic
....if there was a single AA dual-stage surefire, it would make my perfect EDC. something like a L1-AA. :naughty:

It wouldn't necessarily be easy to get all the pieces, but a McE2S + Aleph 17500 tube (with sleeve) + M31 + VME should work ... :twothumbs

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will Malkoff's VME head fit any of those or just the E series?

The only lights that that I know of to use the interface you described are the A2, L1, L2, an LX2. Along with the switch that enomosiki describes and the original McClux PD.

However you could gut an original L2 or an older L1 and make it work. For example I have an old L2 that I pulled the driver out of and fit 3 cr123s in it. The problem is with out the driver you would need to put a different resister in the tailcap to space the two levels further apart.

Mikeg23

Enlightened
The L1 and L2 both have E-series threads I don't think the A2 does and I've never held an LX2. Anything with e-series threads should work with a VME.

My L2 has an E2C adapter on it which makes a little bit more room for the 3 cr123s... Unfortunately I was not able to get a E2E head threaded down all the way due to the battery length.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Due to Surefire patenting there stuff, you won't find anything with that style switch that I know of