Review: ThruNite Catapult V3 (XM-L2 U2 Version)

ezarc

Newly Enlightened
(Submission for the review forum)

ThruNite Catapult V3
XM-L2 U2 Version
100_0680.JPG

Summary

• CREE LED: The newest XM-L2 LED with U2 bin
  • Stainless steel bezel
  • Tighten bezel for Maximum output, 1000+ OFT lumens and more than 1300 LED lumens, loosen for low. Alaos has medium. high and strobe, with memory function!
  • Mil-Spec Type III Hard Anodizing.
  • Constructed from 7075 AL for superior durability.
  • Length: 185mm; Head diameter: 58mm;Body diameter: 31mm; Weight:390g. (Extension tube excluded)
  • Tactical momentary-on forward click switch
  • IPX-8 water/Dust Resistance.
  • Tail cap design allows the light to tail stand
  • Shatter resistant ultra clear lens with double-sided multilayer AR coating.
  • 54mm textured orange peel reflector
  • Battery option: 2x 18650/ 2x 17670/ 4x CR123/ 2x CR123/2x 16340
  • Runtime: Max 1300 ANSI lumens: 50 minutes High: 865 Ansi Lumens; 100 minutes. Mid: 470 ANSI lumens; 3.5hours. Low. 150lumens 7 hours. (2x 18650 2600mAh)

100_0683.JPG

The ThruNite Catapult V3 XM-L2 U2 version is a update of the V3 that used a XM-L T6 LED. The original version of the Catapult gave ThruNite recognition in flashlight communities and helped them to establish name for them self.

100_0827.JPG

It comes with a extension tube as standard that can be removed to make it single 18650 size or 2 x CR123A.
100_0841.JPG
The Catapult is very solid and well made, the threads are square cut and very smooth. The tube is very thick and gives a feeling of high quality.
100_0724.JPG
The threads and o-rings come pre lubricated with what looks to be silicone grease instead of light oil like on some other ThruNite lights.
100_0731.JPG
Above you can see the catapult partially disassembled, the head has a unique twist function of switching from high to medium when loosened. Also when loosened is the only time you can change modes with the tail cap, then tighten again to stay on the selected level. When you press the switch it will just turn on and off. In the loosened stated you can change to all modes by pressing the tail cap apart from high.
100_0810.JPG
The pill has its own section of tube, you have to be careful when twisting to change modes not to twist the wrong part or nothing will happen. There was a little thermal glue around the top edge of the pill. I didn't try to remove it as it doesn't affect the performance in any way.
100_0706.JPG
The tail cap looks like it will tail stand fine, being top heavy though you would need a even stable surface to avoid it from falling over easily. This switch feels nice to click and it also come with a glow in the dark green boot as well as a complete spare switch and o-rings and grommets.
100_0822.JPG
Back of the driver.

Thats all for now, I will try to update tonight with some thoughts and beam shots.

1x18650.jpg

1 × 18650 at 100 meters
2x18650.jpg

2 × 18650 at 100 meters
120m.jpg

2 × 18650 at 120 meters zoomed
Measurements were taken with google earth.
I'm not happy with the photos, the batteries in the camera I had borrowed for night shots was nearly dead. I had to rush and only had time to take 3 before it died.
After those shots I was lining it up for a 200m shot and had it perfect then it died as I pushed the button.
I will redo the beamshots tomorrow night and compare with some other high output lights as I couldn't fit it in tonight.

Last edited:

MIKES250R

Enlightened
Nice write up! I love my Catapult. Keep it coming, more pics and thoughts!

ezarc

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Mike,

I just added some temp beamshots, I'll redo them properly tomorrow.

And I will add some more thoughts as well once I use it a little more but so far there is its all good.

MIKES250R

Enlightened
I am waiting on an extension tube for mine. When I receive it and some new Panasonic 3400's I am gonna do a runtime comparison test. I hope the Panny's will fit. I will keep you posted. Thanks again for all the pics and write up. I am a flashlight freak. I would like to post more pics as well, but I need to work on my night time photography skills- they are seriously lacking! I need to get to know my camera a little bit better!

smw1138

Newly Enlightened
HI,

Just received my V3 "XM-L2" but I notice that the LED has a green PCB surround rather than silver. Does anyone know how I can tell if I have a genuine XM-L2 since I thought this was the most obvious distinguishing factor.

The new catapult does appear to be brighter and more cool-white than my other two XML throwers namely an Olight SR51 and a Sunwayman V60C. I'm actually quite delighted with it but would be good to know I have the correct item.

kj2

Flashaholic
HI,
Just received my V3 "XM-L2" but I notice that the LED has a green PCB surround rather than silver. Does anyone know how I can tell if I have a genuine XM-L2 since I thought this was the most obvious distinguishing factor.
The new catapult does appear to be brighter and more cool-white than my other two XML throwers namely an Olight SR51 and a Sunwayman V60C. I'm actually quite delighted with it but would be good to know I have the correct item.
t7lssx.jpg

Here you can spot the difference. If it's green it is a XM-L.

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice review. Is there a blueish tint to the light, as is indicative with the laser like beam shots?

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd look more towards the color tint of the area being illuminated, not the visible "light saber" part of the beam in the air. It can deceive your eyes and make the tint look cooler than it really is.

smw1138

Newly Enlightened
Thanks. It's XML :mad:

I now have a genuine XM-L2 by way of replacement. Beam seems a bit tighter and brighter so glad I replaced.

Nice light. I just need to decide whether to carry it with tow or four CR123s.

InspectHerGadget

Enlightened
I must like these lights. I bought one for my nephew in New Zealand for mounting on his .243 and I bought one for myself. Fantastic light in a compact package and easy to carry on a belt too.

Latest posts