nerf gun flashlight/laser mod

musicmagic

Newly Enlightened
after rediscovering my nerf gun collection, I went about modifying them.

a day later, I was browsing youtube for other modification ideas, when I came across a maverick with a custom laser sight in the body. The person was powering the laser with a 3 AA battery holder. Me being the flashaholic I am, I immediately thought about adding a flashlight below the laser, and adding lithium ion batteries.

Now my question is, does anyone know of any good ideas of how to put a flashlight head and heatsink in a tiny plastic casing? I was thinking of the possibility of having the driver board in the handle for space reasons, along with the batteries and charger, with maybe a simple OP reflector on the led, with 3 modes: low, hi, and strobe. I was thinking about sparkfun or adafruits usb charging board along with a li-po battery pack to save even more space.

musings/brain droppings welcome.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Solescud beat you to it. He showed me his weapon light nerf gun at Photon Fest 18 IIRC.

IMG_1485.jpg

IMG_1447.jpg

:D

musicmagic

Newly Enlightened
I was thinking of more of a internal light,although an external one has the option of being taken off and used on its own...

Enlightened
I wanted to do that before, i was gonna replace the "laser" on a night finder with a spare P60 head / lamp, and wire it up like the stock laser.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Everett: That's almost scary!

OP: Depending on how bright of a light you want to use, you might want to consider keeping most of the head out of the plastic for heat management issues. My personal solution was to install a picatinny rail, but I figured I'd also need some counter-weights to re-balance the poor thing so I just went for electric tape.

Last edited:

musicmagic

Newly Enlightened
After I slept on the idea, I thought I could cannibalize an ITP A3 Eos head and wire a switch near the trigger with a battery pack in the handle. It would be relatively well heatsinked, to a point. And it comes out to around 200 Lumens on high with a lithium ion battery, so a 3.7 volt Li-ion battery pack would actually give it more juice then a AAA.

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can always integrate a light into a nerf gun. Small AAA lights can almost fit into dart holders.

Integrated lights are a nice luxury but it is just easier to mount them like the rest of the firearm industry.

nerf_f10.jpg

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
After I slept on the idea, I thought I could cannibalize an ITP A3 Eos head and wire a switch near the trigger with a battery pack in the handle. It would be relatively well heatsinked, to a point. And it comes out to around 200 Lumens on high with a lithium ion battery, so a 3.7 volt Li-ion battery pack would actually give it more juice then a AAA.

Take a look at the new Elite Firestrike or the old Nitefinder. They have LEDs in them and are powered by 2xAA in the grip.

If you want accent lighting, like a video game, then check this guy out.

http://www.nerfmodsreviews.com/2013/01/the-stryfly-coop772s-modified-stryfe.html

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can always integrate a light into a nerf gun. Small AAA lights can almost fit into dart holders.

Integrated lights are a nice luxury but it is just easier to mount them like the rest of the firearm industry.

nerf_f10.jpg

Is that a Nerf gun or a flashlight mantle? :D

Take a look at the new Elite Firestrike or the old Nitefinder. They have LEDs in them and are powered by 2xAA in the grip.

If you want accent lighting, like a video game, then check this guy out.

http://www.nerfmodsreviews.com/2013/01/the-stryfly-coop772s-modified-stryfe.html

The Nitefinders have a 5mm red led with a lens to make it look like a laser sight. It can easily be modded by removing the lens and replacing the LED, but you get direct drive on 2X AA, unless you were to insert a regulator board.

Those are wicked, but definitely give you position away at night!

musicmagic

Newly Enlightened
you could always use lithium ion batteries, and no, they would most certainly not be for stealth use.

:pops out of spider hole: "muahahahaha"
(blast to the face with a strobe and a few rounds and then ducking back in)

the P60 head idea sounds awesome... Red laser, red flashlight... I am starting to really like this idea!

Last edited:

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is that a Nerf gun or a flashlight mantle? :D
The Nitefinders have a 5mm red led with a lens to make it look like a laser sight. It can easily be modded by removing the lens and replacing the LED, but you get direct drive on 2X AA, unless you were to insert a regulator board.
Those are wicked, but definitely give you position away at night!

Why can't it be both? haha

if you look at the video I posted, I replaced the LED setup with a laser. There is a chinese knockoff that put a laser in the Nitefinder bootleg. I harvested those components and put them inside my Nitefinder.

Here is my latest masterpiece. The Nerf Elite Masterkey.