Corduroys are back, why did they ever go out of style?

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was given a JC Penny gift card for Christmas, so a few days after Christmas I went to the mall to Penny's to buy some clothes with that card, and I was really surprised to see corduroy pants for sale there in quite a few colors.

Back in the mid 80's, corduroys were commonly worn, everyone owned them, and when I was about 17, a family friend's son had grown out of a bunch of cords because this kid was about 2 years older than me and he had quite the growth spurt, so I was given 8 or 9 pairs of practically new cords that either hadnt been worn and had tags on them or had only been worn a few times.

So I added them to the few pairs I already owned, and I then had cords in probably 10 different colors from light and dark gray, to light and dark tan, medium and dark blue, black, burgundy, green, brown, etc. These were the thinner weave(wale) cords, not the really thick patterned cords that came out like 10 years ago in baggy styles. I used to prefer cords over jeans, and thats saying something!

You can wear them for casual or upscale casual dress in a way that jeans cant be worn, and with a jacket, they can even pass for dress wear, so they're more flexible and of course they generally come in far more colors! They are also much softer and more comfortable. Right now I'm finally wearing one of the pairs I bought from Penny's a month ago(dont know what took so long!), and I'm reminded how good they look and how cool they are.

I had nearly forgotten cords even though I grew up wearing them as did everyone around me, but the old style, straight leg cords are back in the smaller, finer wale of the 80's. I can understand why some things went out of style, such as bell bottom jeans and chartreuse colored sofas, but not corduroys(?)

Have any of you ever worn cords, did you like them and have you bought any new ones yet? But mostly, why did they go out of style for nearly 25 years?

Last edited:

Burgess

Flashaholic
I can still remember wearing Corduroy pants in early Grade School.

( early 1960's )

And . . . .

I can still remember the Distinctive Sound they made when I walked down the hallway !

:whistle:
_

I remember dropping some Elmer's Glue on the leg of a pair I was wearing, it ate all the corduroy off. Must of been 40 years ago. I too remember how cool and good I looked in them. :naughty:
F
~ Chance

StarHalo

Flashaholic
You might want to check the fit on those cords; most sold in stores now are skinny/super slim, for the hipster look..

el-hipster.jpg

RNDDUDE

Newly Enlightened
I thought they were banned due to friction fires when worn by big leg girls....

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember in high school in the mid 80's, almost everyone wore them here and there, and many of the hottest girls had skin tight pairs of corduroys that we would always look forward to seeing! But the ones worn by guys werent really tight or anything. They werent as loose as some of the 'relaxed fit' pants of today, but they werent tight either, at least for most guys. They were like the basic straight leg Levi jeans, not too loose, but not tight.

Maybe there's a difference in the materials used in the newer cords, but neither of the pairs I bought make that zzzt, zzzt, zzzt noise when you're walking. But I cant remember that being a huge problem back in the day, unless you walked with your legs too close together or something.

Last edited: