True Flashaholics LED Lamp--18650-AAA--HexLamp

Verndog

Enlightened
As some may remember I was in search for a high quality LED Lamp to hold 18650 thru AAA size lights for hobby shop, computer desk, camping, RV, garage, outdoor, and all around use. Found the mag base units pretty limited in ability, and several others that just did not do a quality light justice...so I set out to fix that. I built several of these for personal use since I'm a CNC machinist, tool designer by trade. Put too may hours into this project but the outcome is way worth it in the end. This is all 100% stainless steel precision CNC machined with a 360 degree smooth pivot head. The hex rod is threaded on both ends and extensions can be added up to 2 feet with stability to hold the larger 18650 single lights.

Here are some pics of the project.

HexLamp-1.jpg
HexLamp-2.jpg
HexLamp-3.jpg
HexLamp-4.jpg
HexLamp-5.jpg
HexLamp-6.jpg
HexLamp-7.jpg

Last edited:

TweakMDS

Enlightened
Cool, I have a similar feature that I built from "scrap" photographic lighting equipment. It screw-clamps to the table on one end, has a ballhead at the base, short extendable arm (looks about the same height) and another small ballhead with an 1/4"/20 thread at the top. To that I attach a clamp that can hold a light.

Works well to hold just about anything.

Verndog

Enlightened
very nicely done :thumbsup:
is that a yokomo?

Thank you. It's an Xray 008 setup for modified class racing.

Will you be offering to make a few? Just wondering. Looks very high quality! Nicely done :twothumbs

I plan to go back and evaluate the machine cycle time and cost, but have a feeling they will be too expensive to build for resale. I did make a few extras that I may sell to offset the costs to build.

Cool, I have a similar feature that I built from "scrap" photographic lighting equipment. It screw-clamps to the table on one end, has a ballhead at the base, short extendable arm (looks about the same height) and another small ballhead with an 1/4"/20 thread at the top. To that I attach a clamp that can hold a light.

Works well to hold just about anything.

The height is 12" and can be extended to 24" by adding another hex bar. I may add holes to the base feet to actually screw in and hardmount for outdoor use. 2 of these lamps (or even one!) can turn your backyard into a outdoor night playfield...pretty cool the possibilities with these new (and small) 18650 lights.

sinnyc

Newly Enlightened
Wow, that's gorgeous. I can't see to well on my phone but are those rubber teeth in the clamp? Nice work :thumbsup:

Verndog

Enlightened
Wow, that's gorgeous. I can't see to well on my phone but are those rubber teeth in the clamp? Nice work :thumbsup:

Thank you! Yes, it's some high quality industrial rubber matting that has thin blade like teeth that bite into the light with very little pressure. This also helps to hold a variety of sized lights as the fingers self form to the shape. The clamp will go from 1.020 Dia. (18650 body) all the way to a small single AA lamp, and just a change of shorter knurled screws, it will grip a AAA light.

Raiden

Newly Enlightened
Nice set up you have there. I too am a RC'er and that lamp is excellent for lighting up my work. I bet it does great for power outages too for flashlights that cant tailstand.

I wouldnt mind getting one of my own if you plan on selling those.

-John

Verndog

Enlightened
Nice set up you have there. I too am a RC'er and that lamp is excellent for lighting up my work. I bet it does great for power outages too for flashlights that cant tailstand.

I wouldnt mind getting one of my own if you plan on selling those.

-John

My hope was to be able to build and sell these as there are so many uses for a high quality lamp stand with todays great new lights...unfortunately after adding up all the costs and CNC machine time they would be way too expensive to sell retail. I'll need to figure out who all in the family is getting one for Christmas / B-Day but I have prob. 4 that I will be selling at about 50% of what it cost me to build. :sick:Anyone interested here can PM me and have first shot before I put them up. I just finished building the remaining feet today and added holes to hard mount for outdoor use, screw into a tree or what have you. :laughing:

Verndog

Enlightened
Looks beautiful, but wouldn't a ring stand, clamp and clamp holder have worked?

Mark

Sure, but I was going for something with a bit more sophisticated look then circles. Also then you'd need a split bar clamp to grab a round shaft or you'll mar it with a stop screw. Also to get the stability you'd need to start with larger 4.0 stock size that would have been even more costly.

Enlightened
I just have a lab background and have had a seemingly endless series of tightwad bosses so I just automatically thought of the most cost effective work-around.:broke:

Mark

Verndog

Enlightened
I just have a lab background and have had a seemingly endless series of tightwad bosses so I just automatically thought of the most cost effective work-around.:broke:

Mark

Ya, that would not be more cost effective for me though. It would require an additional machining center to go from the lathe to the mill. You'd still need to go to a mill to machine the flats and off center holes. Couldn't leave it all round because too much weight up high would tip the lamp over. Keep in mind this optionally extents to 2 feet tall to give a nice spread of light over a larger work area.

nopar

Newly Enlightened
WOW!! That is nice. I built one myself a few years ago and oddly enough it was to work on my RC stuff (run an older yokomo BD). Needed something to put some light when soldering and and misc maint. I did put a bearing in the bottom of the stand so I could spin it a bit easier without moving anything else, I also tapped in some different sized holes to hold some of those tiny hex screws while working. I use a fenix e15 or an eagletac clicky. Sneak over to the dealers corner. Going gear has an awesome sale going on. Wouldn't it be sweet to figure out a smart usefull way to get some those blue anodized screws on it.

Enlightened
Ya, that would not be more cost effective for me though.

I was referring to store-bought. The 20" stand, clamp and clamp holder are $25 on Amazon. In fact I think I'm going to order the set. I just bought a cheap USB microscope that works well enough, but the included stand is unsteady, short and doesn't allow the microscope to point straight down. This could do double duty.

Mark