Pelican Case Foam Options

MatthewSB

Enlightened
I got a Pelican 1040, planning on storing 4 or so batteries and a C2 inside. I also bought the factory "pick and pluck" foam insert.

The foam sucks. It comes in 1cm cubes, and after removing a few the others were compressed funny resulting in an ugly, wavy, mess. It works when the stuff is in there, but comes apart when the light is taken out.

Doing a google image search, there have been lots of great setups posted here in ooooold threads (that I'm hesitant to resurrect), where people got a different kind of foam and cut it themselves. The foam looks way sturdier, and much cleaner because everything isn't in 1cm cubes.

Where can I get some better foam, and how do I cut it cleanly?

Yamabushi

Enlightened
Locally, you may find foam in upholstery shops, hardware stores, hobby shops, etc. I bought some at a camera shop that sold Pelican cases (at the time some Pelican inserts were available in both uncut and "Pick-n-Pluck").

Online, just Google "Pelican foam" or "waffle foam". Many sellers have both "Pick-n-Pluck" and uncut replacement kits. Some suppliers such as pelicanfoam.com will make custom inserts.

You can get clean cuts with any razor-sharp blade, e.g., Olfa knife. Some people recommend a serrated blade.

Mr_MagicMallyMall

Newly Enlightened
In reference to the cutting, I know of a guy who does custom rifles, and switches out the foam issued with the cases. He uses water jets to cut out the desired shape. I know that may seem like a little much, especially for your average joe, but then again, you may not be the average joe.

1pt21

Enlightened
In reference to the cutting, I know of a guy who does custom rifles, and switches out the foam issued with the cases. He uses water jets to cut out the desired shape. I know that may seem like a little much, especially for your average joe, but then again, you may not be the average joe.

SICK!

Do you just know a guy, or do you know a guy with a website that takes custom orders???

Thanks for any info!!

Jestertac

Newly Enlightened
Closed cell foam is not as soft but it won't absorb water. That should be a consideration for a flashlight case to help prevent oxidation. I'm assuming the case if for long term storage...

You can use a turkey knife to shape the foam, or get a more expensive hot wire (nichrome) setup to slice through the foam by melting it. There's plenty of stuff online showing how to do this, and if done well it looks/works great.

1pt21

Enlightened
You can use a turkey knife to shape the foam, or get a more expensive hot wire (nichrome) setup to slice through the foam by melting it. There's plenty of stuff online showing how to do this, and if done well it looks/works great.

EPIC!!!

sixteenornumber

Newly Enlightened
I got a Pelican 1040, planning on storing 4 or so batteries and a C2 inside. I also bought the factory "pick and pluck" foam insert.

The foam sucks. It comes in 1cm cubes, and after removing a few the others were compressed funny resulting in an ugly, wavy, mess. It works when the stuff is in there, but comes apart when the light is taken out.

Doing a google image search, there have been lots of great setups posted here in ooooold threads (that I'm hesitant to resurrect), where people got a different kind of foam and cut it themselves. The foam looks way sturdier, and much cleaner because everything isn't in 1cm cubes.

Where can I get some better foam, and how do I cut it cleanly?

i've used peel and pluck with great results. I cut it with a razor blade. be careful not to make the walls too thin, ie: 1 cube walls is often too think. on the bright side, it's cheep to buy a replacement block.