nitecore EA4 or eagletac D25lc2 clicky

tcr03

Newly Enlightened
i cant decide which one to get. for those of you who have both, which one do you like better. im not worried about the price, or the battery type. im just torn as to which one im going to like better as far as performance

Verndog

Enlightened
i cant decide which one to get. for those of you who have both, which one do you like better. im not worried about the price, or the battery type. im just torn as to which one im going to like better as far as performance

I own both and much prefer the Nitecore for around the home use. Now if I were to carry one then definitely the LC2 has it's advantages and a nice low mode. What I don't like about EagleTac is the mode spacing and mixing some real useable mid range modes in with strobe (on newer versions not the actual LC2). But...these are different animals and the EagleTac forces you into a 18650 cell that you really need to know the pro's and con's with before you jump. If you have AA rechargeables only, then that has to weigh HEAVY in your decision IMO.

Last edited:

tcr03

Newly Enlightened
Its ok. im not new to 18650s. ive had a fenix tk11 r2 for years now and thats all i use in it. i also have a quark aa that i use 14500s in it.

bthrel

Newly Enlightened
As a owner of both as well, I would have to agree with Verndogs assessment. I do find the EA4 gets more use however...

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd take the EA4 over ther D25Lc2, mostly cause I'm not a fan of the specs of the Lc2. The D25c is the only one from that line that I want because it meets or exceeds everything else in its class.

the new Nitecores are really a must try, the output and throw to size ratio are incredible in there new lineup

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the Ec25, and it smokes both my PD32ue and zebralight sc600, even though the output is similar, the deep smooth reflector really puts out a solid well defined hotspot with nice spill. It'll appear much brighter than the Lc2 due too the width and depth or the reflector.
The ec25 is smaller than the ea4
The EA4 should have around 20k lux, which puts it in with the mid range throwers like the Crelant 7G6cs

heres Selfbuilt's review of the Ea4, it's a good read
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...xAA)-Review-RUNTIMES-BEAMSHOTS-VIDEO-and-more!

Last edited:

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the Ec25, and it smokes both my PD32ue and zebralight sc600, even though the output is similar, the deep smooth reflector really puts out a solid well defined hotspot with nice spill. It'll appear much brighter than the Lc2 due too the width and depth or the reflector.
The ec25 is smaller than the ea4
The EA4 should have around 20k lux, which puts it in with the mid range throwers like the Crelant 7G6cs

heres Selfbuilt's review of the Ea4, it's a good read
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...xAA)-Review-RUNTIMES-BEAMSHOTS-VIDEO-and-more!

+1 Spot ON, CH! :) Just got my EA4 today, and admittedly, i didnt think i'd love an AA only light after being spoiled by 14500's and 18650's, but I stand corrected. EA4's a nice solid light with good throw, can't wait for the EA8! :)

wonkycows

Newly Enlightened
I have both the EA4 and the D25LC2 (all the eagletac D series actually). I'm impressed by both.
I find the D25 to have slightly more flood and the EA4 to have more throw. I haven't had the EA4 for very long (a couple of weeks) but I've had the Eagletacs for ages and tested them a lot. My primary use for these lights is underground exploring and I find the floody nature of the D25LC2 to suit this well. It's stood up to all sorts of abuse too and the really small form factor makes it great too. In fact all the D lights I own have been under water, in mud, dropped from height and left on for 10 hours at a time and never ever missed a beat. Right now I'd have to say that if my life depended on a light it would be this one.
That said, I can't wait to get underground with the EA4. I'm not as sure that the switch will stand up to the same sort of abuse, but I'm quite happy to be proved wrong. I love the interface and it definitely has more wow factor to it that the D's, both in power, throw and actually in the hand. This is a really great light and I can really see why everyones so into it at the moment. I know it's gonna be one of my favorites too.
In my opinion, you can't really go wrong with either of these choices. Obviously it depends what you're gonna use them for. But you could always just get both.:devil:
I did!

tcr03

Newly Enlightened
i would love to get both, but im planning on getting one of them and a quark aa2x in tactical. so that just about tops out my budget at the moment.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
i would love to get both, but im planning on getting one of them and a quark aa2x in tactical. so that just about tops out my budget at the moment.

if you will be in high temp environments, might want to forgo the EA4, there's a post here from Australia that he left the light in the car, which would get hot in the summer sun 45 degrees outside (to about 60 degrees Celsius inside the car), the switch of the EA4 expanded.

my guess is that they used regular rubber switch and not the silicon-based one (silicon has higher temperature tolerance).

so you might want to consider that before you buy.

so far the two days ive had the EA4, its a nice light, a bit heavy when loaded up with cells so its heavy to carry in the pocket, might be better to let it ride inside its carrying case and hang it off your belt or something. i'd recommend this light to anyone wishing to remain using AA cells but would like the light to have big output and throw in a tiny package. Just dont leave it out in too much heat! :)

Verndog

Enlightened
....That said, I can't wait to get underground with the EA4. I'm not as sure that the switch will stand up to the same sort of abuse, but I'm quite happy to be proved wrong.

Be careful with abuse on this light, the bigger they are, the harder they fall...and the EA4 is not going to land like the LC2. I already read of a drop that resulted in broken lense and bent bezel. I highly suggest you put on a rubber anti roll ring that will protect the bezel from major impact. I bought a few and they fit great!

http://www.officerstore.com/store/product.cfm/pid_4672_streamlight_stinger_anti_roll_ring/

markr6

Flashaholic
Be careful with abuse on this light, the bigger they are, the harder they fall...
So true! I'm very careful with mine. It just seems like it would destroy itself if ever dropped onto concrete or a hard floor. On a side note, I just knocked my H51 off the kitchen table this morning onto a tile floor - that put a decent dent into the tailcap :(

wonkycows

Newly Enlightened
Be careful with abuse on this light, the bigger they are, the harder they fall...and the EA4 is not going to land like the LC2. I already read of a drop that resulted in broken lense and bent bezel. I highly suggest you put on a rubber anti roll ring that will protect the bezel from major impact. I bought a few and they fit great!

http://www.officerstore.com/store/product.cfm/pid_4672_streamlight_stinger_anti_roll_ring/

That anti roll ring looks good. :thumbsup: Looks like it should have come with the light. They missed a trick there.
Rolling off is not such a bog issue for me though. But I was thinking that an inner tube stretched over it might improve it's chances of surviving a drop and taking bashes a little better. Worked surprisingly well on some other lights. Not much to do about the lens though. Time will tell I suppose.
Great little light though, top marks to nitecore

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a bummer that it's unibody design can't make it withstand drops and falls. My Quark's fallen and been roughed up many times but still comes back for more. But that's okay, most of my lights in my collection are in "immaculate" condition and are kept in the original box.