SureFire E1B still a good buy at $112.00

SlipKid

Newly Enlightened
Is the SureFire E1B still a good buy at $112.00? Is the newer version (EB1) worth the extra $40.00? I like the size and the clip on this light, I like to wear the light on the inside of my pants pocket. If this was going to be you first EDC light which would buy? I have read the pros and cons of each light, I am leaning towards the E1B.
Thnaks

Last edited:

MatthewSB

Enlightened
I'm about to order one myself.

I think that the extra $40 for the "tactical" tailcap one is worth it to me, because I like the low 5 lumen mode first. I hike and walk in the dark, and don't want to kill my nightvision with a 200 lumen blast just to get to the low mode.

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the SureFire E1B still a good buy at $112.00? Is the newer version (EB1) worth the extra $40.00?

Like several of us here, I own both. The E1B is a great light, and the EB1, though brighter initially, has some, uh, 'issues'. Robin24k says a firmware update is coming someday but I'm not too sure it will be available for existing lights:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...n-Flashlight&p=4115481&viewfull=1#post4115481

There is a good, opinionated discussion of both lights in the thread cited above.

Some of the legacy Surefire lights are closed out at fire sale prices (e.g. the 6P and 9P), others seem to keep the same MSRP to the end, not sure what will happen to the still popular E1B in the future.

SlipKid

Newly Enlightened
I did not know there may be issues with the EB1, this may effect my choice.

brianna

Enlightened
Go with the E1B. Time proven over the years to be an excellent light. Flat regulation and wonderful dependability.
The EB1 has problems but one day it may be an excellent light. The E1B is the light responsible for getting me hooked on this hobby.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
skip the E1B. The EB1 kills all my E1Bs in output and it has a flawless beam, unlike the artifacts that are present in 2 of the 3 E1Bs I currently own. In my usage the EB1 has been excellent. Just got some 3v Rcr123 for flat output and free lumens.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depends on what you want. Retina searing lumens, you probably want to do the EB1. For flat regulation & great runtime, you're going to be happier with the E1B.

brianna

Enlightened
Let us know if they stopped the flickering problem when you get your new light.

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yep, I'll wait before I buy another EB1 to see if they fix the problems, perhaps Robin24k has received his updated marketing samples for review by now.

I've bought a five E1B's, the first one years ago had a horrible tint. The later ones have a great tint and do seem to be brighter, there is some controversy whether the advertised lumens increase is real according to posts here on CPF.

I gave away three of the E1B's to family members and have one stock and I put in a 5000K XP-G2 emitter in the other one.

Lately, the EB1 stays in a drawer and I carry the XP-G2 E1B with a Z68 tailcap. I am hopeful that later units of the EB1 will have better tint, mine is definitely greenish, and thanks to Robin24k's testing will have several other issues fixed as well.

SlipKid

Newly Enlightened
Depends on what you want. Retina searing lumens, you probably want to do the EB1. For flat regulation & great runtime, you're going to be happier with the E1B.

I think the flat regulation & great run time is more important to me then the extra lumens.
I am leaning towards the E1B.....................

brianna

Enlightened
You will be very happy with the E1B. When the light first became available people around here we're posting about it all the time. I still find the light amazing. I'm sure in a few months the EB1 will be just as amazing. My faith in Surefire is not as strong as it used to be. They Never should've released this light until it was perfect.

tonywalker23

Newly Enlightened
You guys that do have the eb1, what would happen if I put the head on an e2dl body? (Or the defender head on the eb1 body) Would it work? Right now my only "real" flashlight is the e2dl. Thinking about getting an eb1 with tax money, just wondering about the possibilities.

MatthewSB

Enlightened

I'll post a full review.

I think the flat regulation & great run time is more important to me then the extra lumens.
I am leaning towards the E1B.....................

I read through the last 20 pages of the Great EB1 Debate Thread, and from what I gathered....

- The regulation is the same on the 5 lumen setting, so run time will be equal on low between the EB1 and E1B

- Runtime on high setting with the E1B will be consistently 110 lumens, where the EB1 starts twice as bright and goes down from there. I can't figure out why someone would prefer a light that starts out half as powerful, and stays half as powerful longer, when they could start out a 200 lumens and deal with eventually ending up where the E1B starts.

Correct me if I'm misunderstanding something. That thread was amazing, it was great to have so much technical and practical information in one place!

Edited to Add:

As an analogy... You have a choice between two different race cars, to go down the same 1/4 mile track. The first car rapidly accelerates to 200 mph, but slows down eventually reaching 100mph, by the end while the second car can only get to 100mph and stays that way the whole race. The first car would obviously win.

Again, if I'm misunderstanding something please correct me.

Last edited:

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Again, if I'm misunderstanding something please correct me.

You are not misunderstanding anything. the relentless criticising of a light name "back up" that is pushing the envelope of what a small 1 cell light can do is typical of CPF. I've been around since 2004 and it never gets old.

the ironic part is, of all the criticism of the EB1's output characteristics, no one can suggested a viable alternative. The closest I've seen is over driving an L1 Cree with 3.7v RCR 123, but that shortens runtime and voids the warranty so :shrug:

Last edited: