I demand an interchangeable bezel Zebralight Headlamp with o-ring

Would you buy a ZL with an interchangeable bezel?

• Total voters

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Riffing off the "I demand a dual-LED Zebralight Headlamp" thread...how about a ZL with interchangeable screw-down bezels, sealed with a nice beefy o-ring that doesn't leak? Alternate bezels would allow you to shape the beam spread (and even tint & color) to your preference.

Last edited:

Kyle K

Newly Enlightened
I like ZebraLight as much as the next guy. I own four of them and would buy more, but for the fact that they aren't readily available. How about demanding that they get their production capacity up to snuff before they add even more products to their lineup that they can't satisfy the demand for. Have you taken a look at their website lately? Or websites of their dealers? The vast majority of ZebraLight products are out of stock/backordered and have been for months. I don't believe a company can survive solely on the support of hard-core enthusiasts like the members of this forum, at least not while keeping prices reasonable. Being able to satisfy/expand the demand for its products benefits everyone.

gravelmonkey

Enlightened
Yes and no?

Part of the appeal for ZL's is (was) their simple design- I hate the new SC52 ribs!

If they could make the bezel sit fairly flush then I would get one!

GM

Shorty66

Enlightened
I still think, that the press-fitting should`nt be the problem with the waterproofing. If its done correctly, a press-fitted light should easily be waterproof enough for ip67.

In my point of view, mutiple beam options are only as good as they are easy to use.
As i would never change the reflector or anything alike i would have any need for an interchangeable bezel.

As I don`t think, that the majority of customers would want to customize their headlamp, i suspect it would rather be an economically bad idea.

On top, i agree with gravelmonkey: I Love a simple design. The h501 comes pretty close to perfection in that regard, i think.

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
SD6 with the reflector wouldn't do the trick?

In my case, an SD52, and an SX5. That's money I'm paying to Spark, that ZL coulda had.

I still think, that the press-fitting should`nt be the problem with the waterproofing. If its done correctly, a press-fitted light should easily be waterproof enough for ip67.

"Should" is the operative word here. I agree, if done correctly, a press fit should be sufficient. In fact, a user-removable bezel adds the possibility of a "human error" leak. All of my ZLs (lost count -- seven?) have resisted water, although I don't expose them to much moisture, other than the obligatory dunk test when new.

As i would never change the reflector or anything alike i would have any need for an interchangeable bezel.

I do, and it's easy, and it keeps the very minimalist, simple design intact. No need for a second emitter or the heavier and larger body it would entail, or the significant additional complexity and expense of dual emitters. Nothing against dual emitters, it's a great concept, but it's somewhat at odds with the traditional minimalist philosophy of ZL.

How about demanding that they get their production capacity up to snuff before they add even more products to their lineup that they can't satisfy the demand for.

Ha haaaaa...start a new thread and let the voting begin!

Last edited:

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't see why it has to be a big issue in the manufacturing, it seems to me it could be easily incorporated into the current design simply by creating a single new part that would take the place of the current press-fit bezel. The only difference is that the new part would extend past the front of the light and hold the threads for filters and/or lenses of various angles.

Admittedly, this still leaves the issue of the quality of the fitting of the new threaded bezel unaddressed, but it would be the quickest and easiest solution to the problem. Further, if the thread diameter was made to match that of other similar lights on the market, namely the Spark products, then it adds to the appeal of the design change because anyone with Spark accessories could also use them with their ZL, and vice versa for any accessories ZL were to produce. They're similar enough as it is to reasonably assume they're made in the same factory, so it shouldn't be a big deal from a manufacturing standpoint; the only issue would be getting Spark to agree to let ZL use their same sizing conventions.

Of course, a better solution would be for the emitter housing itself to be threaded to allow for completely different bezels to be fit to the light. Not sure if that'd be an increase in manufacturing R&D and tooling to make happen or not though. I think it would also represent a potential for compromising the light from user error, and ZL might not be willing to open themselves up to the issues that would come up from someone messing up their light via user error, and expecting ZL to replace it as a result.

In short, I would be very interested in being able to have a threaded bezel, particularly if a set of aspheric lenses with different diopters were available so that you could tailor the width of the beam to your taste/needs. And, a true deep red filter for astronomy would also be much appreciated by me as well.