Enlightened
Looking to buy some 18650 cells.

Question is, should I get the Button or no Button versions

The lights that they will be used in is:

Fenix
PD32 (Dual springs)
PD32UE (Dual springs)
TK15 (Single spring)

All three will take just one 18650 so I'm not worried about two cells being end-to-end and having to make contact.

Just wondering about the over all length of the 18650.

Thanks!

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go with button tops. You never know what new light you might get next. All work with button tops...but not the other way around...so stay flexible.

wjv

Enlightened
Thanks! Ordered the with button variety.

It will be nice to run my lights without having to worry about "burning through batteries".

Already use eloops for my AA and AAA lights.

kmorar556

Newly Enlightened
Thanks! Ordered the with button variety.

It will be nice to run my lights without having to worry about "burning through batteries".

Already use eloops for my AA and AAA lights.

Im glad you asked before buying them, because I should have done that! All my 18650 have no button and the next light I have coming in has to have a button... :/

LED19

Newly Enlightened
For flat top cells just get the little magnetic spacers from Lighthounds.

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
For flat top cells just get the little magnetic spacers from Lighthounds.

I had a bad experience with those little magnets on an unprotected blue label buttonless 18650 a few years ago. I used the magnet in an early model (Lux V with the plastic sleeve removed) Surefire U2 and dropped the light while it was on. I was working on a computer and the light rolled under a table and went dark. I was struggling with a connector or something and didn't crawl on my belly like a reptile immediately to retrieve the U2. I figured it was already off, right? After a minute or so I smelled something and grabbed the light, it was too hot to hold. Somehow the magnet had become dislodged, short circuiting the battery. I got the tailcap off in time to prevent a Boeing 787 style mishap but quit using unprotected Li-ion batteries and those little magnets.

I've been able to achieve a similar heating effect by plugging a four pin ATX power connector into a motherboard with the wrong orientation. Just like in a Boeing, a burning smell needs to be checked out NOW. :eek:

Last edited: