No Love for the Jetbeam ST Cycler?

buds224

Enlightened
I am amazed at the floodiness and lumen strength of the ST Cycler. I'm fighting the itch to buy a couple more.....with tax returns around the corner I just might do it.

Excellent for bike rides AND walks with the kids at night.

I feel like I'm the only one that appreciates this light. I'd like to hear other ST Cycler owners chime in about this very useful light.

:wave:

BadBulb4U

Newly Enlightened
I also like my ST Cycler. It can serve as a bicycle flashlight or general everyday use. It is a very floody light, compact for a light that uses a 18650 battery, tailstands, has great mode spacing and puts out a lot of light. It has no sharp edges, so I don't mind putting it in my pocket. I think it would make a great flashlight for a backpacker or camper too. :popcorn:

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Love the aesthetics of this light, bought one just for the design.
The new ones have a darker gunmetal HAIII.
Had Vinh put in a Nichia 119 HCRI so now not quite as bright but makes up for it with beautiful tint.
jetbeamst119a.jpg

jetbeamst119b.jpg

tjswarbrick

Enlightened
I like it a lot, but at the time I was looking for one I had decided that new acquisitions needed a neutral emitter and OP (or LOP) reflector. Plus I was learning about some of JB's alleged business practices, which kind of put me off.
I'd still like to have one, but factoring in sending it to someone to mod, I think I have more cost-effective options.

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been eyeing this one, with the idea of putting it on my mountain bike, which I plan to actually get out and ride this summer/fall. I've had a few JetBeams, Jet III Pro ST and a couple of Jet 1 Pro v2 AA lights (if I remember JT nomenclature correctly) and was very happy with them.

I think I too would be likely to send it off to have a high CRI emitter swapped in, though on a bike light, that isn't so important to me.

fyrstormer

Banned
The ST Cycler is a slight refresh of an older design, which I believe was originally called the Jet-III ST. That version had Jetbeam's Infinite Brightness System to allow the user to custom-program each of three brightness settings. I don't know if this version has the same flexibility, but honestly, as a bike light, multiple modes is not terribly useful. If you're riding at night, you need full brightness so you can see obstacles far away; if you're riding near sunset, you may not need a lot of light to see, but you still need full brightness so cars will see you, and pedestrians won't be blinded because their eyes are still daytime-adjusted. I haven't found a situation yet where anything less than full brightness was actually useful while riding my bike, so I opted for a different solution:

For roughly the same price as the ST Cycler, I put together a Solarforce housing (which can be easily replaced if damaged in a crash), a Malkoff M60F drop-in (which is fully-potted for ultimate ruggedness), and a pair of brake-reflector brackets rigged together to make an angle-adjustable mounting bracket. The under-handlebar positioning effectively shields the light from damaged in the most likely crash scenarios, something which (as far as I know) no commercial bike-light mount can claim. I even replaced the switch with a McClicky for a few extra bucks. It's drop-dead reliable, it doesn't wobble around no matter how hard I hit stuff, and I spent money on durability instead of features I'll probably never use.

Last edited:

darklord

Newly Enlightened
Nice idea, Fyrstormer, although a lot of that geekery is lost on me, I'm afraid. "Drop-in"..."fully potted"..."McClicky"...??? And it looks like your expensive GPS has been relegated to the "most likely crash scenario" position. :ironic:

It's fair enough if you'll never use the other features of the Jetbeam - but I'm certainly one of the (I suspect) many people who have more than a single use for a torch....whoops, sorry, "flashlight".

Looking at basic specs of the Jetbeam Cycler I feel it has superb potential as an all-rounder with performance to boot.

Last edited: