Failed 2D ROP

Showmethelight

Newly Enlightened
So I tried the seemingly, cant mess it up, standard 2D ROP build, swapping out the plastic lens and reflector for glass and metal ones (sanwicheshoppe camless, bored to fit over the bulb). Used the pelican 3854 bulb set and the TITANIUM INNOVATIONS 3AA to 1D battery adapters. Pressed the button on my mag hoping for light but all I got was the bulbs (hi and low) to glow, less bright than stock:confused:. Pretty disappointing. Do I just have a bad set of bulbs? Is something else off? Tried running it with 6 eneloops, 6 energizer lithium, and even regular Duracell alkalines, all had the same result.
any input would help.

also what are my alternatives if I just scrap the ROP, what else (drop ins, bulbs) can go into a 2d mag running off either 6AA's in my adapters or two tenergy rechargeable D's? I currently have a malkoff XML drop in hosted in a 4D mag that I'm reasonably happy with (tad warm, greenish tint for me).
thanks for reading

EscapeVelocity

Enlightened
You sure the batteries are aligned properly? You sure you have a 6AA in Series adaptor? Is the adaptor making contact front and rear properly?

The Fusion 36 is a good drop in for a 6AA adaptor 2D, but Id make sure that you know what's what before sinking more money into that project.

Showmethelight

Newly Enlightened
http://www.batteryjunction.com/titanium-3aa1d-par-adapter.html
is the exact adapter I'm using X2, from the description:
The Titanium Innovations 3AA to 1D adapter puts three AA-size batteries in parallel to boost capacity. These adapters are normally used with rechargeable Ni-MH AA batteries to take the place of a D cell in a flashlight, such as a Maglite. Now you can use the rechargeble AA's you already have to power your flashlight.

Features and Specifications:
Compatible with AA size batteries
Keeps voltage of AA's the same
Dimensions (L x D): 2.5" x 1.24" (63.5 x 31.5 mm)
Weight: 0.08 oz (22.7 g)
Made of light-weight, durable plastic

considering, the cost of two of those adapters I sure hope they are not somehow incorrect, it seemed very hard to find 3AA to 1D adapters for sale almost anywhere I looked (or 6AA to 2D) currently. Alignment and contact of the batteries seems to be just fine.

Norm

Retired Administrator
There may be too much resistance in the TITANIUM INNOVATIONS 3AA to 1D battery adapters.

Norm

Showmethelight

Newly Enlightened
Ouch, looks like a made a costly mistake of buying two adapters that run in parallel vs series for 1.5V vs 4.5V. In a hurry to buy and not really knowing such a difference existed sure makes me feel foolish.

fortean101

Newly Enlightened
You can put the adaptor on cpf marketplace and get some funds from it if you decide to finish the build, we have all done it, honest!

EscapeVelocity

Enlightened
Yeah, you want to run 6 batteries in series to increase the voltage up to 9v.....and get those bulbs cookin!

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can use pair of AW's protected 18650 in PVC spacer and some tail mode.
More capacity (3400 mAh vs 2000mAh), light weight, easier to recharge and easier to carry extra set of batteries.
This set up is good for ROP LO
For ROP HO use pair of IMR 18650

Showmethelight

Newly Enlightened
Im going to finish off the "build" with the correct adapters, this also gave me an excuse to grab one of those glo-toob flash caps, which i saw in another thread here, and toss it on my 4D with the malkoff, those seem fairly handy.
From what I've read this ROP build is a bit gimmicky as per run time vs the just mentioned 18650 build or a 6D nimh build, but that is actually ok as I got more lights than I can handle these days and really the whole point was to see the difference in light quality/perception vs some of my LEDs and have a bit of fun. Right now the only light I have which uses a bulb is the ryobi xenon spotlight (great bang for the buck imo) so it will be nice to see something else.
If it all goes well I think I will end up pairing this 2D with a terralux ministar 31m-ex as Ive seen one in action and despite losing throw and being obviously floody, has a much nicer cool white tint than my malkoff xml; that would leave the ROP parts to throw in a big 6D for longer run times.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
If 3400mAh mentioned in post #8 is not enough and need more capacity/run time, Dual bored 2.5D with slightly longer body will give you double the capacity (6800mAh) and very long run time while much shorter than 6D and light weight.

Showmethelight

Newly Enlightened
If 3400mAh mentioned in post #8 is not enough and need more capacity/run time, Dual bored 2.5D with slightly longer body will give you double the capacity (6800mAh) and very long run time while much shorter than 6D and light weight.

love the looks of 1D mags, can much be run off a non bored 1D using just a 3AA holder(drop ins)? Im in the small camp that still just uses rechargeable D's, AA's, AAA's and lithium cr123 primary batteries for all my lights. Never bought a charger for 18650's or any lights that would solely need them, I know i should just give in to those batteries but with the recent move to usb rechargable within the newer lights it makes me not want to even less now. The 1D lights that I see some people show their work off on sure do look great and as a maglite host there seems to be comfort in knowing you have a light upgradeable everytime the LED market makes an uptick also (hats off to drop in makers).
Got my 2D ROP working fwiw, my current reflector doesnt allow for great focus (which i figured might be likely, not cammed, so I ordered the cheapy off kaidomain)