2 AA Mini Maglite conversion kit TLE-5EX

eliosfederico

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone,
yesterday I got this kit for 20 dollars and I couldn't be more happy with it. Works great with LSD Ni-Mh and of course the difference with the original bulb it's enormous. I decided to open a new thread because i noticed that the led and the metal round under it after 5-10 minutes gets extremely hot. I know that the most enemy of a LED it's the heat, if not properly dissipated could damage the diode. Now, I'm not an expert, and this is my first LED kit so I have no idea if this is normal or the heat should be better dissipated. Anyone with the same kit could tell me if this is normal or I should do something? I also got the TTS-3wCREE (rated 180 lumen) for my maglite 3D and compared to the stock led of the maglite 3D the light it's just more white but not really more bright so that's why I think that it's not 180 lumen as rated.

Thr3Evo

Enlightened
Found this for you that should help some. Do click on the link he suggests and look for post #163 for more info(that thread is closed so I couldn't share the direct msg. But the link is there and still works).
i think no matter the emitter its gonna need heatsinking cuz of high current , but i would still love to see a 5ex seoul vs cree beamshot , i got this feeling the cree has brighter spill but cant confirm

anywhow ,wow i cant believe i posted this so long ago it seemed like yesterday and boy did the time fly and my wallet lighten :broke:

read here to
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showpost.php?p=1911975&postcount=163

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the same drop in for the MiniMag. Although I really like it I think the heatsinking-design of it isn't good enough to run it for a prolonged time.

The idea of qip is really nice might try this one too.

rayman

eliosfederico

Newly Enlightened
I have to say that putting the "ring" there will decrease the possibility to focus because the ring thakes too much space. I measured the temperature (without rings) of the diod after 10-15 mins of continuous use and it was 85° Celsius, and the heatsink was 70° Celsius.