AA LED Lanterns

Grizzly22

Newly Enlightened
Hello, I'm looking to get a lantern that runs on AA batteries.

Currently I'm liking the Coleman 3AA High-Tech LED mini-Lantern. Reviews I have seen look good for it, small and compact, uses AA batteries, 85 lumens isn't bad but runtime is only at 6 hours. I've seen the Energizer WeatherReady seems to be popular, can run on AA or D cells with much longer runtime.

Any other AA LED lanterns? Doesn't have to be extremely bright as I have a bigger lantern for that, but would like a secondary lantern to run on AA cells. Thank you!

EscapeVelocity

Enlightened
Cree 185 (Favourlight)
Cree 110 Warm (Favourlight)
Coleman Packaway 4AA
Coleman MicroPacker
Black Diamond Apollo

GreySave

Enlightened
Of the AA lanterns that I have I like the warm tint Favourlight. I consider the Energizer WeatherReady to be in a class of its own given its ability to run on two cell types. Of the two.....If you are looking at this from a preparedness perspective I would go with the Energizer for its ability to run on D cells and very long run times. If you are looking for a lantern that is packable or that you might use for more routine purposes such as camping you may prefer the easy on the eyes tint of the Favourlight. Or better yet, since neither of them is very expensive (WeatherReady at Walmart is about $17) purchase both. You will probably find that each suits a different need and you will be using both of them.

EscapeVelocity

Enlightened
The Energizer WeatherReady two florescent tube light is great as an emergency light. A good light for the vehicle trunk too.

I like the Cree 110 Warm Light as a camping lantern.

dss_777

Enlightened
My earlier comments deserved a follow-up: using plastic film to diffuse the light from the Cree 185 Lumen lantern improved it immensely. Smoothed the output to reduce the harsh glare and almost entirely eliminated the artifacts. Nice! I still think a higher outut version of the Cree 110 warm light would be the cat's meow!

:)

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
For build quality and tint, I highly recommend the Favourlight Warm White Mini Lantern.

It's on Amazon.

Google part FK133375 to find it easily.

Grizzly22

Newly Enlightened
For build quality and tint, I highly recommend the Favourlight Warm White Mini Lantern.

It's on Amazon.

Google part FK133375 to find it easily.

This was another consideration also, the battery runtime seems high, got any input on this?

I think as of now it's a toss up between the Coleman High-Tech and this Favouright 110 Warm.

dss_777

Enlightened
This was another consideration also, the battery runtime seems high, got any input on this?

I think as of now it's a toss up between the Coleman High-Tech and this Favouright 110 Warm.

Favourlight, hands down, mainly because of higher lumens rating, warm light color, smoothness of the light output, and high build quality. Even though they are not REAL bright, I'd be surprised if you were disappointed in this lantern. I love mine.

GreySave

Enlightened
I'd go with the Favourlight. I have larger Coleman lanterns and their durability has been lacking. Cannot speak to the smaller ones. The two Favourlites have been perfect.

Grizzly22

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies. I did end up purchasing the Favourlight Warm, it should arrive today in the mail.

Main reason for choosing this one is the battery compartment in the Coleman High-Tech lantern seemed very shady, from the pictures and reviews.

Thank you for the input and recommendations, I'll let you know how I like it after I play with it this weekend, after the wife scolds me on why I think I needed to buy yet another light.:thinking:

Grizzly22

Newly Enlightened
My initial thought of receiving this lantern was 'wow this is small!', even though I knew the dimensions ahead of time actually seeing it and holding it first hand I didn't think it would be this small, I like that. I can fit it into my pocket, although not too comfortably.

I like the brightness, It was brighter than I expected it to be after playing with it in a pitch black bedroom. The #1 thing that impresses me the most is when hung up, say in a tent, there is not a huge shadow underneath the lantern, this surprised me very much! Very even amount of light.

I could see myself getting a second one, we'll see how camping goes this spring/summer with it. The small size alone will be a big benefit packing wise.

Thanks for suggesting this.