Arc-AAA Premium vs Arc-AA and Arc-AA vs. E1e-HA

Status
Not open for further replies.

pahl

Enlightened
I have done some reading on the Arc and still have a couple of unanswered questions.

Is the Arc-AA LED like the Arc-AAA or the Arc-AAA Premium Edition?

Also how does light output and beam of the Arc-AA/Arc-AAA compare to the surefire E1e-HA?

I would love to see some beam shot of the Arc-AAA/Arc-AA next to the E1e if someone could post them or post a link to some. I could not seem to find any.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Re: Arc-AAA Premium vs Arc-AA and Arc-AA vs. E1e-H

this comparison would not make much sense since the Arc puts out about 3 lm while the E1e is about 15 lm ... a different class.
the ArcAA is a bit brighter and has a better (smoother) beam than the ArcAAA due to its bigger reflector.
bernhard

pahl

Enlightened

Is the Arc-AA not a "premium" like the Arc-AAA Premium addition?

I think I would like the Arc-AA for the longer runtime, but if the Arc-AAA premium has a "whiter" beam I would probly go with that one.

Just trying to decide what one to order /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Kiessling

Flashaholic

I am not exactly sure if the LED in the two is the same, but either way, the beams are not perfect at all, there are color changes and somewhat blue hotspots, because these are overdriven single 5mm LEDs. Those artifacts are a bit less prominent in the AA as I stated above.
Try a search about this in the Arc forum and you'll find plenty of info coming from persons much more knowledgeable than me ...
bernhard

dtsoll

Enlightened

Pahl,
I have 2 AA's and a AAA LE, as kiessling said the AA seems brighter because of the larger reflector. As far as the blueish hotspot, both the AA's and AAA LE I possess, have a bluish hotspot. If size matters to you the AAA would be better. But, if the scouting logo you are sporting means you will be camping the AA is brighter(imo) and stands on tailcap to light up the tent. You cannot go wrong with either so there goes any excuses, just order! You will love either one you get. Enjoy!!!! Doug /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

JCW

Newly Enlightened

Picked up two of the red forum AAA's today to replace what I was carrying on my keychains. Very nice lights and I can see where they are near indestructible. Not as bright as the green Streamlight but much nicer and it is white light. I really don't care for color leds for most uses other than simply to avoid tripping over something at night.

Pi_is_blue

Flashlight Enthusiast

IIRC, the Arc AA uses a SB2 ranked LED, so it is at least as bright as the Arc AAA-P. My Arc AA beats my AAA CPF ed., which also uses the same high binned LED.

Kiessling

Flashaholic

I think someone mentioned that the circuit of the AA is a bit different to that in the AAA so that the LED is pushed harder, but I am not sure where I heard this ... guess it must have been on CPF ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
bernhard

Dave Wright

Enlightened

The AA uses the regular emitter. It is as bright as the premium emitter but supposedly less white. I have regular and premium AAAs and 2 AAs. There are slight differences in the LED colors, but IMO they aren't significant. All are great flashlights.

I don't know if there are circuit differences between the AA and AAA. I think Peter has said that there aren't. My understanding is that the output difference is the batteries, not the circuit or emitter. The AAA/AA circuit is voltage-dependent. Feed it a lower voltage input and the LED will be dimmer. It is a semi-voltage regulated circuit. Under load the AAA's voltage drops much more than AA's. Presto - less light.

I find myself using the AA more than the AAA. The extra light makes a difference. I run lithium in it for even greater output difference and longer/consistent output. It turns on more smoothly than the AAA.

DumboRAT

Enlightened

From the ARC FAQs, direct, both AA and the AAA are quoted by to offer 3-lumen/20,000 MCD output.

Furthermore, it is again quoted that there is potential binning overlap of the 5mm Nichia:

AAA -
[ QUOTE ]

The Standard Arc-AAA uses a R or S flux and B2 or B3 tint. The Premium Arc-AAA uses a S flux with a B2 or B1 tint.

[/ QUOTE ]

AA -
[ QUOTE ]

The Arc-AA is available in one grade: Standard with a SB2 Nichia LED.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most differences cited, assuming that your AAA purchase hit the binning lottery and is a SB2, it will be just like the AA. Similarly, if you missed the lottery and got a SB2 AAA Premium, you will again notice this similarity.

The "brightness" differences between the two is often thus *_perceived_* subjective differences rather than true objective differences, and this is further complicated by variations even of the same "ranked/binned" LEDs -- and is additionally complicated by the "reflector" differences as well as potential battery usage/life differences (heavily favoring the AA, check their spec'ed run-times on the FAQ), and also can be affected by the "generational" differences in the AAA unit you're using in the comparison, as it has been continually improved.

All of this comes directly from the FAQ authored officially by Peter/ARC.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Allen
aka DumboRAT

Dave Wright

Enlightened

It is odd that Peter has not, at least where I've read, come out and stated that the AA is brighter than the AAA. At this point, however, the AA is unquestionably brighter. The difference has been observed and measured to different degrees, which may have to do with emitter or perception differences, but they are consistent and real. I have metered my AAA and AA samples (2 of each). When run on identical battery types the AA is about 50% brighter than the AAA.

Then there's the AA lithium advantage. The voltage of an alkaline falls off pretty steadily, which means that the light will dim in a pretty linear fashion until it is 1/2 to 1/3 of original brightness, at which point it will fall out of regulation. Lithiums will hold their voltage much better, giving you effectively a better regulated light. I haven't done a lithium runtest on my AA, but have metered the light on fresh and very old lithiums. The brightness is almost identical.

DumboRAT

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Dave Wright said:
It is odd that Peter has not, at least where I've read, come out and stated that the AA is brighter than the AAA.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree......

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The figures for the AAAs and the LSs are all written to be "independently verified" -- I wonder if perhaps this specific language, which does not appear for the AAs, is a part of this current mystery/debate?

Some older stuff, of which to note are your own excellent postings:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB31&Number=371773&Forum=UBB31&Words=AA&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=21&Limit=25&Old=3months&Main=366199&Search=true#Post371773

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB31&Number=353983&Forum=UBB31&Words=&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=3months&Main=352739&Search=true#Post353983 - note also tsg68's #353973 - 10/03/03 12:02 AM post and Roy's meter readings as well.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB31&Number=371248&Forum=UBB31&Words=AA&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=22&Limit=25&Old=3months&Main=371248&Search=true#Post371248

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB31&Number=366504&Forum=UBB31&Words=AA&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=26&Limit=25&Old=3months&Main=366413&Search=true#Post366504

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB31&Number=354885&Forum=UBB31&Words=AA&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=42&Limit=25&Old=3months&Main=354837&Search=true#Post354885

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB31&Number=302940&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=all&vc=1

Now, August 03 is as far as the search engine set for "the beginning" and set to pick out "AA" took me in the current "ARC" Forum -- can some of the old-timers please clue me/us in on when the original concept discussions took place?

Allen
aka DumboRAT

Moat

Enlightened

Mattman

Enlightened

You know, I've read that most people think the AA is brighter than the AAA, but I did a highly unscientific and entirely unreliable test and couldn't see that much of a difference. I aimed both lights at the same point on the wall and alternately covered and uncovered my AAA-P and AA and couldn't see any significant difference. Each time I thought that maybe the AA was brighter, but it was really close. If I can see it, I'm guessing it's a larger measurable difference, but not one that I find noticeable in day to day use. My personal summary for someone considering these lights is - don't expect any huge difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts