Terralux TLE-1f 50 lumens drop in in My fulton USGI angle head, Will it damage it?

vsanzbajo

Newly Enlightened
So what do you guys think? Could my 50 lumens led drop(terralux tle-1f) in will do any damage to my flash light? I used the Terralux drop in.
It is a perfect drop in. You can even use the bulb holder that came with the Fulton. I wish I could find another led upgrade, same size more lumens. But the question is would it get hot enough to damage the flash light? Is it too hot? This is the link for the led I am talking about.
http://www.batteryjunction.com/tle-1f.html

Thanks in advance.

EscapeVelocity

Enlightened
No it wont damage it.

Im fixin to do a test of a bunch of LED PR upgrade bulbs. Look in the Incandescent Forum under Sprucing up my MagLites.

I would say from what Ive already gathered....that you arent going to do much better than 1 watt in a standard PR bulb. There are some slightly larger MagLite style PR bulbs that give you 3 watts and about 140 lumens, however they usually heat up and drop output to about half in the first few minutes anyways.

I do have an ebay special coming that claims 90 Lumens, but I dont have it yet, so cant comment on it yet.

And of the 1 watters I have so far, the Craftsman Variable Power is my favorite for beam quality (at least in the C and D MagLites with the stock reflectors). It isnt any brighter than the NiteIze 1 watt Upgrade Bulb or the TerraLUX TLE-1F 1 watt Upgrade Bulb....all three give about the same output. Ive a sneaking suspicion that the NiteIze 1 watt and TerraLUX 1F are the exact same bulb.

Last edited:

vsanzbajo

Newly Enlightened
You sure, there will be no damage. This 60's Fulton GI flash light has a ton of sentimental value. I hope it does not get too hot.

EscapeVelocity

Enlightened
You sure, there will be no damage. This 60's Fulton GI flash light has a ton of sentimental value. I hope it does not get too hot.

Just let it run and monitor the temperature every so often to make sure and ease your mind. These 1 watters dont get too hot at all.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
With two batteries (about 6v) they draw under 200 mA. Be interesting to see if the LED puts out as much heat as the incan. The TerraLux is a decent bulb, I've used a few in D-cell lights.

EscapeVelocity

Enlightened
What he said. Running this off of 2 D cells isnt going to put strain on them and the current draw isnt that great. Not much to create heat there.

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have done it with a similar Lux III maglite dropin.
runs long with no hassle.
But what i did was to jam the dropin with copper sheeting instead of using the plastic retainer.