Olight S10 won't turn on with Trustfire flame 16340

Cappys29

Newly Enlightened
Forgive me if there is a really stupid reason why this isn't working because I am new to this, but I just got a Olight S10, and when I put a Trustfire Flame 16340 in it, it won't turn on. When I put a standard cr123 primary in it, it works. I have 8 brand new Trustfire Flames and I charged 4 of them and the other 4 I just took out of the pack. I tried all 8 of them and none of them work. The voltage in the ones that I charged are 4.191 and the voltage in the ones I didn't were around 3.8. I don't have any other light that takes these batteries so I can't try them in another light. I was under the impression I could use these cells in this light, am I wrong?

jay_rush

Unenlightened
make sure when u put the trustfires in, the tail cap is on REAL tight. i had that problem with some of my other batteries in my s10. if u only have one cr123 light try put 2 trustfires in an 18650 light, see if they work from that. but 90% those batteries just suck and u need other ones.

Racer

Enlightened
I'd start with a voltmeter if you have one just as a reality check. Those TF flame 16340's have done me OK overall, but I recently ordered a bunch of EagleTac's from GoingGear, so I'm excited to see the difference in run time.

Cappys29

Newly Enlightened
Jay Rush hit the nail on the head. I tightened it really tight, I mean REALLY tight, and it worked. As for the Trustfire flames, I always thought they were decent that's why I bought them. What battery do you recommend for this light? Nitecore RCR123? What are the EagleTac's you mentioned?

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eagletacs are fine batts...but I had one S10 that they were to fat to fit in properly. So I would not order more than one to be sure...AW brand I heard works/fits well. The Nitecores are only rated at 650 mha...many others are rated at 750 mha...

The Trustfires you have must not have the positive tip extended out as much as others....

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
The S10 has physical reverse polarity protection - two blank spots on the driver that protrude slightly past the +ve contact - this stops a battery in backwards from completing the circuit.

If the top of your cells are wide enough to make contact with these protrusions, then it won't function.

AW button top cells work flawlessly.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Be careful with having to tighten the tailcap really tight. There is a possibility the batteries are too long which some flashlights need the tailcap to be tightened down to make contact with the body to complete the circuit. If the battery is too long you may end up crushing something inside.
Jay Rush hit the nail on the head. I tightened it really tight, I mean REALLY tight, and it worked. As for the Trustfire flames, I always thought they were decent that's why I bought them. What battery do you recommend for this light? Nitecore RCR123? What are the EagleTac's you mentioned?

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
In mine I use either an AW RCR123 or an EagleTac 16340 and they both work perfectly well without having to tighten too much the tailcap. I think too that the problem is caused by the excessive diameter of the positive button or the fact that it is not sufficiently protruding.

Raiden

Newly Enlightened
I had the same problem w/ my S10. The Trustfire is too long causing the tailcap not to seat properly. For the time being, I'm using primaries till I get a set of AW's

Cappys29

Newly Enlightened
Thank you to everyone for the help. I'm gonna order some AW cells off of the marketplace once AW is shipping again.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Thank you to everyone for the help. I'm gonna order some AW cells off of the marketplace once AW is shipping again.

You can go to wonderlite in the CPFM too, same cells, but shipped from Florida instead of China, etc.

:D

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with the advice you got here. I have 2 new Trustfire 16340 RCR123 batteries. They are longer and the button is wider than AW protected and AW IMR 16340 batteries. They don't play well with my Sunwayman V11R. Trust AW, not Trustfire.