Anyone ever make a storage container in the rear of a D or C cell maglite? I had an

More Power Please

Newly Enlightened
old knife that had a screw off rear container that held matches, flint etc.

I stumbled upon an old thread where someone was selling 1 and 2 cell extensions
for the C and D cell maglites so it got me thinking.

So has anyone ever made a rear storage container? If not, could it be done?

Thanks

tam17

Enlightened
Yeah, those survival knives were big when I was a kid. I've made a storage container inside modded but fully operational Mag Solitaire. I'm keeping spare button cells inside. No joke :cool:

Cheers

SherlockOhms

Newly Enlightened
It would be super easy to take a 3D maglite, change the bulb to a 2D version and then use a AA to D cell adapter as dummy cell and storage, just solder a piece of wire from the plus to the minus of the adapter.

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a 5D cell once that I modded a section of 1" PVC with a divider. The divider was the negative contact, I cut a groove in the PVC from the divider to the tail and epoxied a metal ring at the base running a wire from the ring to divider. The light ran from 3-C cells with a 1.4A AMC based driver and had enough room to "store" a backup set of cells in the bottom half.
Sorry, it was last year and I didn't do Pics.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd just make a metallic (conductive) container the size of a D cell (and put shrink tubing on the exterior if the light had a rear switch). Great idea. If they made AA to D adapters where we can put 2 AA's in series in just the one adapter, we could do use that on just any D flashlight :devil:

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can actually buy a flashlight tube with a screw on lid for storage,those survival type outlets sell them and they also sell ones that float.

Back to the op,yes i agree it would be dead easy to make something up.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yo dog, I heard you liked flashlights, so I put a flashlight in yo' flashlight, so you can look while you look.

LOL

Not too far from the truth... I'll be making a flashlight lanyard with a flashlight cordlock on it :D That would be solution #2

radkoch

Newly Enlightened
I wonder if a 5 cell mag light modded for 18650 batteries would be a good candidate. You'd hve quite a bit of extra room. A little overkill I guess but it would serve to purposes

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if a 5 cell mag light modded for 18650 batteries would be a good candidate. You'd hve quite a bit of extra room. A little overkill I guess but it would serve to purposes

That would be like a container / flashlight rather than the other way around, LOL. Plenty of room for spares, spare flashlight, spare cells for the spare flashlight and maybe even a third flashlight. Of course, that's definitely putting all your eggs in one basket, but with extra water proofing...

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
That would be like a container / flashlight rather than the other way around, LOL. Plenty of room for spares, spare flashlight, spare cells for the spare flashlight and maybe even a third flashlight. Of course, that's definitely putting all your eggs in one basket, but with extra water proofing...

And there's sure to be a fauxton on the landyard.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
And there's sure to be a fauxton on the landyard.

That goes without saying. Same for the titanium trit locator on the lanyard and trits/reflective tape on the flashlights indise, GITD o-rings and lanyard, etc. Sound like something I'm about to make...

More Power Please

Newly Enlightened
After doing some searches I came up with the linked thread and added the picture of the battery extension from another member.
So can a battery extension be made that has a solid bottom and then have one of the self adhesive electrical contacts that is depicted in link added to the bottom of the solid side of the battery extension to close the circuit?

This would provide a water tight storage compartment imune from any battery leakage.
The rear factory spring could be eliminated and by simply unscrewing the extension the light can be returned to its orginal configuration.

Heck maybe just a new tailcap that allows for the threading of accessories would make it even easier

I hear you on the light going down if you need to access the container.
20i8ly.jpg

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...o-use-18650-(1D-2D-and-3D-sizes)-550-Paracord

Last edited:

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
After doing some searches I came up with the linked thread and added the picture of the battery extension from another member.
So can a battery extension be made that has a solid bottom and then have one of the self adhesive electrical contacts that is depicted in link added to the bottom of the solid side of the battery extension to close the circuit?

This would provide a water tight storage compartment imune from any battery leakage.
The rear factory spring could be eliminated and by simply unscrewing the extension the light can be returned to its orginal configuration.

Heck maybe just a new tailcap that allows for the threading of accessories would make it even easier

I hear you on the light going down if you need to access the container.
20i8ly.jpg

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...o-use-18650-(1D-2D-and-3D-sizes)-550-Paracord

Closed container / extension is very doable: if your flashlight has a sideswitch, all you need is to make sure your extension conducts the current from the negative side of the last battery to the tube. For a rear switch, you'd need to insulate the container cover from the last battery and place a wire / spring that would redirect the current straight to the tailcap switch or to the other end of the container, while making sure you don't short to the tube. Simple enough if you have basic machining tools and skills, but you'd want to do it in a way where the spring stays in place if you want it to be reversible in a matter of seconds.