Yi Light AK21 Review

firelord777

Enlightened
Sometimes, I really wonder how I lived for years without high end flashlights. It literally shocks me. It's not that I am dependant on them, but the sheer joy of having something that blasts the dark with light.
Today, we have here a new light from Yi Light. I bet many of you are saying, who the heck is Yi Light? Personally, I would have gone with maybe Yo light, get it, yo' light? I'm not much of a comedian…
Anyways, they are the new "brand on the block". They have been around since 2006, though the flashlight department recently was founded. The company basically made auto parts, plastic products, and now, well, flashlights. Maybe it was an attempt to provide light to mechanics or something but accidently decided to dive in the flashlight world. Whatever the case, they sent me a sample of the AK21. Check it out:
6i70BBJ.jpg

LMXS1NS.jpg

zLhlbDL.jpg

The AK21 has some familiar marketing designs as Fenix, one of the aspects that impressed me the most. The AK21 is quite versatile, right off the bat I can tell you that you can put on various diffusers, color filters, remote pressure thingies, and even set the light securely onto a tripod. Sold separately of course...
Here are some more pictures:
gADr18u.jpg

piAQqxG.jpg

oJeHNUF.jpg

WGf63R4.jpg

04riEel.jpg

yImi7Xp.jpg

9d6rhET.jpg

HdiqwEQ.jpg

gAcyaO5.jpg

B8mKIfQ.jpg

7x6oUEn.jpg

xhTs7wA.jpg

1DX8Uyd.jpg

8UsBdo0.jpg

bVhnWU4.jpg

sTRNB2u.jpg

uSvq6f0.jpg

iAgV9Es.jpg

CoJZnj2.jpg

q9YV3Bl.jpg

hOPGAla.jpg

hQVZZyc.jpg

EB18wEP.jpg

iBUcILa.jpg

NaIZbFf.jpg

5KFH45t.jpg

K6l7BKV.jpg

fQqJc6I.jpg

4soAeSD.jpg

ZAKobgv.jpg

pz0N60i.jpg

eILgDG7.jpg

MqHvGpd.jpg

HDH9qwh.jpg

9e6KylV.jpg

Vl1MnKF.jpg

AOODA8r.jpg

EZu9qsZ.jpg

White Wall Beamshots:
All reduced exposures are in equal increments, but first, some dramatic pictures to build suspense…
4GBf1vI.jpg

hHAM003.jpg

9zQU67M.jpg

Wn87UoH.jpg

reLV9CL.jpg

The four competitors are:
1. Yi Light AK21
2. Nitefighter F30C
3. Crelant V6CS (Full review coming up)
4. Fenix LD41
iZrMiER.jpg

CQjD3uh.jpg

RydUarT.jpg

fEoMSI7.jpg

j9XDbGx.jpg

9oQ2lJg.jpg

Before we start the white wall beamshots, let's take a look at the three output levels of the AK21. The AK21 has PWM on low and mid, but it is current controlled on high,
Low:
MCXywJ3.jpg

Mid:
AkdOXXB.jpg

High:
oJriMcE.jpg

Now we start the competition, starting with the AK21. You already saw the high mode, the rest are reduced exposures:
HHo3qzi.jpg

scLETrY.jpg

Nitefighter F30C
Ci2r3UD.jpg

R4iUeI2.jpg

MihFWdu.jpg

ai03vNu.jpg

Crelant V6CS:
0urZwRe.jpg

fAIWhX4.jpg

8LQCW1c.jpg

N7U0M3o.jpg

Fenix LD41:
zRxtSYF.jpg

7CSshUZ.jpg

MQidlUp.jpg

loBOnU8.jpg

Swim Class
HEY!!! That's not how you do the breast stroke you dumb flashlight!!! You call yourself fit for human use? You're going to have to replace your o-rings with some flotation rings if you wanna live!!! Plan on ending up stuck on the ocean floor forever?
All joking aside (again, I'm a bad joker), the AK21 passed the real test with flying colors. It is confirmed waterproof, though I would heed caution SCUBA diving with it.
nwUh5Bg.jpg

Gcwu467.jpg

MGjcW3r.jpg

FaI4Wlb.jpg

KqqKTZE.jpg

KrzC28w.jpg

Am4NBjN.jpg

Everything About the AK21:
The AK21 incorporates a magnetic ring that revolves around the neck of the head. It is exactly 180 degrees. The three main modes: low, mid, and high, are all within a 90 degree turn of the ring. Strobe is farther, at a full 180 degree twist or 90 degrees from high. Thankfully, Yi Light has these dots to tell you which mode you're in, so you don't have to guess where you are. An advantage of this is that you can set the mode you want the light to turn on from, before you even turn it off.
This ring system is also much smoother and easier to twist than the Fenix TA21, which requires almost 80% of your total hand muscles if you want to turn it one handedly. The AK21 can very easily be used by one hand, almost effortlessly.
Now, the ring does produce some noise in the forms of clicks whenever you switch modes, which may be a disturbance with those that have a "tactical" mindset.
The stainless steel crenulated bezel on the light can simply be unscrewed off, yet, Yi Light managed to design it so that when you put it back on, it stays on without play. Furthermore, removing the bezel doesn't affect the flashlight performance wise, so you can choose to keep it bezel free without worrying about it, it doesn't even affect waterproofing in anyway.
One nitpick with the AK21 is that to me, it sometimes appears slightly underdriven compared to other lights I have. It's still more than bright enough, but if you already have a few lights in this class, it may not seem impressive. The tint also leans onto the neutral side, so on my sample it seems a bit yellow compared to the cool white tint of my other lights.
No matter how I try, I cannot get the light to tailstand on its own. The grip ring is metal and does a fantastic job at holding the light. Seriously, it's by far the most comfortable grip ring design yet, for me, even though in the pictures it may seem a bit strange and uneven. Trust me, don't worry about it, you'll learn to love it.
The clip is very strong and secure. No problems here.
If you would like to check out Yi Light, here is their site:
Link removed per this policy.
As always, if you have any questions and requests, I would be happy to help you out, just post it here or shoot me a PM,
Cheers,
Alain

Last edited by a moderator:

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review! I'm working on one for Yi-Light as well, but it's not a magnetic ring light. Now that I see they have this, I'm pretty impressed!

DTF

Enlightened
No mention in this review about the 1/4"-20 mounting hole in the grip ring. This is a handy feature, especially for photographers, since this is standard mounting for ball heads, tripods, etc.

firelord777

Enlightened
Thanks for the review! I'm working on one for Yi-Light as well, but it's not a magnetic ring light. Now that I see they have this, I'm pretty impressed!

You're welcome bud:)

Which one did they send you? I know they have an AK11, which is kind of like this one, and an AK47, and XM-L thrower?

Cheers

firelord777

Enlightened
No mention in this review about the 1/4"-20 mounting hole in the grip ring. This is a handy feature, especially for photographers, since this is standard mounting for ball heads, tripods, etc.

I'm sure I mentioned it, but I'll get some pictures up for you in a while, I'm working on another review that I'm a bit behind schedule:)

arnstein

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the nice post. Those photos must have been a lot of work!

Some of your photos indicate a strong green tint coming out of the light under review. Some of the "white wall" shots appear to be especially green. Is this a green flashlight?

firelord777

Enlightened
Thanks for the nice post. Those photos must have been a lot of work!

Some of your photos indicate a strong green tint coming out of the light under review. Some of the "white wall" shots appear to be especially green. Is this a green flashlight?

Don't worry about it bud, anytime:)

The AK21 does seem a bit green, I haven't noticed that. My sample only has a slight greenish-yellowish tint around the hotspot. It's probably not for those that are really picky for tints. Other than that, seems white to me.

LED tints can vary from LED to LED, just a heads up:) For example, some people reported that the Fenix TK35 had a horrible green tint, while others proved theirs was cool white. It's unfortunate it's like this, because really what is happening is that we go through something we call a "tint lottery". Just have to hope yours is white:D

Some brands DO pay extra to have their tints hand picked, so they minimize their losses and consumer dissatisfaction. Being a new company, at the moment my gut tells me Yi Light does not do this.

If you have any more questions I would be glad to help,

Cheers

firelord777

Enlightened
Scratch that, I just came back and double checked. The AK21 has a cool white tint, no green or anything.

Sorry about the confusion:)

Dubois

Enlightened
In a couple of your photos your cells seem to be pretty scuffed up - it wasn't this light that was responsible, was it?

firelord777

Enlightened
In a couple of your photos your cells seem to be pretty scuffed up - it wasn't this light that was responsible, was it?

I looked and couldn't find anything out of the ordinary. Could you please specify around which parts of the review?

Cheers

firelord777

Enlightened
Not quite sure how to do this without linking, but your images :

http://i.imgur.com/9oQ2lJg.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/q9YV3Bl.jpg

show cells that, imho, need some new shrink wrap.

OH!!! I was under the impression that you were referring to the pixels of the pictures themselves!

It will probably come as a surprise, but I don't own any brand name 18650s. Everything I have is salvaged from old laptop battery packs. Trust me, the light didn't do anything:D

Cheers

DTF

Enlightened
Thanks for the pics showing the light on a tripod. Looking hard, I see that you did mention that it could be attached to a tripod. My brain was only looking for the 1/4"-20 designation. This is a very handy feature that I would like to see on more flashlights. Will likely pick one of these up, just because of this.

DTF

Enlightened
Any US distributor for the Yi Lights? Love the way they mention the 1/4"-20 mounting hole on the Yi webpage: "8. Tactical gear with fixed tapping hole to put on 1/4 holder." Okay.....

Stephen Chou

Newly Enlightened
looks great!

great! i notice YILIGHT website and AK47 also looks good, how about the price?