Inova X-1

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Just received a couple from a kind CPF friend, tore one open and man! Whatta cool beam! "Looks like the moon, Daddy", my daughter commented when shone on the ceiling.

Although my other keychains (Arc AAA, Arc AA - also from the kind friend - CMG Infinity Ultra, Dorcy AAA, and Swisslight II) are bright in their own way, they all have a spread out beam and the Inova X-1 seems to grab ALL the light and send it straight forward in a not-too-tight but perfectly circular spot that lights up everything inside it very well.

Too lazy to do beamshots tonight (or ever, probably), but just wanted to comment whatta cool beam and light this was. I never would have bought one myself so I would never would have experienced it, Very nice.

Thanks Britt!!!

Frenchyled

Flashaholic*
I have order one X1 at oolights.com (UK) and received it yesterday. I agree with you Mr Bulk, I haven't seen a beam like this with no other led flashlight,You can light an object without disturbing your wife when it sleeps /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was just about to ask.. What is your wife? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
HEY SASHA, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif whats your take on this "it" concept? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banned2.gif

If I were you guy`s I`d be running like hell right about now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if these are moddable? A UV X-1 would be neat. Bright and directed uv just where you need it..

Frenchyled

Flashaholic*
Here it's a beamshot of my X1, at 3 ft. I have a small particle into the lens of mine, just a black hole on the right of the pict !
For all wifes, it's a romantic moon /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Isn't it ?

Moon-X1.jpg

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I just shone mine onto a wall about 5 feet away, and there's a dark spot or crescent right near the edge in the beam of mine too. It's not quite as prominent as the one in FrenchyLed's picture, but it's quite visible and it's of the same shape.
Must be something that's common to all X1s.

Oh, my page about the X1 is right here if you're interested.

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast
I could be wrong, but I think that the slightly darker area seen there is mainly due to slight misalignment with the LED's die and the optics. Not really Inova's fault. Didn't think that mine had it, but upon (very) close inspection, I see that there is a very slightly dimmer bit on one edge of the circle.
Doesn't bother me though, still a really cool beam. Should see it in the fog! Very much like the cartoon-style conical beam, but not the yellowy colour used there, nice pure white.

Larry1582

Enlightened
This may have been discussed before, but can the X1 run on a AA lithium battery? Would it be any brighter?

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll have mine shortly to try that out on, Except in the case of overdriven direct drive lights there shouldn't be any problem with using a lithium AA in it. But it is not likely to be any brighter as it's got circuitry to manage the current, so the lithium will just last a little longer.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
There *is* an increase in brightness (83,000mcd to 93,000mcd), but it's really not all that dramatic or noticeable with the unaided eye. The brightness difference is something you would see on a meter, but not with the eye.

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've purchased 8 of these lights and none have had the dark spot or crescent described here. The last one I purchased was more bluish than the others.

However, 6 out of the 8 had a "whisker" or fiber on the inside face of the lens. It's annoying but I haven't seen it show up in the beamspot.

BC

Geode

Enlightened
This may have been answered elsewhere, but would one of you X-1 owners be kind enough to tell us about what the diamater of the beam's circle is at 6 ft away? I am trying to get some idea of what this light is like.

Thanks in advance.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
These measurements are a bit unscientific, but they're close. I don't have a measuring tape handy, so I measured off 6 feet on my floor with a 12" ruler.

The X1 produces a white circle approximately 13" in diameter at approximately 6 feet - give or take a couple inches on that 6 foot measurement. The blue fringe at the perimeter of the white circle is approximately 1/2" wide at its widest.