Acceptable batteries for DD MT-G2 P60 drop-in?

Studey

Newly Enlightened
I've got a P60 drop in coming from vinh with a MT-G2 in direct drive. I'm wonddering what range of batteries I should be able to run with it?

I know the forward voltage of the LED is 6V. Vinh said the range is 6V-8.4V for the drop in. With two protected LiCo 18650s, he was measuring the drop in at 6.5A.

I'm wondering if 2x 18500s would be acceptable, and if so, would they need to be protected LiCos? From what I understand, IMRs would provide too much power for the light running in direct drive.

Any help I can get in this regard would be much appreciated!

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMR cells should be fine in all honesty. Just be mindful of the heat your light is generating (as you should be watching anyways) and you'll be totally fine I think.

However, if you're not necessarily the type to keep watching your cells' voltage levels (I know I do after each patrol) then protected may be the way to go just to avoid damaging your cells and not having to buy more because maybe you went too low with the unprotected IMRs.

2x 18500s should be fine (just like 2x 18650s), but, of course, you'll get lower capacity in the 18500s because they don't have the size advantage I suppose.