Pls Help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

waion

Newly Enlightened
I've bought an ARC AAA Standard today and it operates normally at the beginning. However, it did not operate an hour ago at all. When I checked the battery, I found the positive terminal had been compressed hard. Maybe it is due to the cap-twisting action which compressed it when I turned it on. The flashlight just doesn't work even I replaced the battery with a new one...what can I do now? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that sometimes the foam ring that is designed to stop the battery from rattling can get pinched or compresses in a way that keeps the battery from making a good connection. I think it's unlikely (though not impossible) that you damaged the head. You can be sure by holding a known good battery to the + connection and using a bit of wire or something to make the ground connection. and see if you can get it to light up.

I've had several occasions where I went to turn my AAA on and it refused. In each case it was enough to back the head out a few turns to get the wrinkles out of it's foam insert and then tightened it back up and it has worked fine.

Worse comes to worse you can actually carefully peal off the foam ring. Some people around here do that. The battery will rattle but it won't otherwise affect the light. You can always glue it back on later if you want to.

But run your head without any of the rest of the hardware first just to be sure that it isn't damaged in any way.

waion

Newly Enlightened
Thank you very much for your reply, James.
I have tried your suggested method (using a wire for ground connection) but it still doesn't turn on again. I'm going back to the retail shop tomorrow for a replacement...hope that they will replace it for me. (I live in Hong Kong)

JSWrightOC

Enlightened
If you do wind up removing the foam retainer ring (I had a flickering problem, which I managed to fix by modifying the crimp) just email the guys at Arc and they'll send you new ones. I asked for one, and Merri sent me three! Kudos to Arc!!

I also had a separate issue that wound up being the negative battery contact (in the bottom of the tube) being fouled...a little rubbing alcohol and a Q-tip fixed that.

You *might* have damaged the head (broken loose the crimp) which can be field repairable. This is kinda what happened to mine (after fixing it I have had no problems). If you have any more questions, let us know! Ask, and ye shall receive. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

waion

Newly Enlightened
Thank you very much, JSWrightOC. I have got a replacement from the dealer today as they can't fix it for me. However, the brightness of the replaced new one is far away from being as bright as the first one...i'm very disappointed. When I bought the first one, I compared it with my princeton keychain led and found it was much much brighter. But the replaced one I got this morning is only a little bit brighter than the princeton. I can't believe in such a big difference in light output between the two ARC AAA...even now...

Status
Not open for further replies.