E-bay HID Flashlight

bluegrod

Newly Enlightened
I have a 45w/65w/85w bulb/ballast combo out of one of the e-bay HID flashlights that I want to play around with and was wondering if someone could tell me how to power this thing up. If you are familiar with this light you know at the base of the unit it has two rings and a center conductor. I tried playing around with it and could not produce anything more than a low level flicker. So what I need is someone to explain to me how to power this thing up. I plan on using a seperate power source and not the battery that is normally used to power this light and I intend on soldering leads onto all 3 conductors at the base of the unit I just need to know what each one goes to. I looked on the battery and that was no help in determining what all three conductors do. I also do not plan on using the two lower wattages and just plan on using it at high power all the time so if anyone can help me it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a 45w/65w/85w bulb/ballast combo out of one of the e-bay HID flashlights that I want to play around with and was wondering if someone could tell me how to power this thing up. If you are familiar with this light you know at the base of the unit it has two rings and a center conductor. I tried playing around with it and could not produce anything more than a low level flicker.

There should be control gear (Black boxes or circuit boards) between the battery and the light. Have you kept them as they were, or are you trying to start it with just a wire between the bulb and your power source?

So what I need is someone to explain to me how to power this thing up.

What you do is follow the leads inside the light and see where they went. Where did the negative side of the battery connect to? Where did the positives go? Then you hook up your new stuff the same way.

I plan on using a seperate power source and not the battery that is normally used to power this light and I intend on soldering leads onto all 3 conductors at the base of the unit I just need to know what each one goes to.

So get in there and poke around.

I looked on the battery and that was no help in determining what all three conductors do. I also do not plan on using the two lower wattages and just plan on using it at high power all the time so if anyone can help me it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Usually HIDs are either on or off, not variable. Are you quite sure this is really HID?

Cereal_Killer

Enlightened
What batteries did the flashlight originally take and did they just go directly in the light or do you put them in some sort of holder or pack first?