SF Fury run time test?

gradio

Newly Enlightened
This Saturday I'm going to put in a a set of SF CR123A batteries in my Fury and check its high run time.
Is it bad for the light to keep it on till the batteries are exhausted?

I'm sure I'm only getting a little more than half hour of intermittent usage at work using high mode, hence the need to find out.
If its not good to turn it on and leave it that way, what would be suggested - maybe 10-15 minutes and then let it cool maybe 10 minutes or so and then back on for a bit? or does it not matter?

Need to find out if the light isn't working correctly, or, and I hope, the SF CR123A cells I got are maybe not up to standards.
I'm stumped because the batteries seem fine in my other CR123A lights. But at the same time I hope there isn't something wrong with my Fury.
If it's the batteries, then I'll get a fresh lot of them, but that will be a not so easy thing as last month I bought a bunch of these SF CR123A's. Maybe I got some that's been sitting shelved for a few years or so.... I dunno. Just doesn't seem right. Checking only a dozen of them out of the box (Dz's) I'm getting 3.25 to 3.26 volts.
If I can't get an hour run time, then I'll probably take another light to work (in addition to my edc) to replace the Fury. But I like its size and brightness that I use for certain checks every morning at work when its dark out.

add - 66 views and no opinions... guess I'll just run it and time it. And since I also just got a EA4 and was impressed checking it out last night, might just order another to keep/use at work and pull the Fury from work duty, then it wouldn't matter.

Last edited:

skeeterbait

Newly Enlightened
We recently has a storm where a large dead pine tree broke and went thru the roof of a house, literally cut the roof nearly in half. Outside temp was around 50 degrees and drizzling rain. Home owner called someone to clear the roof and tarp it and of course he showed up with one light and dead batteries. I stood on the ground and lit the roof for him with a Fury starting with a fresh set of Surefire CR123a. The light ran continuously for an hour and 25 minutes and was still fairly bright but had dimmed considerably when I changed the set of batts and continued on. It got warm but not uncomfortable. I believe it could have run another 20 minutes on that first set but it wasn't getting the job done. Point is Surefire are regulated to run continuously at their max level driven, unlike many exotic flashlights.

But with that said, it is a pair of lithium batteries run in series. It is unlikely, but if you run a pair of batteries to complete exhaustion in series, there is a chance that one batt completely discharges before the other due to differences in internal resistance, and then receives a reverse charge from the other batt, a potentially dangerous situation. I will not let a lithium series light go completely dark because of this.

Last edited:

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened
+1 When my CR123s get low in a multi-cell light, I remove them and put them one at a time into single cell lights for exhaustion. Malkoff M31s seem to do the trick really well.

gradio

Newly Enlightened
Tested today - high mode (with a fresh pair of SF batteries bought today 12-pack)
15 minutes on, then 15 minutes off
After the 3rd run (45 minutes run time), into the fridge it went. Hot hot hot
4th run it made the hour high mode but didn't seem near as bright, but didn't dim to the low lumen mode.

Conclusion - either I had a sub par battery in the first pair or a co-worker been messing with my Fury unknown to me. (Been times I left the shop with Fury left on my desk). I knew it had to get over a half hour high mode use or something was wrong with my Fury, or batteries. Co-worker came to mind today too.

All is well and maybe I'll take it back to work for work duty, or check out some of the other new flashlights I received the other day. In addition to my edc, I like to have a bigger light on hand for work.

Last edited:

Paladin

Enlightened

or a co-worker been messing with my Fury unknown to me. (Been times I left the shop with Fury left on my desk).

Repeat after me, "Never leave your light where someone else can play with it, use it, or walk off with it!"

Paladin

cubebike

Enlightened
I had my Fury bored to take 18650 battery. I tested mine Fury with Panasonic 3100 mah for about 2 hours with reasonable regulated output. However , the output dropped significantly in a sudden! I changed to fresh 18650 battery and tested the voltage afterward. The reading was 3.3V and I believe the fury driver would run out regulation very close the 3.3v

gradio

Newly Enlightened
Repeat after me, "Never leave your light where someone else can play with it, use it, or walk off with it!"

Paladin

"Never leave your light where someone else can play with it, use it, or walk off with it!"

gradio

Newly Enlightened
I had my Fury bored to take 18650 battery. I tested mine Fury with Panasonic 3100 mah for about 2 hours with reasonable regulated output. However , the output dropped significantly in a sudden! I changed to fresh 18650 battery and tested the voltage afterward. The reading was 3.3V and I believe the fury driver would run out regulation very close the 3.3v

After reading your reply - I should of taken battery voltage readings during the cool down periods and after the run test.
Maybe if I get in the mood again to sacrifice another set of batteries in the future, I'll hope to remember too.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have thought about boring my Fury for 18650. I also wonder: while 18650s today have twice and slightly more mAh than a 17670, it should mean not only twice total runtime, but also twice regulated time?

cubebike

Enlightened
I have thought about boring my Fury for 18650. I also wonder: while 18650s today have twice and slightly more mAh than a 17670, it should mean not only twice total runtime, but also twice regulated time?
I am not very familiar with battery info. However, the regulation of Fury should be around 3.3v and the 18650 cell 3100 or 3400 mah cell capacity was measured down to 2.7V. I think the Fury driver could not fully utilize all the capacity of such cell! Correct me if I was wrong. Tks