FourSevens        
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Real life Sci-fi 2013

Default Real life Sci-fi

+

Big day in the world of Asteroids & Meteorites*,, seems like Russia is quite the hotspot.
    Who needs sci-fi movies when there's real video & sound

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8dA2A_df0w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90Omh7_I8vI

..more to come

*Planetesimals
    Last edited by orbital; 10-29-2014 at 05:50 AM. Reason: reword title

Default Re: (*) Planetesimal'fest

the second video is the one to watch! Incredible! ....and a bit too close for comfort, if you ask me!
    Watching the video, I couldn't help but wonder... why are so many people taking movies of their commute to work?? What normally happens on their drive that they want to capture?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve K View Post
    Watching the video, I couldn't help but wonder... why are so many people taking movies of their commute to work?? What normally happens on their drive that they want to capture?
    A great many Russians use windshield mounted "dash cams" - small automated DVRs otherwise known as blackboxes to record everything that goes on in front of and sometimes also behind their vehicles. Many of these units include GPS mapping functions as well as G-sensors that will react on impact to record the video, sound and GPS information during an accident even if power is lost to the camera. The reasons for their popularity are multifold but the primary reason is for self protection. The average Russian motorist has to contend with often corrupt police, thugs, drunks, insurance scammers and incredibly dangerous road conditions where many drivers disobey speed limits and other safety laws. As a result of embracing this technology, numerous astonishing events and horrific traffic accidents get captured on video and there are whole websites and a YouTube channel dedicated to them.

Here are a few links that can enlighten you on the subject.

http://www.animalnewyork.com/2012/russian-dashcam/

http://jalopnik.com/tag/russian-dash-cams

http://www.rferl.org/content/dash-ca.../24780355.html
    Last edited by EZO; 02-15-2013 at 05:22 PM. Reason: typos

oh.. this explains where Tosh.0 gets some of his material...

to be honest, I've considered getting a little GoPro camera for the bike I commute on. Too many drivers that either drive while sleeping or don't respond well to any change in routine traffic. And it will be handy for the next meteroite that screams across the local cornfields!!

I'm not so sure that the next big meteor will streak across local American skies. Between this latest event in Russia and the Tunguska explosion I'm starting to wonder if Russia just attracts large meteors in the same way that trailer parks in the US are said to attract tornadoes.
    Last edited by EZO; 02-15-2013 at 12:11 PM.

Here is a video with excellent audio of the sonic booms (which caused the bulk of the damage). If you have good audio on your computer, crank it up!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8dA2A_df0w

Default Re: Planetesimal'fest

It seems the meteor (now a meteorite) likely ended up in a lake east of Moscow. I wonder if there will be an attempt to recover it, as it could be among the largest on record depending on what it weighs in at.

"A circular hole in the ice of Chebarkul Lake where a
    meteor reportedly struck the lake near Chelyabinsk,
    about 1500 kilometers (930 miles) east of Moscow,
    Russia, Friday, Feb. 15, 2013.
    "

Last edited by EZO; 02-15-2013 at 05:19 PM.

two small boys were transported to earth in a meteorite!!?? That's incredible!

Flashaholic*

according to Soviet, er, Russian news channels, the meteor damage exceeds 1 billion rubles with over 1200 injured. However the Russians did not lose their humor. There are at least a couple Photomontage showing Vladimir Putin, with upper body bare, riding on the main smoke trail of meteor, or another showing Medvedev standing on a monument with his hand in his jacket Napoleon-style and a piece of the meteor knocks his Napoleon-style hat off showing a clowns hat underneath. etc. I think that the Photomontage have been shrunk enough to paste:

edit: Ooops, Greta does not want Russian links posted on CPF. I removed those. Hopefully the German link of the Russian Photomontage of Putin is OK.
    Last edited by moldyoldy; 02-15-2013 at 02:40 PM. Reason: remove Russian link

Last edited by DAN92; 02-15-2013 at 02:57 PM.

Flashaholic "Give me more lumens!" - Flashlight Addict -

two small boys were transported to earth in a meteorite!!?? That's incredible!
    And they have amazing superpowers here in earth's gravity and solar radiation!
    Last edited by EZO; 02-15-2013 at 05:25 PM.

The other joke circulating the web goes like this:

"Yeah, it was supposed to arrive December 21, 2012, but the Russian Postal Service..."

Default Re: Real life Sci-fi 2013

"Estimates of the meteor’s size varied considerably." (New York Times) The Russian Academy of Sciences claims the object weighed ten tons and was around three meters in diameter. The U.S. National Aeronautics and Space Administration estimated that the object was about 15 meters (49 ft) in diameter and had a mass of several thousand tons. Three impact sites were found. Two were in an area near Chebarkul Lake and the other is some 80 kilometres (50 miles) further to the northwest, near the town of Zlatoust. In Kazakhstan, emergency officials said they were looking for two possible unidentified objects that may have landed in Aktobe Province, Kazakhstan, adjacent to the affected Russian regions. There is disagreement and some confusion about the possible size and weights of the meteorites that made impact. One American scientist claims the object(s) that hit the ground were no larger than a loaf of bread while others point out that there appear to be at least two impact craters twenty or more feet in diameter and that larger meteorites may have survived intact. It is believed the meteor was made of an extremely hard material, possibly iron. The energy released from impacts were big enough to register as seismic events but some sources claim the meteor disintegrated completely. It will probably take some time for all the facts to sort themselves out.

By "coincidence" a rather large shooting star was captured on a dash cam video in the San Francisco area at 7:44PM 2/15/2013.
    The person who posted it said he was driving south on I-280 toward the peninsula.
    Perhaps we are experiencing a "meteor shower" of larger rocks than usually seen?

Last edited by EZO; 02-17-2013 at 08:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by EZO View Post
    I'm not so sure that the next big meteor will streak across local American skies. Between this latest event in Russia and the Tunguska explosion I'm starting to wonder if Russia just attracts large meteors in the same way that trailer parks in the US are said to attract tornadoes.
    ^

The Soviet scientists lab experiment that proved the Tunguska event was above ground, should have gotten an extra day off,
    not to mention possibly a Nobel Prize, since nowadays you don't actually have to do anything to get one..

below: While hiking along some railroad tracks in Colorado about 20 years ago,
    I spotted this ,,, its heavy and clearly metallic.
    It's origin is still a bit of a mystery

Last edited by orbital; 02-16-2013 at 08:03 AM. Reason: add

Quote Originally Posted by orbital View Post
    ^

below: While hiking along some railroad tracks in Colorado about 20 years ago,
    I spotted this ,,, its heavy and clearly metallic.
    It's origin is still a bit of a mystery
    That's a really cool object Orbital. If it is a meteorite it could be quite valuable as a collectible. If you take it to a local university science department you could probably have it definitively identified. It could be just about anything though, such as a discarded piece of industrial slag or an old locomotive clinker.

Since you found it along railroad tracks, a clinker seems the most likely explanation. "A clinker is a piece of solid matter formed in a coal fueled firebox when the firebed melts from its own heat and forms into a gooey mass on top of the firebed and prevents the free flow of air through the fire especially under poor combustion conditions or with poor quality fuel thus reducing the amount of heat the fireman can get out of the fire. Clinkers must be disposed of at regular intervals during its duty if a locomotive is to continue to produce sufficient steam to enable it to maintain a reasonable rate of work. Sometimes this had to be done during a single trip where poor coal was used."

Edit: The term "clinker" comes from the fact that these metallic blobs, when cooled, would make a clinking sound when they'd hit each other or the shovel during clean out of the firebox.

Last edited by EZO; 02-16-2013 at 05:25 PM. Reason: added info

If it's either a meteorite or a piece of bona fide American railroad history, those are both pretty cool possibilities. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by LEDAdd1ct View Post
    If it's either a meteorite or a piece of bona fide American railroad history, those are both pretty cool possibilities. :-)
    Very true! Only one is far more common than the other. I would certainly enjoy having either one. Good find orbital!

+

___________^

A Yale professor figured the chances the 2012DA14 Asteroid and the Russian Meteorite in the same day were 1:100,000,000
    ..who's to argue w/ a Yale professor

Well i can't say much about the co-incidence but i run a forward facing HD camera in the wife's car and front and rear HD camera's in my car. They're fairly cheap these days and are good insurance.

cheers

I wonder about the trajectory for the third rock, the one that streaked across the central California sky. Did it match either of the other two?

Daniel
    ================================================== =
    I have got to plan my procrastination better!

*Flashaholic*

to be honest, I've considered getting a little GoPro camera for the bike I commute on. Too many drivers that either drive while sleeping or don't respond well to any change in routine traffic. And it will be handy for the next meteroite that screams across the local cornfields!!
    I've had similar thoughts. I've never collided with a car in 34 years of cycling, but it's only because I ride defensively and have cat-like reflexes. I figure if something ever happens, in all likelihood the driver will say it's my fault regardless of the actual turn of events. After all, cyclists in NYC seem to be blamed for everything from hurricanes to bad hair days. The camera will exonerate me. Same thing if a cop stops me for some traffic violation which didn't actually occur (the police, particularly in Manhattan, have been giving lots of cyclists tickets, sometimes even for violations of laws which don't exist). Come to think of it, the situation here in NYC is pretty much like in Russia-lots of bad drivers, corrupt police force. A camera is sounding better all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by gadget_lover View Post
    I wonder about the trajectory for the third rock, the one that streaked across the central California sky. Did it match either of the other two?

Daniel
    Great question, Daniel.

No, it did not. Different times:

"The meteor entered Earth's atmosphere and blew apart over Chelyabinsk at 10:20 p.m. EST on Feb. 14 (03:20:26 GMT on Feb. 15). The meteor briefly outshined the sun during the event, which occurred just hours before a larger space rock — the 150-foot-wide (45 meters) asteroid 2012 DA14 — zoomed by Earth in an extremely close flyby."

vs.

"Asteroid 2012 DA14 approached within 17,200 miles (27,000 kilometers) of Earth Friday, but never posed an impact threat to the planet. The asteroid flyby and Russian meteor explosion had significantly different trajectories, showing that they were completely unrelated events, NASA officials said."

vs.

"Late Friday, another fireball was spotted over the San Francisco Bay Area in California. That event, also unrelated, occurred at about 7:45 p.m. PST (10:45 p.m. EST/0345 Feb. 16 GMT) and lit up the nighttime sky. Aside from the unexpected light show, the fireball over San Francisco had little other effect."

Source

Flashaholic*

some data translated and paraphrased from a few German and Russian websites

NASA scientists estimated the Chelyabinsk heavenly body (meteor/meteorite) to be about 15 meters in diameter with a mass of 7000 metric tons. It entered the Earth atmosphere with a speed of about 18 kilometers per second. It blew up at an altitude of about 20-25 Kilometers. The meteor flew over 4 adminstrative areas with a nominal strike area near the village of Satka. The energy released was estimated by NASA to be about 300 Kilotons of TNT. Unfortunately the "airburst" seems to have totally broke up the meteor and finding the small chunks in a heavily populated area will be difficult. As for specific damage, most of the detonation pressure wave was not focused, but there appears to have been some focused pressure waves that severely damaged some buildings <<ie: The Zinc factory>>. Divers have not found any obvious object(s) at/near the bottom of the 7 meter hole in that nearby lake

<<comment: Given the nature of the earth in the Taiga (including bogs), any object could have burrowed quite deep into Taiga or the bottom of the lake.>>

The (Russian) Ministry of Defense claims to have spotted the meteor nearing the Earth with an estimated velocity of 40 kilometers/second and a mass of 10-30 (metric) tons. They thought that it would burn up in the atmosphere and did not sound an alarm. In the first couple days after the meteor entry, there were some 20K Russian soldiers and 3-7 aircraft searching the area around Chelyabinsk and Satka.

By historical comparison,

the iron-meteor that fell on Sikhote-Alin on the East Coast of Russia in 1947 was estimated to be about 100 (metric) tons also detonated and broke apart in the atmosphere but did create many small holes (sic) in the landscape.

Otherwise the famous Tunguska meteor that exploded over the forested Taiga near a tributary of the Jenissei river caused severe damage to the forest and to local inhabitants. The Estonian minerologist Leonid Kulik (different from the Kulikov fame) later conducted an expedition to that remote area and attempted to reconstruct the event based on what he found and from statements by the locals. The locals saw a huge fireball that seemed to tear apart the sky. People were thrown far more than a meter thru the air and suffered broken bones as they fell back to the ground or landed in the tree branches. The hot pressure wave burned their clothing. The earth shook violently. The heat-storm tore apart the tents of the Tungusen. When Professor Kulik reached what appeared to be the epicenter of the event, the trees were burned and knocked down in a semicircle from the epicenter, but the trees at the epicenter were not knocked down, but stripped of all branches and bark and were burned and charred. ie: the pressure wave was directed vertically down. There was no crater. The estimated diameter of the meteor was about 50 meters. All of the eyewitnesses are now deceased.
    Last edited by moldyoldy; 02-17-2013 at 06:58 PM.

Flashaholic*

update from a German website:

members of the Russian Akademie of Sciences have found 53 meteor fragments, all a centimeter or less in size and looking like porous black stone. Based on chemical tests, they were conclusively proven to be part of a meteor of the Chondrite class. Content was about 10% iron, sulfite and Chrysolit.

Based on where the pieces were found, the main meteor chunk is believed to be at the bottom of Chebarkul' Lake (озеро Чебаркуль). However the Chebarkul Lake has a 1.5 meter thick mud bottom. Air temperatures at the lake are minus 20C, so further searching with divers was halted. The chances of finding that main chunk are believed to be minimal. Nevertheless, the area around Chebarkul' lake was restricted to scientists only to stop treasure seekers from finding and attempting to sell supposed bits of the meteor for up to 300K Rubles (7500 Euro). The police are progressively hunting down the sellers. Almost 5000 building were damaged with some 1200 people hurt.

NASA scientists estimated the energy released by the explosion to be about 30 times the Atomic Bomb that was dropped on Hiroshima.

Re: Why Russians have dashcams:

Works great for preventing insurance fraud, no so much if the driver has anger issues..

Quote Originally Posted by jtr1962 View Post
    Come to think of it, the situation here in NYC is pretty much like in Russia-lots of bad drivers, corrupt police force. A camera is sounding better all the time.
    I had been tempted to post the following video in response to jtr1962's comment about driving and bicycling in NYC but didn't wanted to stray too far off topic. Then again, since Russian dash cam videos have been such a central part of the unfolding of the story of February 15th's meteor strike perhaps this is not really as off topic as it may seem and StarHalo has provided the perfect segue, especially now that the major news of this event is behind us.

When I came across this video, I thought I might watch a few minutes of its 13 minute run time but as each more jaw dropping scene unfolded I found myself unable to stop watching the whole thing. Jets strafing the highway, tanks crossing one's path, shootings, fights.....you name it, even the cops are drunk. I'll take NYC any day.

Last edited by EZO; 02-19-2013 at 05:53 AM.

+

Are these real?.. "vvell yess, you can trvst me" just send PayPal

Flashaholic*

EZO & jtr1962: Thank you for those video links and comments! The main topic had pretty much run it's course anyway

One of my daughters intends to do her residency in the NYC area and she also likes to ride bikes. She has worked in NYC before, but not with a bike. Reading about the NYC bicycle riders and their problems should slow her down. and a doctor that we know wants to visit Russia and does not want to be bothered by public transportation -> wants to drive a rental car. Watching these Russian dash-cam videos will be a great disincentive for his intentions. as for me/wife, outside of the video itself, the verbal comments from the Russian drivers at times were simply hilarious - although quite vulgar in language. Our Russian acquaintances had never mentioned those links, probably because that is the life over there. Thanks to both of you!
    Last edited by moldyoldy; 02-19-2013 at 02:03 PM.

*Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by moldyoldy View Post
    One of my daughters intends to do her residency in the NYC area and she also likes to ride bikes. She has worked in NYC before, but not with a bike. Reading about the NYC bicycle riders and their problems should slow her down.
    For what it's worth, she'll probably avoid any problems as far as the police go if she doesn't go through red lights or stop signs right in front of them. Nearly every cyclist here treats red lights as yields simply because nearly every block has a traffic light. As far as avoiding problems with motorists, not too hard if you're generally respectful. Don't make quick maneuvers, cut people off, or pass red lights/ stop signs if there's cross traffic. Fact is everyone in NYC is a scofflaw in a big hurry, but we all somehow make it work. You just need to keep a high spatial awareness of everything around you. It's actually quite a bit of fun once you get the hang of it.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast