Carnival cruise ship Triumph

The Shadow

Newly Enlightened
The crippled Carnival cruise ship Triumph finally docked late last night after 5 days at sea. An engine room fire killed most of the power to the ship and it needed to be towed back to dock.

I was watching the news last night and they were interviewing people on the ship about the horrible conditions. The commentator said to one passenger that she heard he was a popular guy because he had a flashlight. His enthusiastic response, "I HAD THREE!"

OK, who was it? Someone fess up - you know he's got to be one of us !!!

sgt253

Enlightened
Interesting. I was wondering if there were any flashlight prepared individuals that might be on that cruise. Come on, stand up and be proud!

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, with the old joke about power outages and birth rate, it might have been " flashlights," not flashlights.

This is the Café, right? :p

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was wondering if there were any flashlight prepared individuals that might be on that cruise. Come on, stand up and be proud!

I was wondering the exact same thing!

Three flashlights?

It's somebody on this board.

Give them a chance to get home, sleep, file a lawsuit against Carnival, etc.

Then they'll pop by to see what they've missed during their ordeal and stop by this thread...

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's 2 aspects of this story that prove this guy must be from cpf....

1. he had 3 flashlights instead of 0 or 1.

2. But more importantly, when asked about his one flashlight, he passionately corrected the journalist and said "I have 3 lights"! Its the pride of having more than one light that gave him away!

Anyone can have "one" light for heavens sake! LOL

Burgess

Flashaholic
I caught that interview, also ! ! !

;)

BTW --

As the ship was being docked, saw quite a few passengers using STROBE mode,

and even S - O - S mode on their flashlights ! :p

And LOTS of people holding GLOW-STICKS, which had been passed out.

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
I couldn't help but think that it sounds like the real problem is a design issue. Why should one fire in one room cripple the entire ship?

SemiMan

Banned
Trying to piece together the details from the stories, but it looks to be an issue not so much with the generators, as taking out the electrical system.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I couldn't help but think that it sounds like the real problem is a design issue. Why should one fire in one room cripple the entire ship?

My thought also. When you consider that the power system is essentially a life support system, there should not be a single point of failure in either the power generation or distribution systems.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Carnival ships sail under 'flags of convenience'. I worked on a Panamanian flagged vessel decades ago but I'd never set foot on one for pleasure.

I wonder how many passengers bought tickets from travel agents who told them their trip would be the experience of a lifetime? Gotta be careful what you wish for...

The Shadow

Newly Enlightened
My thought also. When you consider that the power system is essentially a life support system, there should not be a single point of failure in either the power generation or distribution systems.

Agreed, but... redundant systems cost money. They've probably got some redundancy, but survival after an engine room fire wasn't in their budget. Some bean counter probably figured it was cheaper to tow the boat and pay off the passengers in this unlikely scenario. Don't know for sure, just my guess, but I doubt a Navy ship would be this easily crippled...

SemiMan

Banned
Agreed, but... redundant systems cost money. They've probably got some redundancy, but survival after an engine room fire wasn't in their budget. Some bean counter probably figured it was cheaper to tow the boat and pay off the passengers in this unlikely scenario. Don't know for sure, just my guess, but I doubt a Navy ship would be this easily crippled...

For me the bigger issue is putting "points of failure" in the place where those faults are most likely to cascade, i.e. the engine room. The engine room is the most likely place to have a fire. Critical systems not directly associated with the engines would be best placed elsewhere.

The difference on a Naval vessel is they would fix it enough to get it running and run with a level or risk. For all the inconvenience of the passengers, it does not appear they were ever really in any danger. If there was a level of danger, much different measures in terms of evacuation, etc. would have been taken on.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
For me the bigger issue is putting "points of failure" in the place where those faults are most likely to cascade, i.e. the engine room. The engine room is the most likely place to have a fire. Critical systems not directly associated with the engines would be best placed elsewhere.

The difference on a Naval vessel is they would fix it enough to get it running and run with a level or risk. For all the inconvenience of the passengers, it does not appear they were ever really in any danger. If there was a level of danger, much different measures in terms of evacuation, etc. would have been taken on.

There was at least one woman on board who relied on some sort of powered medical device and it was unusable.

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
The initial fire was started by a fuel leak in engine number 6. I am sure there are a few engines in the engine room, each with it own generator. I think the fire took out a few other engines as the fire spread.

We took a Carnival Cruise last December, I carry a flashlight and a folding knife with me at all times on the ship

edcmachine

Newly Enlightened
Should be a good time to pick up discounted cruise tickets. Sure seems like quite a few disasters in the last few years. Crazy.