Anyone else want a Moonshine Photon Freedom?

appliancejunk

Enlightened
I like the little Photon Freedom keychain lights and have used them for years.

Another product I really like is the Moonshine Storeacell battery cases.
http://www.powerpax.net/12AA-Pack-Battery-Caddy-moonshine_p_15.html

I have a 4xAA Moonshine battery case that sits on my night stand that glows great every night.

It's cool when they come out with Photon Freedoms in special color bodies, but I think what would be really cool is to have a Photon Freedom with a Moonshine body. It would not only be cool, but also serve a purpose as it could make it easier to find in the dark.

Anyone else with me?

appliancejunk

Enlightened
Put a tritium fob on the Photon's ring, now it glows with no light input at all..

Not a bad idea, but not the same thing. ;)
It would be like buying a green Storeacell and putting a tritium fob on it. Sure it would work, but it's just not what I'm looking for. :)

bansuri

Enlightened
There are coincidences every day that go unnoticed or commented on, but I can't let this one go by. I had the exact same thought last night after seeing my Powerpax GITD battery holder shining at me out of my now nearly empty flashlight drawer. That stuff glows for hours after a good blast of daylight, I'd pay extra for that version of the Photon Freedom.

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
LRI does make the Photon X-Light, which is a lower-end version of their lights... but this one is available with a GITD button -- with either a clear or black body.

bansuri

Enlightened
I sent Photon lights a link to this thread, maybe they'll be interested.
I know nothing about the workings of GITD except that there are huge differences in quality. I've had some stuff that lasts for minutes, some that lasts for hours. The Powerpax battery holders always surprise me when I open my gear bag after dark when we go camping and they are still glowing brightly from daylight exposure earlier.
I don't know what wavelength of light charges GITD, but it would be a nice bonus if it could give itself a little charge just by turning on the light for a couple seconds.
Here is a shot of mine:

5mbcyc.jpg

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
The "good" stuff is called Luminova. It is way better than the old glow stuff they used to use years ago. It's popular in watches but is just starting to be used in other stuff that glows. The problem is manufacturers typically do not state what glow compound is being used . Most toys and items still use the older/cheaper zinc based luminous compound that glows brightly for only a minute or so.

Luminova also lasts many many years without degradation - unlike the older stuff that does degrade over a few years.

ico

Enlightened
The only GITD stuff I normally encounter is the GITD holder for ZL headlamps and the holder for those bath and body hand sanitizers. The latter only glows for a few seconds, a few mins at max. The holder for ZL though are great. Hours pass and it still glows. Not as much bright when newly exposed but still enough to see its surroundings

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could get a clear body and add glow V10 paint too the internal gaps in the body that don't effect battery replacement

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
to Regulator --

Thank you for the tip about Luminova !

Here is a Link to the manufacturer.

Glad I could help Burgess. There are some other places to buy the high quality paint that uses the strontium aluminate compound (the older stuff used was zinc based). I believe the V10 mentioned above is one such paint. I did a lot of research when it was first being used in watches about 1993 when Seiko started using it - which they call Lumibrite. It's also known as Superluminova.
http://www.nemoto.co.jp/en/products/luminova/luminova.html

Would really LOVE to see more Flashlight Stuff using this amazing substance !

appliancejunk

Enlightened
Glad to see others are also interested in a GITD Photon Freedom.
I also emailed Photon Lights about a GITD version. :)

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a few coin cell lights with GITD paint applied to the BACK of the 5mm LED. This charges the glow and glows nicely. However, it's only visible in the same angle that the light's beam is, so it's not a good locator. A clear-bodied coin cell light would work well with glow paint as CH said. GlowInc has very good glow paint.

appliancejunk

Enlightened
GlowInc has very good glow paint.

Hey, just checked out Glow Inc after reading your post.
Their GITD paint sounds awesome!

I'm going to order some. Would you recommend using the Water-Based or Solvent-Based GITD paint on a flashlight?

Thanks!

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, just checked out Glow Inc after reading your post.
Their GITD paint sounds awesome!

I'm going to order some. Would you recommend using the Water-Based or Solvent-Based GITD paint on a flashlight?

Thanks!

I have a little tub of the water-based stuff. It seems to do well enough away from water. I suppose the solvent-based one is more water-resistant for making glowy outside features. I've just been stuffing it behind optics, or accepting that gradual wear. The owner of that site is pretty active on our GITD forum. Check there.