Surefire UBR Invictus

Craig K

Enlightened
I noticed that the Surefire UBR Invictus is now up on the Surefire Website is anyone here going to get this light and maybe do a review?

Craig K

Enlightened
So the UBR Invictus can do 800 lumens running on just two CR123 primaries?

välineurheilija

Enlightened
Maybe but i think the 2 hour tactical runtime is measured with the lion battery that comes with the light and with primaries probably a lot shorter runtime.

Bronco

Enlightened
I noticed that the Surefire UBR Invictus is now up on the Surefire Website is anyone here going to get this light and maybe do a review?

Are you kidding!? Few flashlights have generated more excitement and buzz here at CPF than did the Invictus when it was first announced by Surefire.

Then 2008 ended and we welcomed in 2009...

;) :D

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
So the UBR Invictus can do 800 lumens running on just two CR123 primaries?

Maybe but i think the 2 hour tactical runtime is measured with the lion battery that comes with the light and with primaries probably a lot shorter runtime.

And, there is a little note in the product listing that 'tactical runtime' is measured to 50 lumens, i.e. one sixteenth of full brightness:

*Runtime (at highest setting for multiple-output flashlights) until output drops below 50 lumens

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
The runtime is probably going to be very similar to the UNR Commander. Runtime curves can be seen here.
I noticed that the head is shorter than on the UB3T, 3 vs 5 cooling fins, so hopefully it will be less front heavy than the UB3T.
From pictures it looks like it going to use the new style optic that has been used on some of the newest UB3Ts.

Craig K

Enlightened
The runtime is probably going to be very similar to the UNR Commander. Runtime curves can be seen here.
I noticed that the head is shorter than on the UB3T, 3 vs 5 cooling fins, so hopefully it will be less front heavy than the UB3T.
From pictures it looks like it going to use the new style optic that has been used on some of the newest UB3Ts.

So is the new style optic better than the older one?

Craig K

Enlightened
Does anyone have the UNR Commander if so how do you like the 4-function tailcap switch is it any good?

Craig K

Enlightened
The price for the UBR Invictus on the Surefire website says $692.00 but how much will it actually go on sale for in the shops?

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can deduct 37% to find the cheapest you will be able to find it for, i.e. -30% for minimum advertised price and then -10% on minimum advertised price with a coupon code. So you will be able to get it for $436.

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
So is the new style optic better than the older one?

I haven't seen anyone compare them yet. They say the new style gives more/stronger spill, so if you are going to use it much on the lowest modes, then I think you may like the new style better. But if you are going to use it as a spotlight in a combination with a headlamp, then the old style may be better since it uses all the lumens to give you a huge powerful hotspot.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got one on the way...

Does anyone have the UNR Commander if so how do you like the 4-function tailcap switch is it any good?
It works well, but sticks out too much. If you are going to carry it on a duty belt in an open-bottom holster, there's a good chance of accidental activation.

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think they should have added a ""Momentary Max" setting to the control ring that disabled the constant on function of the 4-function tailcap. That would take care of the accidental activation while you still had fast one hand access to max mode.

Retinator

Enlightened
I'm wondering if the 4FTC will work with the UB3T?

I still prefer the combat grip on the UB3T.
Nice to see some stuff actually trickling out of the vapour.

There are several threads or parts therof (all short) on this issue on CPF concerning the UB3T and the new optic which we understood was being used in later-model UB3Ts - but which no-one seems to have ever seen in the UB3T. It would be nice to know if this 'new' optic does produce more spill but a smaller hotspot which was what was speculated might be the case - and as the OP speculates here for the UBR.

I haven't seen anyone compare them yet. They say the new style gives more/stronger spill, so if you are going to use it much on the lowest modes, then I think you may like the new style better. But if you are going to use it as a spotlight in a combination with a headlamp, then the old style may be better since it uses all the lumens to give you a huge powerful hotspot.

Craig K

Enlightened
If somebody gets one of these could you please post some pictures of it in this thread...thanks.

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are several threads or parts therof (all short) on this issue on CPF concerning the UB3T and the new optic which we understood was being used in later-model UB3Ts - but which no-one seems to have ever seen in the UB3T. It would be nice to know if this 'new' optic does produce more spill but a smaller hotspot which was what was speculated might be the case - and as the OP speculates here for the UBR.

It is not like no one has ever seen the new optic in the UB3T. See post #58 in selfbuilts review thread. gmf2010 has an UB3T with new style optic.

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are several threads or parts therof (all short) on this issue on CPF concerning the UB3T and the new optic which we understood was being used in later-model UB3Ts - but which no-one seems to have ever seen in the UB3T.

It is not like no one has ever seen the new optic in the UB3T. See post #58 in selfbuilts review thread. gmf2010 has an UB3T with new style optic.

I've had a similar puzzling discussion with 7histology about his persistent denial of the existence of the new UB3T optic despite CPF posts with photos:

Do we actually KNOW that there ever really was 'modified' optic - the one with the window. Does anyone have one - do we know anyone who has?

Here's someone who claims to have one: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...EAMSHOTS!!**&p=3963578&viewfull=1#post3963578

Looks real to me, it appears that you corresponded a bit with the owner on the thread linked above. I'm puzzled why you would ask this question since you seem to have knowledge of the dealer in Oz and conversed online with the owner of the light pictured above. :confused:

Because if you follow that thread through, you don't actually find anything out. No-one seems to actually HAVE a UB3T with the 'window' in the optic and no-one seems to know what the difference, if the window-less version has actually shipped, between it and the original optic would be in terms of beam performance, etc.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...chure-is-Out&p=4124278&viewfull=1#post4124278

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've tried to pre-order the Invictus and I was told it's still not shipping til the end of March! Soooo, until I can actually buy one 4 real, I don't believe it will really reach market place...just vapor ware and hype since 2008! Same as the Dominator!

It is in stock here.

Latest posts