Malkoff Run Times

MatthewSB

Enlightened
OK so batteryjunction.com publishes the runtimes on Malkoff Dropins.

M61 has 2.5 hrs.
M61L has 5 hours.
M61LL has 10 hours.

I also see M61LLL and M61LLLL available elsewhere, but they do not publish runtimes, only draw:

M61 650ma
M61L 300ma
M61LL 150ma
M61LLL 75ma
M61LLLL 40ma

Am I reading this right if it seems like as the draw is cut in half, the runtime is doubled?

So should I assume that the LLL has about 20 hours, and the LLLL 40ish hours, on a pair of CR123?

So an M61LLL should last around 30 hours on 3 CR123a, or maybe a bit more?

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
Batteries tend to have a higher apparent capacity at lower current draws, it's subtle below a point but it means that as you halve current draw then your runtime more than doubles, the effect is more noticable at higher currents that push the limit of the battery chemistry and size.

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
Before you buy, you must should know that there are different tints that Malkoff make.

Oveready has the Neutrals 4000k
Illumination Supply has the Nichia 219 4500k
Malkoff has his standard Warm 3700k and Cool whites.

If you do a search, there should be beamshots and discussion on the Oveready Neutrals and Illumination Supply's Nichia. Pick the tint that best suits you.

Last edited:

Darvis

Enlightened
Have a few stubby lights that run the M61NLLL and LLLL on a single 18350. When I was looking to set these up, I ran the numbers and seem to recall that I should see ~13-15hrs with the LLL and ~17-19 with LLLL.

Granted, I have not actually tested these to that distance and not 100% sure my numbers are super accurate, but they should be close enough..

I have used the LLLL camping in this setup and I can say that in total darkness, it's plenty bright and went 4 straight days of moderate use on one cell...

BenChiew

Flashlight Enthusiast
LLL should consume around 150 mAh. Assuming your 18350 has around half of a 18650 power, that should be around 1500mA. So yeah, the LLL should run the 10 hrs or thereabouts before dimming.

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
Only way to know is to do the runtime test on your actual setup.

The draw is at initial voltage, as voltage diminishes the regulator pushes the draw up. You can think of the calculation battery capacity divided by initial draw as max theoretical runtime. This can be useful to rank flashlights initially.

One small example, M31L has a max theoretical runtime of 2.7 hours, but when tested gave 1.7 hours, a whole hour less.

So eventually you, or someone, will need to do the runtime test.

BenChiew

Flashlight Enthusiast
Only way to know is to do the runtime test on your actual setup.

The draw is at initial voltage, as voltage diminishes the regulator pushes the draw up. You can think of the calculation battery capacity divided by initial draw as max theoretical runtime. This can be useful to rank flashlights initially.

One small example, M31L has a max theoretical runtime of 2.7 hours, but when tested gave 1.7 hours, a whole hour less.

So eventually you, or someone, will need to do the runtime test.

A runtime test will give you some empirical figures. But the straight calculations will give you some ballpark figures what to expect. So that you know that it is around the 10 hours mark and not just 2 hours. I normally do the straight calculation and then discount it by 15%.

BIG45-70

Enlightened
A runtime test will give you some empirical figures. But the straight calculations will give you some ballpark figures what to expect. So that you know that it is around the 10 hours mark and not just 2 hours. I normally do the straight calculation and then discount it by 15%.

Anyway to figure out the runtime of an M61NLLLL on a pair of primaries?

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Necro bump.

Wondering what runtimes people are generating on M61LLLL. All combinations, including on alkaline AA cells. The quote above seems awfully low.