Sunwayman V10R Ti+ arrived today . First impressions not so great.

aaronhome27

Newly Enlightened
I finally decided to "upgrade" my EDC light and wanted something with a bit more pizzazz. Decided after some reading that I wanted to get my first sunwayman and to get a good looking one. SO I hopped on Going Gear and hit the purchase button. My intention was not to buy something to upgrade other than the aa extender. Just wanted a stock good ol lookin light. Well after messing with it a bit I was a little disappointed for what I spent. I have a ton of Fenix lights and thought this may be a bit of an upgrade. The beam / hotspot is horrible. Granted at 30 + ft it all blends well but less than that and you have a rainbow of green, yellow, purple etc. I got the light for everyday close work. Looking at a ceiling you cant see much of any detail because the multitude of various color temperatures. This is my 3rd XM-L U2 light and none are like this. My Fenix PD32 UE has nearly a perfect temperature all the way through. I wount even go into the transition from center to spill.

Next, I have to mention the fit and finish. The threads were terrible. There was a lot of machining debris left that really ground when taking the light apart the first time. Used some grease to clean the threads and when done I had quite a bit of gray matter all over my rag. That isnt including what I got out of the inside of the tube. Now the AA extention tube was perfect, clean and lubed. The light itself grinds pretty bad when putting it back together now, even when greased well. Maybe it is just me, but even my cheap lights arent this bad. The over all finish of the light itself looks pretty good though until you handle it. The machining is left pretty sharp which surprised me. I had tossed the Idea of buying the Jetbeam Ti because it looked much smoother but figured this one should be alright and I liked the looks better. Not really the case I guess.

Please correct me if I am wrong but am I over reactiing? Is this common on the lower priced Ti lights? I have a stainless LD01 I have had for years and it is still like new. I just hadn't pulled the trigger on a Ti light yet. I figured the finish would be as good as other lights I had seen regardless of the Ti material used. I am just amazed at how good this light makes my Fenix lights look. Even my old ones!

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
The beam / hotspot is horrible. Granted at 30 + ft it all blends well but less than that and you have a rainbow of green, yellow, purple etc.

That's because it's a CREE LED.
My pal observed the same weakness, i.e. the same bottleneck, in the Sirius: nice looks, nice Ti finish but when it comes down to the beam, cheaper lights may have a nicer beam over all.

I don't like CREE.

aaronhome27

Newly Enlightened
I just started buying lights again after some time away. Just got the bug for some reason ....LOL. But the Fenix PD32 UE (XM-L T6) is about as perfect a color temp I have seen. Was really hoping for something atleast as good in a light twice the price. Heck even my Crelant with a U3 is beautiful compared to this one.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Titanium on titanium tends to grind. It's to be expected that the threads on a titanium flashlight won't be as smooth as those on an aluminum light. This goes for every titanium light I own (Jetbeam TCR-01, Eagletac D25a 2012, 4 sevens mini AA). That said, there is a wide array of quality when it comes to overall machining. the machining on my TCR-01 is excellent with no sharp edges and no visible machining marks or debris. It's a work of art. The machining on my Eagletacs is nice, but they do have sharp edges at the tail. And they scratch slightly easier than the TCR-01. Perhaps Eagletac used a lower grade of titanium.

From everything I've seen, Sunwayman titanium lights are comparatively poorly executed, with lots of sharp edges and visible machining marks. It's not too surprising that the threads might be especially rough.

If close up color rendition is extremely important to you, perhaps you should upgrade the emitter in your Sunwayman to a Nichia 219 High CRI.

KarstGhost

Enlightened
I've got one of these on the way, also from GG...I don't expect any tint to be pleasing to my picky eyes these days, hoping to mod this to a high CRI XML. Every titanium light I've come across has crunchy threads, just a characteristic of the material.

aaronhome27

Newly Enlightened
I've got one of these on the way, also from GG...I don't expect any tint to be pleasing to my picky eyes these days, hoping to mod this to a high CRI XML. Every titanium light I've come across has crunchy threads, just a characteristic of the material.

Not to sway you as mine may have been a bad unit. But, the beam / spill was terrible as stated earlier, threads and battery tube were full of manufacturing debris, yes threads on Ti can be a bit rough but I mean everytime I go to reinstall the tube it feels like it is going to cross thread, I also noticed the head was loose on mine so I tightened is up and now the magnetic ring is a bit rough as well, mind you that was only hand tightening because the ring was moving all over the place. I wont mention the scratches on it when I got it or the pocket clip as I guess these may be common known problems. I guess my point is that I spent decent money on an entry level higher end light and kind of expected a bit more on the QC side of things. This is one of the most expensive lights in my collection now and it has to be possibly the worst craftsmanship of all. Granted the others are mainly stainless and HAIII covered but they all arrived pretty much flawless. Just rubs me the wrong way I guess.

SlipKid

Newly Enlightened
I would send it back and get another one, sounds like too many issues with that one. My M11R Sirius is flawless, a work of art. Smooth finish with no sharp edges, threads are clean and smooth.

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
You didn't even mention the button. It isn't a clickie, it's a...lumpy pillow. It also bugs me that it doesn't take an 18350.

But it sounds like you got one that circumvented QA. I would send it back.

simba

Newly Enlightened
When I got my v10r ti+ from a local dealer,I manage to go throught 5 or 6 and I cant find a single one without oblivious machining marks.took quite a while to pick the best one.Is totally opposite when I get yo scan throught the tcr1.there 3 or 4 to choose from. Cant find any oblivious machine mark on all of them. So I can pick the one with the s/n i prefer.the tint of the beam has always been a bit like lottery even for tcr1.one of mine has a slight greenish tint on low but the other is pure white but the led can be replaced if the bezel is removed.so not so much of a problem.but to replace the led on the v10r ti need to dismantle more than just the bezel.btw, I suppose titanium thread will always be rougher compared to alumium thread.

KarstGhost

Enlightened
Not to sway you as mine may have been a bad unit. But, the beam / spill was terrible as stated earlier, threads and battery tube were full of manufacturing debris, yes threads on Ti can be a bit rough but I mean everytime I go to reinstall the tube it feels like it is going to cross thread, I also noticed the head was loose on mine so I tightened is up and now the magnetic ring is a bit rough as well, mind you that was only hand tightening because the ring was moving all over the place. I wont mention the scratches on it when I got it or the pocket clip as I guess these may be common known problems. I guess my point is that I spent decent money on an entry level higher end light and kind of expected a bit more on the QC side of things. This is one of the most expensive lights in my collection now and it has to be possibly the worst craftsmanship of all. Granted the others are mainly stainless and HAIII covered but they all arrived pretty much flawless. Just rubs me the wrong way I guess.

I can understand your frustration then. I should be getting mine within the next couple of days and will report back. It will be my first Sunwayman so I can't vouch for them, but I've always had good experiences with GG. I'm sure they would look into it for you. :)

Is the Ti+ clip still a problem? Thought they were updating it.

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're not happy with the light (and good reasons imo), contact GG, then return the light. FWIW, I purchased one for a freind, checked it out before gift wrapping it. Everything checked out fine, so I gave it to him.

Good Luck with your search.

PS It's unfortunate Henry is back logged with his lights, or I'd recommend an HDS.

PPS GG still shows a few of the HDS Cerakoted Clickies in stock. At one time, GG wasn't offering a discount on an HDS, but I don't see the "no discount" disclaimer anylonger. However, if you're interested, give Andy or one of the guys a call to verify if you're able to use their CPF discount code to save 10% on the light.

Last edited:

KarstGhost

Enlightened
I got mine in the mail today and I think you may have gotten a lemon. There was a small shred of titanium jutting out on the threads that I peeled off, but other than that the fit and finish are about what I expected. My sample doesn't have any sharp machining on the body. The tint is about as mediocre as all cool white tints are. My main criticism is that horrible metal button...I like the way it looks, but it's so mushy and wobbly. I'll be changing it out with the rubber one included.

If I was you I'd contact GG, they're great to work with and I'm sure they'd take care of it.

aaronhome27

Newly Enlightened
GG has been great to deal with. They are working with me to get the issues resolved. BUT I cant speak much for sunwayman. Sent several emails off and got a reply finally. Simply said sorry you arent happy with the light......lol. All things said I believe with this being my first SWM it will also be my last. Not to impressed with the service by SWM not the quality of this light. I am going to polish the light up myself. Its not worth having to pay shipping back and forth possibly several times to get a good one if that is even possible. I was able to get the tint / spill to look about as good as it gets. Seems there was still some metal debris in the threads for the head that eventually worked loose as well as the head working loose. Took it off and cleaned it all up. Tightened up and now the spacing must be right because the beam and spill look about as good as they can get and manageable. The Ti clicky looks BA but boy if you dont hit it right it gets annoying. GG is sending me another style pocket clip to replace the stock one that lasted all of 10 minutes in my pocket. They were pretty good about trying to get something that would work and were willing to foot the bill to get one off to me. All in all the light is okay but not worth more than $100 IMHO. The Titanium is a bit soft and scratches pretty easy and the quality is pretty obvious from my post. Looking back I wish I would have gone with a jetbeam Ti or the Niteye TiC. Pretty sure one of those will be my replacement for this one in short order. Really leaning on the Niteye!

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it remains gritty, check the lube thread thats stickied. Quite a few recommendations for Ti thats gritty.

aaronhome27

Newly Enlightened
^^ Will do!

Do have to update as well. SWM finally got back with me and are willing to go the extra mile to fix whatever I need fixed. Although it took a while for them to get back with me it is great to see they look to be sincere about making the customer happy.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
...Looking back I wish I would have gone with a jetbeam Ti or the Niteye TiC. Pretty sure one of those will be my replacement for this one in short order. Really leaning on the Niteye!

Good choice. I don't have the Niteye TiC, but I do have the Niteye EYE10 and the Jetbeam TCR-01. The EYE10 is slightly brighter with its (I think) slightly higher drive current and U2 emitter. The EYE10 also has a better tint. More of a pure white than the TCR-01. They Niteye's orange peel reflector also produces a vastly better beam than the ringy beam produced by the Jetbeam's smooth reflector (though it should be noted that later Jetbeam runs seem to use an OP reflector).

The Jetbeam / Niteye lights also seem to be much easier to mod than Sunwayman's. Emitter swapping is much easier. I've put in a neutral XML2 into my TCR-01. Looks much better than stock.

LowFlux

Enlightened
The original Sunwayman V10r Ti was such a hit. The V10r Ti+ was a letdown in comparison with people complained about machining marks, the piston drive action not being smooth. The V11r was a little bit of a letdown as well too mostly because of the piston drive.

I lost my Ti V10R and managed to buy a replacement before they went away, glad that I did as it is still on of my favorite EDCs! Rather then risk losing another V10r Ti I got a V10r with XML in Desert Sand for EDC and reserve the Ti only for dress up or special events. I prefer the thrown of the XPG Ti over the floody beam of the XML, between the two.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
... the piston drive action not being smooth. The V11r was a little bit of a letdown as well too mostly because of the piston drive...

It's not really a piston drive. It just looks like one.

The piston drive on lights like the Nitecore D10 worked well because the piston ran down the entire length of the battery tube. The metal "button" was just the tip of the back of the piston. Because it went down the length of the battery tube it couldn't wobble and had a smooth action.

In contrast, the metal button on the Sunwayman V11r and V10r Ti+ isn't a piston. It's just a metal cover over a traditional rubber button. Because it doesn't extend down into the light, it can and does wobble. It's also extremely poorly engineered, as the metal grinds and jams easily - totally unsuitable for flashlight use. It's pretty stupid that Sunwayman approved the metal button for sale. It's obvious they were going for looks over function. But a flashlight switch isn't rocket science. They should've known better.

The rubber replacement button they released after actually works, but looks uglier than the metal button.

Latest posts