Need a bright light for Africa

Mark_Larson

Enlightened
So i'm going to vacation in Tanzania for the winter holidays. I want to get three small flashlights for my parents and sibling, as well as a very bright flashlight for use and as a gift to my family, who are moving to a much more rural place now.

In Africa, tiny EDC lights are useless as soon as you get out of your house - its pitch black beyond your pathway, and the ability to put a spot farther than others is needed more than a nearfield flood.

I don't want something too expensive because it can get stolen, otherwise i was all agog at the Tri-Star 3x3W.

I want to keep it around $ 60 ± 10, because that's what the Blasters sell for. If Wayne had one for me which i could take home, use and praise, i'd be too obliged for words.

I'm primarily looking at AA, C or D based lights, because they are cheap and batteries are available even in Africa (albeit Carbon-Zinc), and D-based lights have the option of looking formidable and less easy to steal. (Although i won't take into account the ability to use the light as a weapon when i buy - by the time the situation escalates to that extent, my parents will have forgotten all about the spray (in case of Tigerlight) or that they can attack with the light.

So what are my options? (primarily looking at LSs because of longevity and battery life)

Kiessling

Flashaholic
when you need LED, range, AA/C/D-Cells, a rugged construction and a high quality at a low price ... Wayne's Blasters seem the way to go, although I do not own one.

Another one, albeit smaller: MrBulk's LGI in the classic or new format! looks innocent, but kicks ***! I have a LGI-LE and can highly recommend it!

bernhard

paulr

Flashaholic
If all you can get is zinc-carbon cells then you need lights with relatively low current for the cell size. So for a cheap bright light get a random 4D 6-volt lantern. For a smaller light, maybe you can consider a PT40 with a few sets of NiMH AA's and a solar charger.

Mark_Larson

Enlightened
The Carbon-Zinc battery thing isn't a problem - i'll take some Alkalines with me when i go. Ni-MHs aren't a good idea because of low keepability. I want the light to be available when they need it. I don't need the long shelf-life and expense of Litihums though.

Where can i buy an LGI/SLGI etc? I love MR Bulk's modded lights but don't know how to buy one.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Go with the D's and a Elektrolumens Tri-Star 3X1. $89 the last time I looked, and plenty bright with decent throw. Sturdy light, and leds won't break if you drop it. Also, if something does happen to one led, you still have two left. Good flood also, so nothing can surprise you on the periphary.

Bill

Gandalf

Enlightened
I had a friend who was in the Peace Corps in Africa, although several years ago. She reported that C cells were very difficult to obtain outside of tourist areas, where they were predictibly expexsive. Likely, this varies with the country, but I'd stick with a D cell light, for it's longer life over the equally common AA zinc-carbon batteries, which she repored as pretty wimpy, compared to alkalines in the USA/Europe. Led's are the way to go; no lamp to break or burn out. If the weight isn't too prohibitive, a Lightwave 4000, (or similar) and perhaps a smaller AA LED light,for ease of carry, would be my choices.

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want extreme throw for cheap, might consider taking a PT surge along. It takes AA's and puts out a pretty good whallop of light. They can usually be found for less than $30. Only bad part...it's incandescent.

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
well.. a nice $60 light would be the Elektrolumens Blaster 2..
it's every bit as bright as a 3D incandescent.. the difference is, it has 24 hours of near-bright runtime and 72 hours of useable light!
there's a catch tho! i'm not sure if this light is available anymore.. if you're interested in it, you could either contact Elektrolumens thru their forum here on CPF, or posted a wanted ad in the BST forum..
an amazing Quickbeam review can be found on his site here http://flashlightreviews1.home.att.net/reviews/elektrolumens_blaster2.htm

AMAZING light.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you are going to have to stick to a D-cell light, for maximum runtime.

Perhaps you should do a test of your own. If you have any two identical lights, run one on regular zinc-carbon and the other on alkaline cells.

The standard zinc-carbon batteries ARE going to be more of a problem than you think.

GregR

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mark,
I would look at the Elektrolumens Blaster R. It uses a micropuck voltage regulator and will run for 24 hours before going out of regulation...it will then give usable light for several days to walk with.
The other option is the Elektrolumens Anglelux 2D. It uses the same micropuck voltage regulator but has different optics for a wider flood but less throw. The donor body is a GI angle head flashlight with the clip to hold it on a vest.
Since you will be at Wayne's site, throw in a $30 3AAA Illumilux for a smaller carry option. Good luck and have a good time in Africa.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agreed on the Anglelux 2D, extremely long runtime, so battery costs go way down...

As for the other 3 smaller lights, how about the SL TT 3AA? I'm not sure how bright they are in total darkness, but at least they run on AAs and should have a decent enough throw? Else, the SL TL 3AA (1W LS)could be jsut as handy as a long run light but less throw?

JanCPF

Enlightened
May I suggest Pelican Super Sabrelite. It's a very tough very durable light that takes any abuse you can dish up. It runs on 3 C cells of any type and is completely waterproof. The beam is tight and focused so it has quite god throw for a light that runs for well over an hour on a set of normal bats. I've been diving with this light for some years before i got my Green Force HID, and the original bulb still runs just fine (It's had at least 50 hours burn time)

Jan

Mark_Larson

Enlightened
I've read quite a few comparisons of the SL 1W and Elektrolumens 3AA. They all say that the EL is a flood and lighter than the SL, which is a spot, throws farther and is a bit heavier. The SL is also $ 5 more.

I was also looking at a PT Surge but it is incandescent, heavy on batteries (eight AA at a time!) and low on runtime. But man its bright!

peggsy

Newly Enlightened
I don't think you could do much better than the blaster V for the bigger light. They're big, tough and simple, and give heaps of light for a very long time.

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
Mark I don't understand why a light like an infinity Ultra (or an Arc AAA or for spot an X1) wouldn't work for most tasks. If it is REALLY DARK then a little light goes a long way. A bright light kills your night vision /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif though it is needed at times when you want to find out what that noise in the bush is /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif

Mark_Larson

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Wits' End said:
Mark I don't understand why a light like an infinity Ultra (or an Arc AAA or for spot an X1) wouldn't work for most tasks. If it is REALLY DARK then a little light goes a long way. A bright light kills your night vision /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif though it is needed at times when you want to find out what that noise in the bush is /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif

[/ QUOTE ] See, the thing is that the pathway is most often illuminated fine, but what you really need a flashlight for is exactly that noise in the bush.

Case in example: Me and my sister were walking from the Dining Hall to our bedrooms in a sprawling, old-style hotel in Ngorongoro, a national park famous for allowing its creatures free roam over the entire park, including the hotels :shudder:

We heard some rustling behind the short (3') stone wall and couldn't see what it was. We quickened our pace, and just as we approached the stairs, we heard whatever it was shoot out and scurry across the path. I would've given anything to know what it was in those few adrenalin-filled moments, but alas.

As i mentioned, the only time you do need a light is when you want to illuminate something afar. Small EDC-type lights are useless for the most part. (Unless its a magical Arc LS running a 5W at 1A)

Thinking about this, i'm even thinking of going for a halogen-based light, but battery life is also important.

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
BTW I intended to say greetings from up North /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Well the Innova X1 might do for most situations. Or one of the Streamlight Twin Task lights would give you the reliability and battery conservation you desire with LED's and the Xenon the BRIGHT.
IIRC the 2D version hasn't been highly rated so given your parameters I'd suggest the 3AAA.
My walking EDC is an Ultra and a Scorpion and I haven't been eaten by wolves yet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif But I have 123's and AA's aplenty.
The other option is the new PT headlamp with the 1W luxeon and 3 Nichias I think it's a Yukon + or some such.
If my life depended on it I'd rather the LED for reliability.
Where are your folks moving to?

Mark_Larson

Enlightened
Greetings from down south. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

They're moving from Dar Es Salaam, the commercial capital, to Mtwara, the fishing capital.

... hey, atleast the lobster will be cheap! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Regarding the EDC, i'm thinking of giving them CMG Infinity Ultra-G's instead of the Dorcy 1AAA, but that would turn out to be prohibitively expensive. ($ 60 vs $ 25 for 4)

Another thing the smaller lights won't be capable of is shining at the grounds to see if there's a trespasser, animal or human, and whether the security guard is asleep, awake or dead. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sleepy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif