Klarus        
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678912 ... LastLast

Thread: Fire Foxes IV FF4

Default Re: Fire Foxes IV FF4

Happy to offer up my experiences!
    WWII 60" Carbon Arc (Sold), 1.6KW NightSun, 1KW VSS-3A, .8KW TrakkaBeam, 600W M-134 Light, 500W X-500-14s, 500W Starburst, 500W A120b, 450 Watt AEG German Leopard 1 Tank Light, 300W Locators, Megaray, 150W Communicator, Maxabeam Gen3, Pichel 75W Mini-Novas

Subscribed! I'm in for a gb!

count me in for one

Quote Originally Posted by Patriot View Post
    oh, okay. Thanks for getting me up to speed Bob. See, I just didn't know enough about the current situation with the FFIII with the cut spring and the wrapper's tearing but it all makes sense now. If one is going to own the FFIII, like you stated, it just flat out makes sense to just order some unprotected cells rather than certainly ruining existing ones.

That's why I ask you buddy!
    Patriot/BVH, you both know how "rabid" I am about Li-Ion safety, and I carefully studied the internals of the FF3, battery holder, and did repeated run times, and frequent removal and checking voltage of cells (which I numbered to keep in same holder position which can affect total resistance and drain) before feeling comfortable using the unprotected Panasonics in my FF3. There is also a whole other level of quality starting with that brand (vs. *crap*-Fire Li-Ion brands).

As far as tearing the label, it is always a good idea to seal the split, tear with a dab of 5 min epoxy or clear fingernail polish to avoid progression, and the far more serious internal short against the body tube. Nothing wrong with using quality protected cells either for extra protection. If you remove most of the contact spring, take a few seconds to sand down the sharp remaining edge and fold it down with needle-nose pliers.

I got an email/PM from Lips to sign up for the FF4 GB he is running over at Flashlight-Forums.com which is nice of him to do once again.

I'm trying to figure out how this FF4 output compares to the FF3.

Man, has that FF3 been an awesome light to have--especially with candletop standup mode during the 9 days of power outage during Hurricane Sandy when a 60 year old Maple came crashing down into the back of our home and bedroom, followed 5 mins later by power outage...and again for a shorter time during the last 30" snow storm.
    Last edited by LuxLuthor; 02-28-2013 at 02:49 PM.

Hey Lux! I didn't know you did all that research on the FF3 carrier. Did I miss it or did you not make a thread? I'm hoping the bigg difference for me between my FF3 recently sold and the new FF4 will be the SMO reflector. Even if the FF4 was going to have the same power, I'd buy it just for the SMO. The higher power is jut icing on the cake.
    WWII 60" Carbon Arc (Sold), 1.6KW NightSun, 1KW VSS-3A, .8KW TrakkaBeam, 600W M-134 Light, 500W X-500-14s, 500W Starburst, 500W A120b, 450 Watt AEG German Leopard 1 Tank Light, 300W Locators, Megaray, 150W Communicator, Maxabeam Gen3, Pichel 75W Mini-Novas

After having some issues with a few cells I only use Panasonic ncr a or b protected cells. The few extra dollars are more than worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by BVH View Post
    Hey Lux! I didn't know you did all that research on the FF3 carrier. Did I miss it or did you not make a thread? I'm hoping the bigg difference for me between my FF3 recently sold and the new FF4 will be the SMO reflector. Even if the FF4 was going to have the same power, I'd buy it just for the SMO. The higher power is jut icing on the cake.
    I just did it for my own peace of mind, and curiosity. Probably should have posted all my results, but didn't. I have to say that I was a lot more impressed with the FF3 than I was expecting to be. Wouldn't dream of selling it. Hell, for that matter, I don't know if I've ever sold any of my lights. LOL!

I'm in for one too.

Unenlightened

updated OP

I already emailed, and I'm on Lips list, but I'll post too. I'm in for one.

I might be in for one....would like to know the specs first

Lux, thank you for the feedback man. I know you're a li-ion safety maniac, which is great because anything you own, you've done homework on. Great tips and ideas!

I didn't know you had a tree come through your house and power failures. I guess I better get down the the cafe a bit more often. Sounds like a crazy story. Btw, you should sell one of your lights just so you can say that you have..haha!

I really hope this goes the way of a smooth reflector.

Just got the last of the "replacement value" insurance check to have all the damage fixed which is half as much as the whole house cost originally!!! If a tree falls down within an inch of your home, there is zero coverage for anything, but if it touches your home, they've got boatloads of money to send you--even including the broken grill, and damaged slate stones in back yard.

I'm not sure if everyone should be updating their name on this list, since Lips is doing a real GB over at FF, like he did with the FireFox 3.

Unenlightened

I am by no means trying to do a gb or steal anything from lips i was just keeping a list of people that would want in on a gb, then when a member decides to do the GB i can give them a list of members that are already interested. I am not trying to step on anyones toes and i will take it down no questions asked if it is causing any issues.

Can anyone speak to how loud the FF4 is in operation?

I don't believe there are any in the hands of individuals not connected with design and production yet.

Quote Originally Posted by mhemling33 View Post
    I am by no means trying to do a gb or steal anything from lips i was just keeping a list of people that would want in on a gb, then when a member decides to do the GB i can give them a list of members that are already interested. I am not trying to step on anyones toes and i will take it down no questions asked if it is causing any issues.
    Sorry, I didn't mean it like that...rather was just saying more for informational purposes if people REALLY want to get one, there is the actual GB list on the other forum they should know about.

Quote Originally Posted by LuxLuthor View Post
    Sorry, I didn't mean it like that...rather was just saying more for informational purposes if people REALLY want to get one, there is the actual GB list on the other forum they should know about.
    Im for one also!!

Any further update on when this will be available?

I've seen nothing contrary to the April anticipated date.

Count me in please.
    the harder I work, the luckier I get.

*Flashaholic*

Sigh

OK, I'm in.

BTW - What about 18650 IMRs?

count me in for one as well
    Incand: Surefire A2-HA-WH/9P-_FM-D26-WA1164, FM-2x18500-WA1111, Mag11, Mag85-FM3V, Mag61, Mag275 /// LED: Surefire 6P-_Malkoff MC-E/6P-_Q3-5A/6P-_Q2-5A/C2-BK-UV/G2-_Q4-5B/G2Z-M60R2, Arc-AAA 375nm UV /// HID: Acro A3100, Havis-Shield

Flashaholic*

I want in on the GB, what is the email/link please?

Unenlightened

Quote Originally Posted by BeastFlashlight View Post
    I want in on the GB, what is the email/link please?
    http://flashlight-forums.com/index.php?topic=13795.0

Flashaholic*

Just so I don't mess up anyone's list i didn't go thru with emailing Lips, I thought it over I'm not an HID person

Unenlightened

Quote Originally Posted by BeastFlashlight View Post
    Just so I don't mess up anyone's list i didn't go thru with emailing Lips, I thought it over I'm not an HID person
    You have nothing to worry about lips is just an interested list for now then when he find out price, time frame, etc it will become an official GB. as for my list it is nothing at all really lol I am just notifying people where his list is pretty much no need to apologize!

I was browsing for HID lights on ebay tonight, and eventually wound up in this thread. Based on what I've read so far, it looks like the FF IV is going to be the best bang for the buck right now. Is there anything else comparable that is worth considering?

Flashaholic*

"Is there anything else comparable that is worth considering?"

The closest thing would be the FFIII of which there are a couple up for sale right now for around $250.
    SPY 007 XM-L2, BVH 150w Vec192 HID, Gen III Maxabeam, Barn Burner, FireFoxes III & IV, Mac's Customs 3840L & Damascus/Cu/Al Tri-EDCs, ma_sha1 FrankenMag, Drake, MF Scorpion 4x XM-L2, Tri-219 EYE10, XP-G2 X10

Thanks for the reply and 411, Colonel. I think I'll hold out for the FF4.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678912 ... LastLast