How hard to push XP-G2 R5?

jkpq45

Newly Enlightened
I've got some XP-G2s on the way (XPGBWT-L1-0000-00H51), bin R5. The datasheet lists current flow up to 1.5A at a potential of 3.1V.

I know some of you guys have pushed these LEDs harder and higher. Any helpful links?

Is there any inherent ability in the LED to resist current flow (in other words, I need to add a current-limiting resistor, correct?)

Please bear with me--I'm a Mechanical Engineer and just getting into the "magic blue smoke" part of the hobby. Leave the machining and heat-sinking to me!

I appreciate the help.
jkpq45

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ask vinhnguyen54. He mounts his emitters directly onto copper and has made some mind-boggling achievements.

Like driving XP-G2 at 4A, if I remember correctly...

jkpq45

Newly Enlightened
Wow, he has done some interesting things. Thanks for the ideas!

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
i,ve read on fnf xpg2 soldered to copper (bare xpg2, no star)can put out 1000lm at 4 or 5 amps.

but i doubt it will last long at those currents.

Last edited:

newbie66

Flashlight Enthusiast
How bright can one LED go? Some of the new flashlights with single LEDs can reach 1000+ ANSI lumens. Can they go much higher than that or would it break the LEDs?

Dr.444

Enlightened

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
if the xp-g2 was mounted to copper star, it could easily go further ^mA

xpg2vsXPG.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
what copper star are you guys talking about??
led tech.de star that has led sinkpad sitting directly on copper? (afaik they only build it for xm-l).

or just regular star with insulating layer between copper base and led sinkpad?

if you talking about second, than it really depens on insulation, how heat conductive, and thin it is. not material of the base. copper may not make much difference if insulating layer is too thick.

same as if you put a plastic bag over your head, and open window, fresh air wont help you breathe any easyer unless the bag is off your head.

jkpq45

Newly Enlightened
alpg88, your point is well taken. Be careful around plastic bags nonetheless!

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
oh, how could i forget, the sinkpad.
yes these are great, no doubt,
i wanted to buy few but they have 1000pc min, if i understood them correctly. :sigh: