Modifying the Fenix PD20 with XP-G2 R5

SMI

Newly Enlightened
I currently have the Fenix PD20 R5. Would it be possible to reflow this with a XP-G2 R5? I've only ever swapped an led once on a quantum. So I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to all that.

I really dig the PD20 UI, not a huge fan of the PD22. Was hoping to get a little better throw and maybe some better runtimes (battery life already is already pretty solid).

Any advice, tips, help, etc is very much appreciated.

I thought I did read that is was pretty tough to get to the actual LED on fenix lights. Maybe I was mistaken.

Tiresius

Enlightened
IIRC, Fenix lights are loctited on and accessing the gut of the head is hard. It's possible but you may risk damaging parts of threads. I'm not entirely sure of which models is glued down but I ran into a TK20 a couple years back and it was glued down.

It's possible to get the head apart but would require lots of muscle.

Others can correct me if I'm wrong.

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Every Fenix I've seen is well Loctited. Loctite says that 250C of heat will break down the material enough to allow disassembly, and I've found this to be true, although it is still never easy. I use a heat gun to heat the head until it starts to, uh, smell hot, and too hot to touch. If there is any plastic in the head, it is probably doomed with this much heat, although I have not had a problem with wire insulation, rubber O-rings or the orange Fenix centering jigs so far. If the lens or reflector is plastic, I think that is a problem and I would count on just replacing that.

Next, I have a very sturdy, rubberized tubing vise (aka, my bicycle work stand) and some sturdy rubber strap wrenches. You typically leave the head screwed onto the body for added strength during violent attempts to break the Loctite.

IIRC, your light has an XP-E which I think has the same footprint as an XP-G, so a reflow should be fine. I just check the dimensions on the Cree datasheets first. Changes in beam pattern or runtime are very difficult to predict.

SMI

Newly Enlightened
Thank you both for the information, you have helped me greatly. Seems like this may be something that is above my experience level. I'd still love to do it, but seems like I may mangle me light in the process.