Have a cup of coffe & enjoy new flashlights

gradio

Newly Enlightened
New lights lately, at work, I'm loaded, on me (Olight i1, Jetbeam RRT-01, Nitecore EA3).
Others that carry lights at work, are typically very cheap lights (local off the shelf), and a handful AA mag lights. I used a AA mag light for some years myself, added a Pellican 2360 and a couple of Inova lights a few years ago, and there been occasional talk regards to my lights.

I been waiting for the "whip out & fire" opportunity when others are nearby, today a chance.
At work, 1st​ official mandatory meeting (aka morning start coffee break) with boss, another upper manager, and fellow co-workers, one of the co-workers standing up against the wall must have back rubbed the light switch causing lights out. Not total darkness because light was getting in from the open door, but still, not much.
I quickly whip out the i1, turn it on and slam it on the table tail-standing.
Boss: (picking up the light) wow that's a really small light... nice!
I whip up the RRT-01, turn it on about mid-way, set it on the table tail-standing.
Boss puts down the i1, grabs the RRT-01 saying "Nice!"
Room lighting remain off, so I grab the i1 and bump it up a couple notches to high, now others ooo'ing and ahh'ing, and a few comments like "oh man that's bright", wow", and I hand the i1 to one of the co-workers. More positive comments are coming on.
I get the RRT-01, shine on the wall, slowly ramp down, then slowly up to max brightness and say "there... is that better" and hand it back.
Now conversations going on about nice little lights and amazing how bright they are. They are getting passed around and aimed all over the place. I end up getting the i1 back and set it on the table tail-standing on low and explain the advantages of low light, tail-standing, edc'ing for a moments notice etc., then bump it back to high to again show when more is needed, this little thing can produce but not for all situations like if more throw is warranted.
Now I hear "where did you get these?", a couple saying "I need a new flashlight", "amazing", I can't believe how bright these are" etc.
We'll, as I hear about how bright they are, I whip out the EA4 and while off, tail-stand it on the table. Now all are up to the table, I think eager to see what now. I say when a little more light is needed, this isn't the almighty but will give off a little more than those smaller lights.
All eager and close, waiting, quiet, I snap the button and and the room (white ceiling) just lit up and there were some snap back reactions light like they tried to avoid an unexpected snap-fart to the face. A knee-jerk reaction, or head snap I should say.
All I hear are things like "Oh Sh3t!, OMG!, WTF! and all kinds of typical guy talk.
My response "yeah, I think I need more flashlights" (I know I do).

Well i got more coffee, finished off the pot. I got up, turned on the room lights and started a fresh pot of coffee. They went on & on.
Next thing ya know I say "Look... it's 9am coffee break and I want to go out, have a cup of coffee and do a weather check". Most look at the clock, few at their watch, I hear "wow its already break time again", and I responded "yes it is and I'm not going to miss my break".

I think most of today's was checking out and talking flashlights, way more coffee than usual. Some days are like that when things are slow. A few back at their departments sent others I guess on a mission to check out flashlights.
Still, leaving work I hear one saying to another "I need a new flashlight" when I was walking nearby.
I been waiting for a power outage, but couldn't help to take advantage of a light switch bump with a handful of fella's right there. Besides, it was a non-panic non-emergency situation with coffee in hand. Must have been a show & tell moment, not intentional of course. Meeting: flashlights & batteries.
Glad I didn't miss a coffee break today.:duh2:

Last edited:

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
You should get a tag that says "Flashlight Ambassador" when you come into work.

You also need to get yourself a P60 host with triple or quad XP-G2 drop-in, and show everyone what that sucker will do with a ceiling bounce. They rival the output of 100W incan bulbs, so they will light up the meeting room pretty damned bright.

gradio

Newly Enlightened
You should get a tag that says "Flashlight Ambassador" when you come into work.

You also need to get yourself a P60 host with triple or quad XP-G2 drop-in, and show everyone what that sucker will do with a ceiling bounce. They rival the output of 100W incan bulbs, so they will light up the meeting room pretty damned bright.

Oh I been looking into some high lumen lights... better tell them dark sunglasses mandatory before i touch the power switch. Or close yer eyeballs - lol

add - sooner or later I'll pull the trigger on a thrower.

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
Good stuff! I like how you mention tail standing often. I don't see any reason for just about all lights to do this. The usual marketing cop out "it doesn't tail stand so you can operate the switch with gloves on" is total BS. Fenix has lost a lot of future business from me because of this. If the protruding tail switch works with gloves as it is, setting it in another 1mm would hurt.

It always fun to impress people. I received the same type of comments about my EA4 when I took it to a Christmas party. I left it on the kitchen counter thinking someone may mess around with it. When someone did, I heard a bunch of commotion and comments like "damn this thing is bright; where did you get this?!?!"

gradio

Newly Enlightened
Today, some folks are interested on getting better flashlights for sure. Questions about lights, few about batteries etc. Even caught a few at the computer looking online about flashlights. Few are writing down some specs so seem serious on buying a new flashlight.
Few showed up that heard about it but didn't get the chance yesterday. Those that were, were like "you gotta see this" as they turned off the lights to take over and show them.
Another that brought his light says he was told (didn't say who) that my wife's flashlight would kick his flashlights a$$ lol.
Brought the same plus a few extra's (E2D, Fury & LD12). Glad I used eneloops and have plenty of CR123A primaries.
A few are wondering what's wrong with me and I responded "nothing" :D

Now I have to get more serious getting a beastly thrower just to throw in the mix.